Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Edition of "Hot Rod" by Henry Gregor Felsen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hjfelsen, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Has anyone received their copy of Hot Rod yet? I thought these were due to ship in August then moved to early October.

2. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

No... still waiting... haven't heard anything recently

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. Ordered months ago. Nil heard.

4. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I talked to Holly the other day. The book is ready to go but they are having delays at the publisher / printers. Holly is now working on the reprint of Street Rod.
    36cab

5. I was just wondering myself.

6. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I received an e-mail from the publisher today stating they are 'hoping' to make 'Holiday deliveries'. So, hopefully we will get them by the end of 2010.

7. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Hi:
    I just wanted to update you on the status of the book "Hot Rod".
    They are waiting for the Author's daughter's Intro piece. They are
    hoping to have them in time for Holiday deliveries. Please feel free
    to e-mail me at anytime with any problems or concerns about the book
    and to find out if I have any updates.
    Thank you for your time!

Brenda Abels
    Book Manager
    [email protected]
    800-352-8039 ext 17

8. Gerg

Gerg

I received that email also ordered mine back in august still waiting. not complaining really my son isn't even a 6 months old so he probably won't even retain the fact that i am reading it to him for the first time yet

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Holly - I corresponded with your dad in his last year. He encouraged my writing and now that's what I do (all hot rod stuff).

I'm so stoked about this new printing of his works! You've made a lot of people very happy with your efforts and exposing your dad's gift to new readers can only help carry his legacy (and hot rodding itself) forward.
    Thank you so much,
    Scotty

10. hjfelsen

hjfelsen

Hey everyone,
    I am so sorry that Hot Rod isn't ready yet! I've seen that the Author's intro piece isn't ready yet. I had it finished and ready for the May publication date, but things have certainly been slow. I did redo the intro after so many delays. Am working hard to keep them on track. If we go into January, it won't be the 60th anniversary anymore!

I have waited and waited to get this done, so hope you can all be patient with The Iowan Books. When it is ready, you can always order directly from me, if you want to have me autograph it for you. I'll be able to tell you more about that as soon as the book is in the printing process. Promise to keep you updated!
    Holly

11. Gerg

Gerg

any word lately?

12. hjfelsen

hjfelsen

Latest word is that I am supposed to receive the mock up tomorrow, and it should go to press in January. This has been a long haul!!

13. jangleguy

jangleguy

She ain't jivin', you guys. I know firsthand about publishing companies now and it's not all that uncommon. Should be worth the wait...

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

GOT MINE TODAY!!!! So cool and worth the wait!!!

Attached Files:

15. hjfelsen

hjfelsen

I'm so glad you got it, Bob! I'm also glad you feel it was worth waiting for....it sure took long enough! I am pleased with the quality of the book, though. I think they did a good job!
    Holly

16. BELLM

BELLM

Got mine in the mail Thursday, had not read this since junior high school, probably 50 years ago. Sat down after dinner to look at it, finished reading it about 10:30PM, couldn't put it down.
    Your dad would be proud!

17. hjfelsen

hjfelsen

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book again! I am so pleased that this has finally come to be. I know it would make my dad so happy to know that his fans are still reading Hot Rod!
    Holly

18. jangleguy

jangleguy

The new introduction by Holly is so enlightening, I'm reading the book for the zillionth time with much new insight. Cool photos of Henry and the whole family, too.

Special props to Iowa HAMBer Matt Sullivan, who donated use of his Deuce for some photos! You'll see mention of Matt in the section acknowledging the HAMB!

Very cool, Holly...
    Scotty

19. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

I still have Hot Rod and Road Rocket from high school. They are great. Thank you.

20. encswsm

encswsm

How do I get a copy? Is it on the net some where like Amazon .com?

21. Still waitin for mine............

22. Mine came yesterday too.

23. orange52

orange52

I ordered mine Friday morning, it showed up in the mail on Saturday, and now that it's Sunday I'm halfway through the book!
    Edit- 9:38 p.m., Just finished the book. It's a good read.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  24. Dr. John

Dr. John

25. cwebb3

cwebb3

I have been trying to find a book I read when I was a kid (1970's) that was written in the 50's or 60's.
    It was about a wealthy boy that gets a European sportscar (maybe a Ferrari or a fictitious Italian brand.)
    However, his father loses his job or company or something and he is forced to sell the car to help his family.
    When he had the car he was street racing against some hot rodders and might have wrecked his car.

Anyway, after he has to sell his car, he becomes friends with the hot rodders and builds his own in order to have a car again.

I came across this posting and I am wondering if this was a book by Harry Felsen. Does this plot sound familiar.
    If not Felsen, would anyone know that the title/author might be?
    Thanks
    Charlie

26. Any news about more books being printed?

27. Awsome book ! Awsome lady n i hope your gunna be at torque fest again n bring extra copys cause your gunna need em lol!

28. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read "Hot Rod" in '64. Cars with wooded bodies still scare me!

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I read his books when I was in school in the 50's and 60's. Several years ago I ran across a set of his books in paperback that I bought. His books will always have a special place for me. When this comes out in hardcover version, I will definetly buy that one

30. Willy_P

Willy_P

Hey Holly,
    I read Hot Rod when I was a teen in the 60's and would like to get the new book.
    Email sent.
    Willy_P