Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SF Bay area truck gathering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude_trucks, Feb 17, 2011.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Shoot, forgot about that. I'm not expecting this to be the biggest turnout anyway, but also don't want to make it a one or the other thing for anyone who wants to join us. Not sure how much overlap that might be, but maybe could shift to the Sat before or after. The following Sat. 14th might be a pinch for LazyV8. Sat. 30th, I might have some other stuff, but not sure yet. Have to check.

If there is anyone here who wants to join us and has that concern on the 7th, let me know and maybe we can shift it.

edit: Looks like Meddler1 might have a conflict for 4/30. Meddler1, did you confirm that or are you ok on that?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Sure. Need to keep the participating wheels to trucks only as that is obviously the point of it. But if you don't have a truck by then and want to ride shot gun with one of us, I'm sure somebody will be glad to do it. Maybe just meet us at the starting location and hop in with somebody and somebody can drop you back off there to pick up your car if needed.

3. deflaytedwayz

deflaytedwayz

I'll most likely be at the May 7th event so I would definitely rather it be a different day. Plus if there are any early pickups twell, they could be informed of the cruise as well.

4. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

Waiting for final decision on date. I hope to have my 37 up and running in 6 weeks. ( end of two year build)

5. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

What and where is the truck show on May 7th?

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Flootie, check post #11. I've never been to that show myself, could be a cool show to check out. Maybe should try to avoid being the same day.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

best take a regular ride up Mt Diablo before taking a cruise up there-not best road and not much room at top. May 7 is a day to support the All Truck Show in Redwood City, plus Swap Meet near Hayward Airport.

8. jmdc

jmdc

Sounds good! thanks. I will keep watching this post.

-Justin

9. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

@jmdc....Justin, I will be rolling thru Tracy from Lathrop if ya wanna Shotgun with me.....

10. jmdc

jmdc

Thanks, sounds good bro appreciate it!

-Justin

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

In an effort to avoid the other truck show on May 7th, looks like the previous Sat. April 30th is maybe a better day. Who can/can not make that day? Interested parties please chime in here to let me know on that.

I think I might make a run out to Mt. Diablo this weekend to scope things out and work on some details on that part. LazyV8 might be joining me too, not sure. Will post more info. on the logistics when confirmed.

12. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

30th is good for me....

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

LazyV8 and I went and scoped out Mt. Diablo on Sat. Looks like there are a couple of good options for parking and hanging out as a group. So, looks good as far as that goes. The ranger said no reservations or permits needed and shouldn't be too busy at that time of year, but he said things start to get busy about then and they do have a reservation system. So, I will look into that. But, there are actually a couple of locations that would work and pretty sure we could find enough area in one of them.

Couple things of note, it is up a mountain which is 3849ft. at the very top. The roads aren't that steep, but they are somewhat and windy of course. So, keep that in mind for getting your truck ready if needed.

There also is a $10 park entrance fee for each vehicle, but no other parking fees, etc. Hopefully that would be ok with everyone, but let me know if that is a deal breaker for anyone. If that kills it for too many, maybe need to find a cheaper or free spot somewhere else. But, $10 for a days fun seems reasonable. Helps support the park too.

So, still shooting for:
    1. Sat. 4/30 at Mt. Diablo.
    2. Meet down in Walnut Creek at a Safeway near the north entrance, maybe around 8:30-9:30a. Can get food, supplies. at Safeway if needed. For those who don't have a truck, but want to join and ride with someone, you can park your car here and then someone can bring you back later. But, should confirm rides before so as to make sure you have that covered.

Safeway location:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&amp;q=2941+Ygnacio+Valley+Road+Walnut+Creek,+CA+94598&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=2941+Ygnacio+Valley+Rd,+Walnut+Creek,+Contra+Costa,+California+94598&amp;gl=us&amp;ll=37.925928,-122.015359&amp;spn=0.062426,0.091238&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View Larger Map</small>

3. Head into the park on the north side at 9:30a, cruise up to a good spot to park and hang out for lunch and the afternoon. Looks like the Juniper picnic area up close to the top would be the preferred spot.
    4. Then maybe cruise down and out the south entrance and into Danville and we can hit up a place for a few beers and dinner for those who are into that as well.

Here is a link to the park brochure with a map:
    http://www.mdia.org/PDF Files/MtDiabloBrochure.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. lazyv8

lazyv8

15. sololobo

sololobo

Looks like a cool event shaping up here. Wish I could be there, please take and post some pix from the blast. Cool!, here is a little pic of my pals 35 Ford hauler at World o Wheels in Omaha a couple weeks ago. Dig the Harley tailights on the p.u., Roy can mount his Rebels cc plaque on one and his license plate on the other. Have fun dudes and dudettes. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That's a nice looking little truck. Wish you could join us!

Will definitely post up some photos, etc. when it happens.

Who all is in besides Flootiebuell, lazyV8 and me, maybe flyin flattie? LazyV8 said he can likely drum up a couple of others and I might be able to as well.

17. deflaytedwayz

deflaytedwayz

I should have my truck ready by then. So I'm tentatively in!

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

19. lazyv8

lazyv8

dont be shy..lets put these pickem ups to the test climbing mt. d!! thats what its about..building you rig and putting it to the test ..with killer scenery and company to boot..

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

OK guys, wake up and let's hear who is coming.

Here is what I'm bringing (minus the rocks). Need to do some clean-up work on the engine compartment though, getting a bit tired looking. Radiator needs a pinhole soldered as well. Might have to yank it and have it done pro. Or, might just tough it out the way it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. lazyv8

lazyv8

Motor looks killer mike!

22. lazyv8

lazyv8

Pro-pain!!!!!

23. Oppy

Oppy

I believe I'm in, Is any one taking thier wives or girlfriends? How far is it from where we meet to the top, and is it a real slow ride, if so that's not good for me, my truck gets pissed off going real slow for very long. Damn heating problems.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Oppy,

Myself, I'm going solo on this one. My truck is still basically just a rough old farmer's truck and doesn't have seat belts and not quite suitable to haul the kids around. But, partners/kids/friends all welcome and encouraged. I think the park allows dogs too, but looks like they are required to be on a leash when out.

My truck heats up for unknown reasons when headed up steep hills no matter what the temp. is or fast or slow. Not sure why, maybe a blocked flow thing in the motor. So, depending I might need to deal with that some myself too.

So, if you need to set a faster pace to prevent that, no problem. We can accommodate. Doesn't look like there is going to be that many of us. So, I am sure we can make it work for everyone one way or another.

Your truck looks cool, definitely hope you can join us. Maybe we should get some decals or T-shirts printed up for the inaugural event! :) "Mt. Diablo Vintage Truck Run" That sounds like a good name for it. Maybe I can work up some graphics or if anyone else is good with that and wants run with something, let me know.

25. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

So far we've got me, LazyV8, Flootiebuell, and maybe Oppy confirmed, that's it guys? Come on, we can do better than that.

I'm trying to get my buddy with his nice '57 Chevy in, but he is working on it and not quite ready yet. There's still time and hope for him yet though.

LazyV8, who else do you think you can get to hang with us? Is Flyin Flattie in? Can you get the guy with the T roadster?

Would be nice to have at least a couple of more if we can. But, even if it is just us 3-4, I'm still down for it.

Meddler1, what about you?

26. riley58

riley58

sounds like fun guys. i work on sat, but who knows i could come down with the 24hr flu bug.:D

27. 53chevy

53chevy

Man! wish I could join you fellas. Take some pics and a lot of good looking trucks too. About time someone did a gathering for trucks (hahaha).

Ken

28. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

As long as Im not on call for work (looks good) I should be able to come. I just got back from china and had to check a bunch of dates to make sure before I posted. Hey the wife says ok so that in itself should keep the door wide open! Unsure if I will have a co pilot yet.......

29. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Wish I still lived down there....sounds like a fun run...nice motor by the way..!

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

OK guys, getting close. Let's do a firm head count.

Again, event will be on Sat. 4/30. Meet at the Safeway near the north gate of Mt. Diablo and drive up, hang out for a while eat lunch etc. and drive back down and out the South Gate, maybe hang out for dinner or a beer in Danville for whoever is into that.

Definites:
    1. me
    2. flyin flattie (?)
    3. backyardbeliever
    4. Meddler1 w/ Hoptup Jalop
    5. deflaytedwayz

LazyV8 (out)
    Flootiebuell (out, can't make it)

Possibles:
    1. flyin flattie (in)
    2. Meddler1 (in)
    3. Oppy ( come on, you can do it!)
    4. out
    5. out
    6. T tyme?
    7. out
    8. out
    9. out
    10. Bad Daddy?
    11. out
    12. out
    13. hdh? (bring that Champ man!)
    14. out
    15. deflaytedwayz (in)
    16. fxfxr?
    17. out
    18. riley58?
    19. HVSpeed?

potential riders:
    1. Hoptup Jalop (in shotgun w/ Meddler1)
    2. jmdc?

Brandon, what about your other buddies? Got any of them on board yet?

Unfortunately my buddy with his nice '58 Chevy is not responding. I think he is pissed it isn't finished yet and isn't taking me up on my offers to get it done. All he needs to do is hook up the OD apparently! I'll keep on him.

OK, let's move some names up to the definites list!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011