Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

I have heard about this photo once before, if anyone has that photo please post it I would love to see it! I am stuck home with a broken leg and spent the morning searching the internet with no success (yet) :)
    My brother and I both worked for Phil Walters at his VW dealership in Hicksville NY for many years in the 1970's & 80's. Thanks!

2. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Can anyone explain "Eastern Bandits" being on the cowl of this car???

[​IMG]

3. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Kris ..

Sorry to hear of your broken leg.

I hope that it mends quickly.

4. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Your welcome Ken, I figured you would recognize alot more people in the photo than I can. I have trouble believing the track has been closed for so long already too. heck I still think I'm only 27 yrs old! :D

5. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Spike ..

I don't think I could have remembered that name, but now that you mentioned it .. I THINK that you're right!!!! :)

BTW .. GOOD to see you posting here again.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I think I saw Freddy Harbach in that photo plus a few faces that I couldn't remember their names. Denny Z

7. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

MANY THANKS for all the info and pictures re these two wonderful Vegas facilities!! :)

A quote from the Rachanski Web Site ....

"Gibb Lilly/Bourgnon Kurtis Kraft Offenhauser Midget
    #12 Bourgnon/Gibb Lilly Kurtis Kraft Offenhauser Midget, a very rare purchase as this was the third car that Frank Kurtis built in 1946. After a short tour by Lilly on the west coast, Bourgnon purchased the car and brought it east. Ted Tappet was the primary driver of this car and won many events. Tony Bonidies also drove the car, but unfortunately lost his life in the car."

Did at one point this car become the (Stan) Frankenfield Offy???

The reason I ask is that I believe that Bonadies lost his life at the Williams Grove (PA) Speedway in the Frankenfield Offy.

Also .... I (thankfully) wasn't there that night .. but second hand info had said that the car broke in two???

8. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I thought (I may be wrong) Tony Bonadies lost his life in a roadster style midget and that type didn't appear until well after 1946. Maybe his son can answer that. Denny Z

9. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Did at one point this car become the (Stan) Frankenfield Offy???

The reason I ask is that I believe that Bonadies lost his life at the Williams Grove (PA) Speedway in the Frankenfield Offy.

Also .... I (thankfully) wasn't there that night .. but second hand info had said that the car broke in two???[/QUOTE]
    Ai Rymsa bought the brakes and progressive rear from the car that tony was killed in from hot dog frankenfield. He put them in the #25 checkerboard car that I have.

10. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Ken,
    How come you did not recognize fast Harold on the far left in the 1st pic or his cream and red kurtis in the line up on the 2nd pic. Harold claims that Johnny COY DROVE THAT CAR THE LAST TIME HE DROVE A MIDGET.

11. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

12. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

A couple more views, again that crowd is on the infield the final evening of racing at Islip Speedway NY. 9-8-84.

Your right Denny, I see Fred Harbach clearly in this photo, and again Phil Walters/Ted Tappet is in the photo as well.
    (forgive me for the cage on the 3rd photo, Joey Payne's 1st Win)

Rich Oakley Photos

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  13. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Continuing with the Ed Rachanski collection/museum I will repeat the preface from my earlier post…

Ed Rachanski’s collection has the Bourgnon Offy immediately in your face as you enter the office of his building, a side room to the left full of displays, a doorway to the main car display room with fantastic printing on one wall like a Subway sandwich shop only racing scenes, and a stairway up to the second level space that is over the offices, plus the C119 partial fuselage out in a fenced area beside the building.

<O:p</O:p
    Again this facility is open normal business hours and Ed welcomes visitors. The work of putting this collection together and displaying it in a museum quality setting is a huge undertaking. Appreciative visitors are the main reward.

continued...
    <O:p</O:p

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

There are actually two websites. I believe this was the first...

http://fabulousracers.com/

...and has the Rachanski story and the Lencki story that are not contained in the newer...

http://www.vintageopenwheel.com

...which has more and enlarged photos with captions for all.

A few comments and photos follow in individual posts

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Notice the wall in the background of many of the photos on the websites of the main floor display floor with the various racing scenes. I have pictured the Jungle Park section of the wall and a view of the main display floor from the top of the stairs leading to the mezzanine display area.

Attached Files:

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The "Pup" with the 255 and the Trevis with the 4 valve Lencki are priceless. At my age, I can only glance at the younger women but really relate to the older ones. A close-up photo here of the Pup front axle mounting with wood block spacer allowing for the front axle to be moved toward the rear. In the left rear photo note the quick jacking lever on wheels just behind the tire.

Attached Files:

17. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Trevis photos show the rear of the body and the right front suspension. This car is an offset upright mounting of the Lencki six.

Attached Files:

18. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The bare body caption is not quite correct according to Ed. The body was not built by the aspiring midget owner. It is very professionally done, wire wrapped edges, and was probably acquired by him as a start on his quest. I like the uniqueness of the grille without blending into any cheeks on the nose.

Attached Files:

19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Hansen Ward photos show the buck (and the flamed hood mentioned in later post #2062 apparently) (sitting above the show cases in the main display room) that the new aluminum hood was made on that incorporates the wire wrapped flare edge on the formed cowl area unlike Kurtis did with his straight hood. Also the over and under header on the Offy and the parallel torsion bar arms in front mounted where the cross spring was on the axle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  20. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Bourgnon car as was discussed a few pages back, was originally one of the very few early Kurtis cars that had quarter elliptical springs front and rear. These were changed over.

Attached Files:

21. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Reichenbach car is to me a bit bitter but only because I'm an old purest. The brothers were part of the Marchese, Neilsen pre-war tube frame initiators I believe and premier metal benders.

It is what it is, a great example of a somewhat rare later car. A caged car with a straight axle, coil over front suspension, fiberglass body and with the engine that helped kill the Offy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  22. I have wondered what became of this car. Bob Hanson was a good friend. When Cal was killed in this car at Willow Springs, I helped Dean Thompson load it on Bob's trailer. The only real damage to the car was a bent rear axle. When Bob got the car repaired, he asked me if I would drive it for him at a WRA event at Santa Maria. I was honored to sit in the seat that Cal had called home for so many years. Bob brought the car out a few more times, and Walt James drove it. When Bob ran it with WRA it had the white flamed paint job.

[​IMG]

23. Mike554

Mike554
    from L.I. NY

Second shot shows my uncle Len Fucello standing next to Johnny Mann? in the white. Also Andy Furci. George Tet over on the right. Great pics thanks for posting.

24. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Your welcome, glad you picked out your Uncle in the photo! I saw my Uncle Bob in them also! I enjoy the people pictures as much as I do the race car shots.

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

The late Bill Yarroll had a Kurtis like that. The chassis & other bits and pieces of that Yarroll car sat in garage at Dutch Schaefer's home for years.

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Stan ..

I spotted FAST Harold!!!!

Some of the others I spotted (not mentioned so far) in all the pictures combined are ..... Ed Deniseski, Maurice Viette, Norman Gimmler, Mike Collins, possibly Tricky Dick Corbeil?, Mike Calinoff, Andy Furci, Ed & Clara Hawkins, Bill "Wiggles" Johnston, Joe Payne, Sr., Mike Osite (they just ROASTED him the other night), Joey Coy, Johnny Coy, Jr., Ann Gimmler.

If I look again, I'll probably spot even more.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  27. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ken, You mention Dick Corbeil...he taged along with us (Eastern Bandits) one year for a couple of months. I think at that time he had a deal where he rented padded seats with a backrest at Islip. He was quite a character. Maybe hyper would be a better way to describe him. I mean that in a good sense. Denny Z

28. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

as a little kid I made Dick Corbeil a hand painted ashtray out of 2 seashells for his office at the track! LOL, its funny the things that stick in your head from so many years ago.
    And I do remember well, those orange colored seats you could rent too! :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Apparently Denny Z can answer Ken's Eastern Bandits question in post 2042

30. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

28dreyer, No I can't. That's a different Eastern Bandits. I to was wondering where that came from. The Eastern Bandits I was part of was in my modified stock car days, there were four of us Eddie Flemke, Rene Charland, Red Foote and myself. Long before my open cockpit days.
    Maybe Ken Schou, Stan, Wynn's #1, Sprinter 2 or someone else much smarter than me can answer that question, I'm courious too. Denny Z