Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 4 Door Merc Build...Sort Of.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Jun 6, 2010.

1. That Barris car works very well, excepting - as you say - the rear window. Why not use a `51 rear window, since you have the frame now and you´re going for a milder chop?

2. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Missed this thread somehow.
    Its friggin great what you've done, and really lucky considerin your knowledge, you could have ended up in a butcher shop not knowin it till it was too late.
    I really like Erikson's creations, and this will be no diffrent.
    keep up the updates.

BTW, what happened to Erikson's site? tried to go there but it seems like their domain aint theirs anymore.

3. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

This goes back to what I said earlier. This car was just waiting for you to come along and resurect it's soul and to me, that is what you and the guys at the shop have done. Congratulations again. :cool:

The chopped 4 door will be killer. There are plenty of Carson topped cars for now.

What I had in mind was something along the lines of the show names vehicles got back in the 50-60 era. Like the Dream Truck, Ala Kart, etc. Maybe your car hasn't told you it's name yet. Maybe Four-Door Dream or Mercury Dreamin'. It'll come to you. But it should be something that reflects it's and your path to this point, since it is to be your dream car.
    Dream'n'Scream (referering to the dream that caused so many screams), More Dreams (referring to the more doors, which is a term I don't care for in itselt) HRod's Dream, HRod Dream. Good luck with the name and then you will need a showboard and display to go with it too. I think this car will end up being well known especially between the number of times it was sold and then your reinvention of it. Bottomless Dream or Unlimited Dreams also comes to mind. Endless Dreamin' or HRod's "Endless Summer Dream". That's all I have for now. :D

4. Our old web site host is now only hosting for customers who also advertise alot of cars for sale on there site. We are in process of buying our old website adress from the old host. For now you can go to our new website www.exkustom.com

Thanks, Rick Erickson

5. HRod 50 these pic's should help you get a better idea of what your new roof pofile will look like. I know this one is a hard top and a little lower than you want yours. Just imange it a little taller and with window posts & side stainless still attached to the doors and with drip rails. I plan to give it a 3.5" to 4" cut up front = (12.5" to 13" windshield) with 4.5" to 5" out of the rear and relocating a 1949 merc rear window forward about 3"

hammer-time likes this.
  6. Sorry i forgot to upload the pics

Attached Files:

7. sir_ely

sir_ely

from that, to potentially this.....amazing vehicle....looks pretty sweet...I'm sure when you are driving it and you look back to all the great people you've met, things you've learned, you will smile and think, it was just meant to be....and worth it all....

...good luck...thanks for sharing.

8. I was refering to the previous owner("out of sight...)....NOT caring what was underneath. I love the look of a Carson Topped 4dr. Matt had a purple one that I wanted,but someone got there before me. Also,Wiseguy,built a beautiful silver one!

9. HRod 50

HRod 50

Cool Bob, I thought you were saying, if I didn't see the bad metal, and the car looked fine, then I wouldn't have to worry about it.. Which you are right I should have done it that way, but then this car became my sick pet. Like a stray dog I find with a broken leg. Could I just look away, and let the bone set itself in it's broken form, and the dog will just walk with a limp or falll in love with the dog, get it fixed right and we both live happily ever after. I guess we know what route I'm heading..

10. All the way to paint Hugo, or take a break and become a short term member of the primer club?

Hard top 4 doors are pretty hot.

11. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Any updates on the Mercury Dream?:D

12. HRod 50

HRod 50

Smal Update... The body is back on the chassis. Also had one of the doors sand blasted.. I can not wait until the new doors are fitted onto my car. I can't keep looking at the swiss cheese. I'm lactose intolerent. :D

Attached Files:

13. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

It's looking good there Rod.:D

14. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Think I see the light at the end of the tunnel:)
    Did a '49- 4 dr. back in 1957 with '51 rear quarters ( $43.00 each brand new), '51 rear glass ($10.00 cut out at junk yard), '54 Pontiac grille
    ( $14.75 brand new ) Boy have times changed.
    This is it in process (scanned off 35mm negative)

Attached Files:

• 49m.jpg
      49m.jpg
      File size:
      132.9 KB
      Views:
  15. HRod 50

HRod 50

Very Very Cool, thanks for posting...

16. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

This looks great! Did you have to modify the opening to fit those guages at all?

17. HRod 50

HRod 50

Wait till you see what the finished product is going to be. Pretty freakin cool.. Hmm, to answer your question, I do not think so. Rick can you answer?....

Those gauges are awesome in person.. Really really nice..HAMB Vendor...

18. slepe67

slepe67

I like it better now than when you first got it! Keep on chuggin! It'll be driving in no time with the progress you guys are making!

19. Trukcrazy

Trukcrazy

Do you still have this car or know where it ended up?

20. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

The car was sold finished and in primer ( interior unfinished ) about 6 months after the pic. was taken. The last I heard it went to South Carolina. The part that amazes me today is that I sold it for $750.00.
    Not much by todays standards but then it was a lot of money to me.:)

21. HRod 50 I sure hope you are you setting down. Ok it has been raining off and on here and the weather was just to shitty to start any paint real work so off went your top with a few other small items :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Attached Files:

22. HRod 50

HRod 50

The transformation has begun....

"Don't make me Angry, you won't like me when I'm Angry"

To Be Continued..........:eek:

Attached Files:

23. choptvan

choptvan

HA HA! I like it! Messin with the customer! Now that is the kind of customer to have! One that can take a joke! Keep with it man. You will be pleased. Looks like it may be in the right hands now.

24. HRod 50

HRod 50

:rolleyes: HulkCury :rolleyes:

You guys have given me anxiety on top of everything else, like explaining to my wife we can't buy a house now because of this car, at trying to figure out a name for it... :confused:

25. Toner283

Toner283

:eek: Holy Convertible Batman!! :eek:

Can't stop now, finish you must.

I would not show your wife these pictures until after the roof is back on the car. They have funny opinions on stuff like that;)

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Its looking better already :D ! Once that new roof is on there it will be a different car! Keep the faith its in great hands!!

27. I don't recall if you said whether you had chosen a colour yet.. Won't be green will it? If so, you named it already! "Incredible Hulk" your plate could read: O ANGER ...Hah, hah!

Great thread, great car, great builder, great owner (great sense of humour). Wow! I love it!

-Dave

28. HRod 50

HRod 50

Dave,

Thanks for the compliments, especially for my builder, and I tell you if I was going to paint it GREEN with no question I found the name, but the only green I like is money, which I don't have any more of,,,HAHAHA...:(... HaHa...:(..ha...:(:(:(:(:(.waaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

29. Your car has given you nothin but nasty, yet you are giving it the kindest of treatments. I've seen a car called the Cool Fifty. Yours could be the "Kruel Fifty"

Your eliminating all those waves so you could go with "Hugo Don't Surf" or "H50 Don't Surf", "Ex Surf", "No Surf", "Snuffed Surf", "Surf Snuffer", "Zero Surf", "Surf Kicker".

You could name it something refering to its former brass content, like "Brass Cap" like white capped waves, but brass instead. "Brass Surf", "Brass Kicker" I like that one. "No Brass", "Brass Wipe".

"Green to Clean", "Green Sucker", "The Empty Wallet", "Bill Harvester", "Cash Kicker", "Cash Converter", "Cashectomy" run with it.

I like what you are doing. Can't say I'd hung in there as long. Way to go!

Doug.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  30. You could rearrange the letters a little - "Wrecury".
    (Just messin´ - this car will come out great)