Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Build Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrod95, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

I hope to someday

2. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Been slowly tearing the front clip apart to do some patch work on it. Then it will be time to do the body work and break stuff!! I'm a little excited!! Pictures tomorrow

3. robleticia

robleticia

Come on with the pics!

4. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Haha, sorry for not havin' the pictures yet. Had a busy morning..

[​IMG]

Scrap run.

5. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Alright, after a little bit of a struggle, it's ready for patch panels!! I'm excited!!

[​IMG]

Guy is bringin' the motor to his shop so we can look at it tonight or tomorrow!!

6. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

The hunt is back on for a motor and tranny

7. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Learned how to do a patch panel. Me and my dad halved each step so he could teach me and I could learn. Here is today's work:

Before

[​IMG]

Cut out (my dad cuttin' it so I didn't screw it up)

[​IMG]

My practice weld

[​IMG]

And then tacked

[​IMG]

8. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good, you'll get there! It all comes down to practice and practice. Good luck with the build!

9. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

10. robleticia

robleticia

nice work! Just take your time and dont get impatient like I do and warp the metal! HAHA, it takes even longer to get it back straight.

11. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Thanks! Got out to the shop by myself today and welded it up some more ground it down and used a sanding disk on it and cleaned it up. I will have some pictures tomorrow. Still need finished up. I still have more to go.. Tricky things to do.. Oh well, gotta love cars huh? Haha

12. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Hey great build thread and an awesome project! I've got a 51 Mercury truck I am collecting parts for to start on in the near future. It's really cool that you are as enthusiastic about the car hobby at such a young age and learning to weld is something you will use the rest of your life. I am just in the last month of a year long welding class at the local college and it has been a lot of fun. Something I learned in school that I would have never given a second thought too and I want to pass it on to you. With all the cleaning and degreasing you are doing I assume you are using some spray parts cleaner or brake kleen? Please what ever you do, NEVER EVER weld where you have just sprayed anything! If you have a rough surface or pours in the metal where a spray cleaner can pool and you weld over it you can do yourself some SERIOUS harm! Just something to watch out for as you have a ton of car building years ahead of you! Have fun and carry the hot rodding torch high for the next generation! Ken

13. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Thank you for the advice!!

14. the other me

the other me

Great job so far. Keep up the good work and you will have one sweet truck when you are done. Just another side note/advice deal. Make sure you keep your aerosol cans away from where you'll be welding and grinding. A few years ago a buddies 16yo son got some burn injuries when some weld spatter fell down onto a can of carb cleaner and exploded. Make sure to keep them in an area away from your welding/grinding. Good luck on the rest of your build.

15. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Once again, thank you! All advice is welcome!

Thank you!

16. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Okay, so here is what I've been gettin' done. And the stuff I've been usin'. Not finished yet, but gettin' there..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hotrod95
    Hey that a great project! Wish someone had got me started at 14! Project car, tools, shop, tech support - sounds like you got all ya need.
    Keep posting your updates....

18. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Just about everything a 15 year old Hotroder could want:D

And, of course, I got to keep myself goin' somehow:cool:

[​IMG]

19. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Alright, I haven't updated in a while because I've been crazy busy with school work and everything else. But! Don't think I'm not workin' on the 48. More patches done and I am workin' on gettin' more done.

Left emergency signal filled in

[​IMG]

Right emergency.

[​IMG]

And now for gettin' ready to patch the big stuff.

[​IMG]

20. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Looking good , keep it up.

21. You're doing good man!

22. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good, keep up the great work!

23. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Thanks guys! I just got up. Goin' to eat and head straight to the shop. See you on the other side

24. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Like I said, I went out there right after I woke up. A special friend came over in the afternoon so no work was done. But, this mornin' I got the pieces mocked back up to make sure the body lines were good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now I am ready to pull it back apart and do more patch panels! Starting to get tired of them... Haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Won't be able to go out to the shop until later today. Started on a patch to tweak everything back into it's place. Definitely not as easy as I thought

26. Patch panels are fun, wait til you start welding holes in the firewall. Keep at it man.

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks good!
    Its really cool that so young dude starts building cars.After building few cars,you'll have killer skills before you are 30.
    Keep it up!

28. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Oh joy.. Haha.

29. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

That's what I'm hopin' for! I want to build a 20's roadster next!!