Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. sm66p

sm66p
    from gone

Bob Bergeron Collection.

Attached Files:

2. wynns #1

wynns #1

Offy220,Bruce,
    The car is currently in the Thompson collection at Dublin Pa. Jimmy Edwards did the work and has since passed away. The collection is no longer open to the public. Perhaps someone on this sight can help with contact info. Joe

3. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Hey guys: I just finished the Revell Kurtis Kraft Offy kit as the Ken Brenn Offy. Thanks for all the help with the photos to help me get the color right!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Love it Bob! Mine should be finished tomorrow except for the tiny gold stripe separating the two colors. Still not sure how to accomplish that.

5. TommyA19

TommyA19

Kinda surprised that Clauson got to lap the track that fast - 13.672 seconds at 140.343 mph, per Stewart-Hass twitter msg. It's said he held his breath for two laps, and had a blast!​

6. TommyA19

TommyA19

Forgot - Clauson was in Stewarts Sprinter - less wing, I believe.

7. A 13.24 at Bristol counts as the world record for the half-mile? I think not...How about 12.74 instead as a 'world record' for the half-mile? The very same Jason Blonde who went 13.24 at Bristol went 12.74 at Toledo. The winged sprinters and Supermods at Toledo are an amazing show you should try and take in this season. I attend Toledo, Flat Rock, Delaware, Kalamazoo, Berlin etc quite often so look me up if you want to go and hang out.
    I'll leave in the hands of the moderators to decide if it's appropriate to the thread, but since several folks here mentioned the Bristol 'record', I thought people might like to see something even faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTOadrk6onk

"><iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NTOadrk6onk" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  8. jimg12

jimg12

I think USAC considers Toledo as a 4/10 and not a full 1/2. Salem is a little over a 1/2 mile. Winchester is a 1/2 mile. No one answered my question about the track records at Salem and Windchester. Both run the winged sprints but I do not remember the records, except they are very fast, maybe as fast as Bristol.
    Jim

10. jrose7004

jrose7004

1/24th scale? I love it!

11. racer5c

racer5c

Winchester
    Non Wing Sprint Car track Record
    Tracy Hines

Wing Track Record
    Cameron Dodson

Salem Wing Track Record
    Jason Blond

Can't find the Salem non wing track record

12. Offy 220

Offy 220

Joe,

I have someone who is interested in the spares. I didn't realize what the spares were for until I recently talked with George Benson who drove for Maxson & Jeffries when he drove it at the Sacramento 100 in '68. Some of the Halibrand wheels were stamped "Vita-Fresh" but I didn't know what car they were from.

Also, I didn't know the car still existed and a possibility of the restorer/owner needing the parts. I glad to see it restored back to original.

Thanks again,
    Offy 220 [Bruce]

13. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

If you look at the front "bumper" you can see an "A" and just below it is an "H" ! Hope that clears it up for you.. And thanks again Josh for the invite to the fish fry... That is a great looking car!

As Josh Noted Below...
    ALSO NOTE!!! The "H" added below the Agajanian "A". Ol Timer Hoffmans name was Augustus Hoffman, he went by "Gus" so.. the "A-H" fit great for the Owner. :)

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

15. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

[​IMG]

Had the pure pleasure of interviewing Vic Edelbrock Jr. sitting on the wheel of that very car in the pits of Gilmore Stadium... well it is now the parking lot of CBS TV. More info here:
    http://www.harrypallenberg.com/WHER...ot,_Petersen,_Edelbrock,_Sweet,_and_more.html

and here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548965

16. baldtireman

baldtireman

Just saw where "National Speed Sport News" has ceased publication. I guess the "Editor's" lessons weren't enough to inspire those who followed to continue!! I will miss you,old friend. :(:(

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I guess "I was" a photographer for NSSN,never heard of any hints of its demise......Rich

18. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Well Bob alls I can say is

COOOOOOOOOLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for showing, Tom :):)

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Irs30... Ryan, Thanks for the explination and Anytime on the Fish fry.

Hoffmans still put an "H" in there front bumpers to this day.. ;)

JD

20. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

MORE ....

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/more/end-of-an-era-nssn-ceasing-publication/

End Of An Era:
    NSSN Ceasing Publication

by NSSN Staff

All good things come to an end.

And so is the case for America&#8217;s Motorsports Authority, National Speed Sport News. After more than 76 years, the publication, which was first published as National Auto Racing News on Aug. 16, 1934, has printed its last issue, dated &#8212; March 23, 2011.

While hundreds of other newspapers came and went during the past three-quarters of a century, NSSN continued to ride the support of its readers and advertisers in producing the most thorough weekly racing publication on the market. But economic times have been tight and the newspaper business has suffered at the hands of high production costs and modern technology, which provides information to readers instantly.

&#8220;This is one of the saddest days of my life,&#8221; said National Speed Sport News Publisher Corinne Economaki. &#8220;The sluggish economy has made it too difficult to continue publication and no matter how I try to make the numbers work &#8212; and believe me I have tried &#8212; it is just not feasible to keep the business going.

&#8220;For 76 years, since August 1934 when my father Chris sold copies of the first issue at Ho-Ho-Kus Speedway in northern New Jersey, to today, as I oversee the very last copy printed, this paper has been an integral part of my family,&#8221; Corinne Economaki said.

Through the years National Speed Sport News was the industry leader in covering motorsports, much of it thanks to Chris Economaki, 90, who sold the first issue of NSSN at Ho-Ho-Kus Speedway in New Jersey, and began writing for the publication soon after that and became editor in 1950.

Economaki saw the publication through its glory days, launching a career on television and taking his newspaper into thousands of homes across America. In a time when there was no Internet and very little racing was on television or radio, National Speed Sport News thrived.

When National Speed Sport News began its run, there were no seat belts, drivers wore leather helmets and the flathead Ford V8 was one of the most common racing engines. Today, safety is the utmost concern and HANS and other safety devices are all the rage. Fuel-injected engines are everywhere.

Not only has technology changed what fans see at the race track, it changed how NSSN gathered the news. In the early years most news arrived at the NSSN office by mail or telephone. Later the telecopier and the fax machine played key roles. Both were replaced by the computer modem and later by e-mail.

NSSN was printed by linotype, but later changed to phototypesetting and finally went completely digital in 2002.

But after enduring all these changes, a familiar friend will no longer appear at the mailboxes of its loyal readers.

http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/ , the online version of the newspaper, will continue to be updated with daily news, giving Internet savvy readers the opportunity to keep up with some of the same news they enjoyed every week.

But as far as the newspaper goes, it&#8217;s the end of an era.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  21. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Wow- That's a shame. NSSN is the nation's premier auto racing paper, in my opinion.

22. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I fully agree with Bob.

It's sad in many ways, but the Internet is replacing all sorts of traditional media, especially paper and ink publications. :mad:

23. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Sad news, RIP NSSN...

So sad Chris had to live to see this day... :(

(And a slight correction, when NARN began publication, the Ford V8 was far from being "one of the most common racing engines"... it was more like Model A Fords finally taking over from the Model T!)

24. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I've acquired quite a collection of old NSSN... sad to hear that it won't continue!
    its not the same reading online....

Zach

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Super bummer. Where else can we see timely reports in ONE place from local events as well as Internation ones? Gary

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

On my previous post on track lengths, I should have said we measured at the "low" edge of the fast groove. Sorry. Felt it was better to say so than to just edit it.

As for NSSN, so sorry. I wrote my first race report for them in 1952, when I was 13 years old, and was still writing them.

27. deuce354

deuce354

I'm just devastated learning that National Speed Sport News is no more. It has been a big part of my life. I'm 60 yr old now and i started to look at pictures in NSSN before i could read. My dad raced for 35 yr and we always had a subscription delivered in the mail.I sold the paper at the races 4-5 nights a week from the time i was 8 until i was about 14. My dad won 520 feature races and most of the clippings we have in his scrapbooks came from NSSN. I won 45 features in my carrier and most of my clippings also came from there . I have looked forward to every thursday for mine in the mail. I have read every copy cover to cover since the mid 50"s. In the old days we would look for all the races that we could run in, Chris's Column, and the classifieds. It was the BIBLE for racing. Such a sad day

28. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Sad to see the demise of NSSN...

And, indeed, a sad day for Chris. After a 77 year run nothing is sacred. A part of motorsports died this week.

I'm proud of the fact that I penned a weekly column for NSSN in the late 1960's and early '70's.

RIP...

LM

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

One would hope that Mr. E had been doing his best to sell his enterprise, eh? No takers? Sure would have been cool ifn a transition between his rag and a new owner could have happened without missing a beat. Perhaps it still can, but with a break in coverage.

Also wondering, where will his archives go? Hopefully to some big collector or, better yet, the Smithsonian. It'd be great to see a big full scale diorama of his office at some point in it's storied history along with displays of vintage auto racing. Any takers out there, like perhaps Mr. Poteet or one of his pals? A big auto museum? The folks in Knoxville, IA? The Indy Museum? Gary

30. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

His archives are part of the collection at EMMR I believe.