Register now to get rid of these ads!

McCulloch flathead blower, who else here has one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, May 15, 2006.

1. Here are a couple of pics of mine. I'd like to see pictures of others. A friend of mines father in law had this on a 32 roadster but the car was never driven and it was taken off. I did some fabrication for him and got it in a trade. It has been modified some time in the past by somebody who removed the water outlet from the top of the housing and filled the hole with some kind of epoxy. I smoothed it out and painted the top and the intake manifold with high temp SS paint from Eastwood, good stuff. This unit was in good working condition when I got it but I took it apart, painted everything and reassembled it with SS bolts as I knew it would see alot of weather. There are no bearings in these blowers, only bushings.
    Before the blower I was running 2 94's on a Navarro intake and it ran pretty good but there was a noticable power increase with the blower. Not at lower speeds but whe you get on it it pulls alot harder. It's alot louder too! I've read that they put out 3 pounds of boost but I've seen my boost gauge go up to 5 pounds. It as a neat whistling sound too and a real mechanical whirrr if you put your ear by the carbs at idle. They were only made from 1937-1940 so I Guess that's why you don't see too many. I got the 2 carb Almquist adapter from my friend Arron, AKA Savage. I had to fab up a new drive system as I have a late model flathead, my neighbor 2 doors up machined a new upper pulley for me in his garage. hblower.jpg

hmyrpatwrk.jpg

hblwrply.jpg
    That's my story now let's hear yours and see a few pics

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. BTTT, I know there are others out there, is there an earlier thread someone can give me a link to?

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

my old one.

[​IMG]

The plumbing from the factory. These were made for big trucks that hauled loads in the winter too.

[​IMG]

The impeller

4. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

I have a Judson, but the damn thing weighs about what a v8-60 would. Who rebuilds this stuff as I can't get Judson to even answer their own phone or fax?

5. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Last I knew Mooneyham's still worked on rebuilding any kind of blower. However, with the passing of Gene I'm not certain if this is true. Wouldn't hurt to give them a try.

6. Elrod

Elrod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    elgringo71, kidcampbell71 and Cosmo50 like this.
  7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That's kickass elrod! Nice find!

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Did you pick that up in OK? Nice looking supercharger

9. Elrod

Elrod

Yup! I was excited to find it. I want to open it up and check out the inside before trying to wind it up. The story that I got was that it came out of a 1940 Ford coupe that used to race around Tulsa. It was pulled sometime in the late 50s, early 60s and sat on a shelf. UNTIL NOW!

10. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Congratulations on finding the McCulloch supercharger. The model you have is indeed the first design. It was designed to fit the 1932 to 1936 Ford V-8 engine. The rear pulley drove the generator that was mounted in the middle of the head. Put it on your car and enjoy the questions that you will get. If it is in good shape you should get about 2 lbs of boost or maybe 3 lbs. on a good day. A trivia note - in the 1940s those blowers were nicknamed "cream separators" because they looked like that.
    Here is a picture of the McCulloch on my wife's '40 convert.
    Don
    www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com

Attached Files:

11. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

Our's is 1937, with blocked water fittings.

Attached Files:

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I remember looking at it thinking that it was a great deal.

13. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah Larry. I did some negotiating so I think it worked out to be a great deal!

Anyone have the dual pulley water pumps and crank pulley for sale?

Don (or junkiegene) - I've got a few questions for you on hooking up the blower and wonder if I can contact you, or just talk here...

1) Why are double water pump/crank pulleys necessary? So that the blower doesn't slip?
    2) I don't have an idler pulley. I read that they pushed up from under the belt, but don't know what they look like, or how to mount it. Do you know of one, or a suitable replacement?
    3) What is the hole on the aluminum top for just behind the water outlet? Pressure gauge? I notice on your wife's car, you have a hose going to the firewall, but also down into the engine.
    4) The bottom of mine has a drain plug. I notice in pictures that this is some kind of large oil line or something. Does this drain back into the valley? Do you drill the intake and plumb this line there?
    5) I think I see an idler on your generator belt, but not for the double belts on your water pumps. Are you using two idlers?
    6) I was going to ask what number yours was, but I don't see tags on either of your units. Do you know the number?

I did find a picture of the rear mounted generator below. I also noticed that my bottom gusset is a rectangle plate that someone notched for clearance, but all the other photos I've seen have been triangle plates. Do you have the solid rectangle plate, or the triangle bottom gusset? (mine is a little hard to see with the shadow under the snout)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Heres mine,waiting for the right project. Gary:D:p

Attached Files:

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The truck and bus water pumps have the dual belt pulleys that you want. They can be pricey because of the the need for these blowers. Norm Frick used to make custom pulleys including the multi-belt crank pulley for the flathead. I don't know if he still does or not.

The one that I had came with the intake that let the oil return to the crankcase through the support right behind the pulley. I'm not familiar with the early style.

16. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks for the heads up Tommy. I located some NOS truck pumps, but still need to locate the crank pulley. I believe pictured below is what I need to locate...

Attached Files:

17. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

Elrod, sorry I missed the post with your questions first time around. The port next to the water port I believe is for vacuum, could be wrong. I use the Gen for belt tension, no problem so far with apx 5 TH miles on it. Hoping to make up some type of tensioner sooner or later. Originally the oil drained back through the original manifold, ours is set up with hose going to fitting on oil pan. Feel free to PM me, I'll give you a number to call me if you have more questions.
    Ron E.

18. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

This ones going in my buddies '36 Pickup with a 2 speed rear end. Should do 70 MPH all day long, or so he tells me. Hear it run on this stand on youtube under supercharged flathead
    [​IMG]

19. bates

bates

Here is one that I made and cast the manifold for a roadster that dad did for a customer, got a unrestored complete blower setup that he wants to sell if anyone over here wants to buy one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hfh and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. Elrod

Elrod

Bates? Did you cast that top stromberg splitter? Do you have any more detailed shots of your casting? Looks great.

How did it perform with one of the carbs not directly over the intake of the blower?

21. bates

bates

Hi, Yep sure did, It runs great more like driving an OHV. Not sure how much improvement there would have been if they were centered, but we went with the positions that looked good when they showed through the hood. the manifold is angled the same as the hood so they sit the same distance through the top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also had a nice new name plate made
    [​IMG]

22. Nice work - your old man did a TOP job on that roadster !!

Well done !!

Rat

23. ragno

ragno
    from italy

...this is my mc culloch,on franch flathead and 34 3 window,runs great,but much work to fit it!!

24. ragno

ragno
    from italy

25. Elrod

Elrod

Ragno. Great job! Looks really nice!

26. IMG_2544.jpeg Time for a bump and maybe some more info !! Just picked this one up

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  27. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I’ll bring this old thread back. I just got one. It’s a pretty complete setup in nice shape. I’m pretty excited about it. I finally found the time to pick it up. It doesn’t have the name plate on it.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and kadillackid like this.
  28. Time to bring this old post to the year 2022.

29. desotot

desotot

My friend has one, I don't think he ever used it though.