Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moefuzz

moefuzz

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

3. moefuzz

moefuzz

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is what happens if you dont slow down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I love it when this thread takes on a theme like this! :D

How cool was this Frazer Vagabond that Moefuzz posted!

[​IMG]

I have a thing for old cop cars in general, I have a 72 Coronet Police car I am building!

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

Busted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

I have been lucky enough to ride in the front seat of a cop car, wish everyone could be so blessed with such an eye opening experience.

8. I thought it is quality, vice quantity. I post both ways, sometimes related pics go in one post, unrelated - not. I don't look at #s of posts but at the pics posted anyway. Didn't know it made a diff, but just appreciate anyone who takes the time to post these great memories of days gone by for all to share.

9. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I only asked about it out of curiosity, it makes no difference what someones post count is to me, 2 or 20 000, it's what you post that counts.

I've been in the back several times, but I've never done anything to warrant it, I was the usual suspect for years ut here for no reason I was ever aware of... did you know that if you have big feet it's extremely hard to get into the back of a P17 Crown Vic with the cage in it... my feet are size 17's and i am 6 foot 2, not a very comfortable car! LOL

Photos!

A friend sent me these a couple years back, so I don't know the story behind them, I bet they are in the Wisconsin vicinity.

1936 Ford roadster police cars.

[​IMG]

A Police officer helping push a Model A

[​IMG]

This last one is not a really old photo, but it is an old Police car (RCMP to be accurate) that I know of in Edmonton...

[​IMG]

10. moefuzz

moefuzz

^^^ Interesting pics,;) ^^^^

you can bet they just got saved to the hard drive under the 'police' file/cabinet

The roadsters are unique!, Lucky cops!

:)

11. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

Buffalo, Barne's and Hengerer building

[​IMG]

Shelton Square in the 50's
    From WNY Heritage press.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

Erie County Savings bank, Buffalo.
    Long gone

[​IMG]

13. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Delaware and Chippewa in the 20's
    WNY Heritage Press

14. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Crystal Beach Miniature railroad, 20's

15. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buffalo Courier-Express October 17, 1952
    100,000 Visit Thruway Plaza Opening ​
    An estimated 100,000 persons arriving by autos, buses, and on foot invaded the new Thruway plaza at Walden and Harlem yesterday afternoon and evening in what plaza officials called the most spectacular opening of any building development of its kind.
    The crowds saw the $7,000,000 plaza - the largest in the state and second largest in the country - sprawled on its 69-acre site exactly as it lookedo n the architect's drawings.
    Police Chied Walter J. Marynowksi of Cheektowaga said the 3,000 car parking area in front of the plaza was filled within 50 minutes after opening ceremonies at noon. A police detail of 50 kept traffic moving smoothly and directed the overflow of about 1,000 cars to the rear parking area. Marynowski estimated 50,000 persons visited the plaza within four hours after it opened.
    "Shopping once was a chore and burden," declared Sigmund Sommer, president of teh Sommer Bros. Construction Co. of Iselin, N.J., which built and will operate the plaza. "In design of this new plaza and of each store, we have tried to turn shopping into fun for the whole family."
    The carnival atmosphere at the opening was aided by the presence of the Cisco Kid, Western television star, who gave out some 25,000 autographed photographs. He left the Thruway site briefly to visit patients at Children's Hospital and at Immaculate Heart of Mary Orphanage.
    In the "bit top" behind the plaza, children watched animal acts offered by Gengler Bros. Circus. The circus and the Cisco Kid will remain at the plaza through tomorrow.
    Also present for the opening ceremonies were Abraham Sommer, vice-president of the construction company, executives of the firm who have stores in the plaza and supervisor Benedict T. Holtz of Cheektowaga. Holtz cut the ribbon and accepted a television set from the Sommer brothers for the orphanage.
    Several stores in the plaza are not yet completed and a 30-acre adjacent lot is reserved for possible later additions. A department store is scheduled to be added to the plaza next year.

And later this became the Thruway Mall.
    And degraded into almost nothing, the Walden Galleria is now just down the road, and is now the "mega" mall.
    Interestingly enough, The Thruway Mall, has gone back to the Plaza format, and is doing ok.

16. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Hot is hot...
    Swimsuits of the '50's seemed much more alluring when less was revealed.

[​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

thats Dan Nevreth local DJ from legendary WKBW in buffalo NY

18. John F

John F

[​IMG]

Man, this one brings back memories! I had one of these when I was about that age and my cousin had a tommy gun. We tore up my grandmothers house that Christmas. :) My father reminded me of it when he bought my daughters radio shack fire chief helmets (with lights and sirens) when they were about this age.

Trojan Horse likes this.
  19. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Inside of a Greyhound bus station from Belvedere Junction, New Jersey in 1948.
    That's how most of them looked.
    Cigars, smokes, candy and Chicklets plus newspapers from everywhere.
    Black jack gum.
    These people sure look pround.

[​IMG]

20. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

Mmmm...not really.

21. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

22. swi66

swi66

WOW, and I didn't even recognize him either..............

He is listed in the DJ section at the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Grahame and Paul, keep on posting, men. The many, many compliments and THANKS you have gotten are strong testament to the esteem in which your contributions are held. From my own experience, I know it takes far, far longer to dig up a rare pic people will enjoy and bother to take the time to include valuable links so that interested parties may go and read/see more. Way more time-consuming than just looking at what someone else posts and then entering a one-liner criticism. Check the positive comments from LN7, Raceron, Doc and MoreFuzz. :D

I would add, the frequency of "complaints" about this broad-ranging thread have become fewer and fewer. The justification is always the same: It's one of the more eclectic threads on the HAMB, and if Ryan and the editors -- who know quite well what they feel is within guidelines -- didn't like something going on, they'd be quick to tell us to get in line. :mad: My response to critics is a two-parter, paraphrasing our brother Mazooma: If you don't like something, SCAN ahead, and there's sure to be something more to your liking. Better yet, save the one-liners, and post something yourself. :rolleyes:

And rest assured, free speech is cool, and your opinion does get due consideration. I think the discussions here have been fair and open enough that it benefits the thread overall and keeps content REVELANT, never OT too far or too long. :p Given the rough-house stuff I've seen on some other threads (and let's not even talk about other forums! ugh), this one's darn civil, virtually self-policing, content-wise. No, it ain't perfect, but this, IMO, is what the HAMB "community" is really about. :)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it -- but, we can ALWAYS refine, right? :p

Now this Stude . . . I've seen a lot of these but never, ever with such a beautifully ornate bumper w. guard. Even at their best, most optional bumper/grille guards have always looked sort of "tacked on." This one almost looks as though it could be grafted into a CUSTOM, as-is, and make a heck of a grille! :cool:

[​IMG]

(Jeez, I hope I didn't drive up my SMILEY count too much for this month! LOL)

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Opened in 1950 in Gatesville, Texas, The Last DRIVE-IN Picture Show helped
    make Texas the leading state in drive-in count. Today, only some 16 drive-ins
    survive. Watching a movie from your own car, fresh air, movie popcorn and
    a fountain drink, now THAT was living in the '50s and '60s! And some of the
    DOG movies were in a teens-ploitation genre practically all their own!!!

[​IMG]

What's left of the Hartford Drive-In Theater, Berlin Turnpike, Connecticut

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

1959, starred Playboy bunny Yvette Vickers. Bad?
    Sheesh, gets a 9 in the Chees-O-Meter, folks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAMBers, all of the B-movie posters I showed are available for
    reasonable dough on eBay, by title, should you want to give your
    garage or den some Drive-In atmosphere! Unless you're a poster
    afficionado, you probably don't want to buy the originals, which
    can go for hundreds or THOUSANDS! Wow, if we'd just known
    back in the day, eh? :eek:
    <!-- / message -->

29. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

30. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I like the way they left the "front window" open so the radiator could get air, but wonder what the hell those giant headlights came off of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.