Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best comeback when someones caps on your car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoxSpeed, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

You ever have someone say, "I would have done this to the car if it were mine.", or "Why did you do that", or that color is wrong, you get the idea. What's the best comeback you came up with? Mine: "I had just bought a pretty straight 36 ford slantback, stock with no rust but needing a restore. I mentioned to a guy at the local hang out that I was going to street rod it. He told me that I was wrong, make it stock, and that's what he would do if he had been there when the car went on sale. There were about 6 or 7 guys around, I told him that since he wasn't at the sale, I would sell him the car right now for what I paid for it and he could restore it stock. He mumbled something and walked away".

2. Most of the time when you say, "ok, where's your car? Let me tell you what I would have done to it" Then they back pedal b/c they don't want to hear your opinion, or they don't even have a car there.

3. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

People who criticize other peoples cars and trucks are assholes anyhow. My best comeback - I told this old dude that I was going home tonight with my 23 year old girlfriend after he told me my generation did not know jack about cars.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  4. Tony

Tony

I just say "thats nice".
    see my sig line, "WHO CARES" pretty much says it all for me. saying thats nice is just a little more friendly. it just dosent matter to me.

5. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

a 23 year old girlfriend would kill half of those naysayers, thta's before they tell you their girlfriend is 20.

6. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

You can say, "Oh.....let me have your phone number, and I'll check with you before I do anything else to the car."

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This another one of those "tough guy" threads that is so pointless....... "Big thinkers talk about ideas......small thinkers talk about other people"

Ray

8. It's just for fun, not to ruffle anybodys feathers.:rolleyes:

9. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

and you are talking about?????? That makes you a small thinker by your definition. You don't like the thread, simply disregard it. Gary

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

11. moter

moter

Exactly!!!

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I watched an old man and his wife looking over my wagon for over five minutes with their arms crossed and scowls on their faces. Finally I walked over to them and asked if they wanted to know anything about it, and he pointed at the back of the car and told me, "I'd start with that license plate and replace everything in front of it."

I didn't say a word. I don't give a rat's ass what that old fart and his old fart wife think about my beater.

I think it's funny how torqued off some people can get about someone else's car...

[​IMG]

13. badshifter

badshifter

You don't need a comeback. It's not a battle of quips and wits. You just ignore them as if they said nothing at all. Then walk away and go about your business.

14. Diavolo

Diavolo

Depends on the person. If they come off as a know-it-all I say "show me what you built with your own two hands". If they are bitter, sad people I just say "I'm sorry you feel that way." I don't apologize for what I did, just am sorry they are so fucking bitter in their lives that they can't appreciate what I did and be happy for someone else.

15. This should be good...

I did see some lettering on a car that read... "Real men BUILD their cars"

16. wow! I can't believe someone would be that rude!!! Your car is pretty much stock with chrome wheels and lowered no? What a dick!

When I was 16...just finished my '56 wagon and went to my first cruise night with all my car guy buds..... I ended up getting people choice b/c all my friends voted for the new car in the group. About 15 mins later a group of old timers walk up to it and critque the hell out of it for about 15 mins and call it a piece of shit and so on. I walk up and say, "Piece of shit? Really? It's pretty nice for a 16 year olds car, no?" Some wise ass says "what do you care?" I tell him, "it's mine and its pretty sad that all you old farts can do is run my car down and not look at the good in it." I've never seen so many embarrassed faces at one time in my life. That was my very first outting my car. I was SOOO proud and to have other car guys talk all that shit really took the fun outta the night for me. Especially since my car really was nice, might of needed a few things, but no where near a piece of shit. Since then I've just realized you can't let other people ruin your day with their petty comments.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  17. psychobilly57

psychobilly57

The only thing I would do with your wagon is put My license plate on it. Some people just don't get it. It's like seeing a guy with an ugly girl. In his eyes, she's a doll. If he's happy, that's all that matters. He's satisfied. We don't all have the same taste in cars OR women.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Exactly !! If those of you who claim you "don't give a rat's ass what other people think about my car" really didn't, you wouldn't be posting about it. You would have ignored their comments and just went on having a good time.

Beyond that, I don't know how many posts I have read on the HAMB where posters offer unsolicited criticisms of another HAMBer's efforts. Those who post asking for thoughts, comments and suggestions are fair game........they asked.....but many have just posted showing their handiwork and receive an avalanch of negative commentary.

So, post away and flame me if you like, I'm outta here 'cause I don't give a rat's ass what you think about my opinion ;)

Ray

19. most do not have a classic car. they where driving by in there prius or smart car and thought they would look at what there wifes won't let them have.HA HA

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Actually, I thought his comment was kinda funny. I posted it, because the thread poster started a thread wanting to know how I responded.

21. mj40's

mj40's

I hate the word début! When I first bring out a new build, I sometimes carry a copy of my title with me. When I hear someone say how they would have done it, I just show them whose name is in the owner line.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

"caps"? What is caps? Did you mena "craps" or am I just getting old or is caps like popping a cap or like "I'll cap your ass"?

23. I stoped doing to local car club outings. oll the trailer queens all polished up. and I pull up in my 32 pb 4 door all orginal that I drove 50 or so miles to here what a pice of shit.

24. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cup a fart and hold it up to their nose.

25. I'm old enough not to worry about what someone says about my car.HRP

26. There are times when not saying anything, says a lot.

27. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

You can fix an ugly car ;)

28. Igosplut

Igosplut

I used to get invites to car shows, but since I never would go most don't bother anymore. This thread DOES bring to mind one car I built in the early 80s in a little one bay garage with just hand tools. The funny thing is, most at the time loved the car. Now, if I show a picture of it, most are horrified, and tell me just that. I had a ball driving it, and only really sold it because I had my eye on another car.. I'll preface the picture by saying all I got was the body (minus the nose) and a reupholstered interior from a guy doing a stock resto and these were the throw-away parts (at that time). I'm interested in what people say here about it....

[​IMG]

29. Sugarskull

Sugarskull
    from Calgary

I usually agree and then ask them what time I could be by their shop for them to fix the problems for free. :D
    Sadly it hasn't worked in my favour yet.

30. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

The ole childhood saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.