Register now to get rid of these ads!

new truck need opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alv, Mar 18, 2011.

1. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Took the words right out of my mouth man! Here's the problem as I see it. Bobber trucks are a recent craze and don't fall into the traditional category, and I use traditional in its absolute loosest context. But, you put enough of them up on a board like this and the new guys come along, see them, and think "wow, I'm going to build me one of those, just like the 50s man!"
    Next thing you know, the place is crawling with them and once again the traditional goalpost gets moved a little further back to accommodate them. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a diehard traditionalist Nazi, I mean I run radials and a tilt column for Christ's sake, but I do come on here and expect to see hot rods and customs then at least bear a resemblance to back in the day stuff. I hate these God damn things, but people are not going to stop building them, and that's just fine, bully for them. Just do it somewhere else please. Maybe now I can stop my lip bleeding.
    Paul

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  3. madgrinder

madgrinder

I like all but the IFS. I dig the bobber-truck look... it's cool in an altered-chassis knda way. Then again, I like customs that have cartoon-ish proportions. They're fun.

Sometimes it gets like an old lady's Tea Room around here... just sitting around looking faux-classy and talking shit about anyone who's not just like you. Don't take it to heart. Build what turns you on.

4. greazy john

greazy john

NO

GREAZY HUBCAPZ CC East Tn

5. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

Nice start on a bobber, Remember it's your truck build it for you not for anyone else's approval !! THE CORE OF THIS HOBBY IS HAVE FUN!!

6. papaford60

papaford60
    from illinois

Doesn't matter what we think, do it the way you want, and enjoy the ride, board is tough today Papa

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The board isn't necessarily tough today it's just that there a quite a few of us that took the mission statement to heart and there isn't anything traditional about this build. I''m sure RatRod.com would welcome him with open arms.

Frank

8. x2...

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

First off, I don't care what he does. It's no skin off my back.

Secondly, he came in here on a traditional hot rod forum and asked for opinions. I thought this would be the exact place to express our approval, or lack thereof?

10. Oh, ahh, hmm, err..that's all I got.

11. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

The cab from what I can see is pretty solid, the front end needs to go and replace it with a dropped axle. Bobber trucks are ugly and I don't see what anyone sees in them but thats my oponion. I would put it on a differend frame or fix that on. You are going to get limited love for that so called truck on this site, it is not what we are about.

12. OK so everyone is trying to be nice, Fab32 is right this is a traditional board.

Someone is going to be offended by the truth here but Traditionaly, and this goes for scooter trash as well as hotrodders, a "Bobber" was a chick or sometimes a dude if you were in the correct city. Either was not someone that you admitted to going out with and you never brought one to a family reunion.

A cut down truck can be very traditional as far as customs go. Two things happened to trucks on the show circuite as I recall that got shortened or lengthened. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

Normally anything that ended up real cartoony in proportion was called an abortion. Since 1974 that has not been a real big deal but prior to that time an abortion was a bad thing also something that you didn't admit to.

OK the thread is supposed to be about everyone's opinion, and not a discussion on what tradition is or is not and I am almost a big offender in that dept. Never the less I am sure that in the whole opinion dept there will be some that like the little abortion and others that don't. I just hope that those of you that are confused can get away from what you have learned in the Hot Rod Culture magazine world that led you here and learn a little about what traditional Hot Rods and Customs are before you get real offended and leave.

I think that with some good decisions and a few changes that truck or the beginnings of a truck that we see could in fact be turned into a very traditional custom truck. That is my opinion. I don't care for a lot of what I see going on in a traditional sense but I really am not a very important person when it comes to style. There are probably others that would be better to ask.

13. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

Well....I believe that StrangeAgent is looking for a fight....well, you have one. Let me tell you something, you want to be a real man, drive yourself to Nashville and come to my house and call me ignorant and see if you don't get a glock slapped into your rt ear.

14. Muttley

Muttley

It looks pretty [​IMG] to me.

15. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

sent ya a pm there Strangeagent...when people dont have the intelligence to maintain a verbal discussion, they resort to name calling and hiding behind their screen names...calling someone ignorant doesn't bode well for how you appear sir.

16. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I need to apologize to others on here for the stupid "glock comment". Not meant as a threat, just a immature response to something I shouldn't have gotten drawn into. My apologies strange agent....not a cool thing to say.

17. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

lol now this sounds like hot rodding. Threatning each other and bashing every ones ride. Thats tradition at its finest. I love it.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I think porknbeaner is the voice of reason here. While we want to think we all follow the spirit of the HAMB with traditional, lots of stuff here kind falls outside the gray area. Stuff like bread trucks and COEs. But lots of people have them and they seem acceptable to the masses. The style of the truck is a fad that many here don't subscribe to, as you can see. Also lots of members here have cars that are way off topic, they just don't talk about them on this forum. If this is the style of truck that you like, and I'm sure it must be, then build it to suite yourself, as I'm sure you will. I have several friends who have been serious hotrodders for years that are now doing the RR thing because they like it, and also because they never go on the internet to have someone else tell them they don't fit the mold.
    Several years ago I was at a big swap meet. Way back in the corner of the parking lot was a little truck that was anything but traditional, completely rust "patina", definitely what we would call by that R word. When I got time I walked out to visit with him. There were 3 dead nuts 32 roadsters pulled over to look. there was 10-12 people all looking at the little rusty truck and not one person paying a lick of attention to the nice "traditional" 32 roadsters. He had attention like that all weekend. I'm just telling that to say it is a popular movement, just not so much will the likes of the HAMB, as you can tell.
    Sorry you got dogpiled for putting up pictures of something you are proud to be building.

19. alv

alv
    from jackson,NJ

thanks for all the replies. did not mean to start a war of words between certain people. will post more pics as i get more done. thanks allen

20. alv

alv
    from jackson,NJ

more pics of the build. have the floor and rockers done body lowered on frame, motor mounts and trans mount in. my plans for the floor are to put fatmat down then a layer of .050 aluminum with a multitude of beads in it to look like a race car interior. put a picture of my bead roller i modified with a winch motor which kicks a** and rolls 18 gauge with no problem. have to take 5 inches off the bottom of each door next. running a t5 transmission so i had to put the trans mount at an angle as the trans was tilted in a camaro for ground clearance.

Attached Files:

21. Here is the perfect chop !

Attached Files:

22. No need to appologize for the war of words. We like to argue and there are probably a lot of innocent wives out there that don't get beat because we can take out our frustrations here in cyborspace.

Once in awhile the discussions get a little heated and someone is going to whup someone else. I personally think that any healthy friendship is going to have that happen. Of course I am old and crusty, maybe I'm am completely off base.

Anyway carry on.

23. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

you are the best beaner...I'm more jealously frustrated than anything. I totally agree. My wife just doesn't get it when I'm on here and when I tlk about the guys on here or the rides. She gets FaceBook (the devils playground) but doesn't get this site...go figure.

24. Great looking floor! Any details on the bead roller?

25. alv

alv
    from jackson,NJ

bead roller i made from looking at others on metal meet forums www.metalmeet.com/forum/index.php it works great uses a hf winch which i picked up for 50 bucks made the bead roller myself a while ago but you could buy one from hf and just beef it up .

26. badshifter

badshifter

Huge difference between custom (a style of build), and customized (a procedure). That truck has been customized (in a bad way) and is certainly not a custom.

That said bobber trucks look to me like somebody forgot to bolt the cab down, and hit the gas pedal, which slid the cab back into the bed knocking it off. Good news, you can fix it by putting that cab on a original frame, picking the bed up off the street, and putting the fenders back on it.

27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The frame looks really strange going up at an angle and I can't say I'm a fan of bobber trucks. I would say a stock frame would look better, your frame looks too thin for the overall look and doesn't flow.

28. sygreaser

sygreaser
    from SO-CAL

chop chop chop chop!!!!