Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a chrome bullet on your horn ring ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Mar 19, 2011.

1. bought a two bullets for my steering wheel. I have seen alot of guys install them on wheels. I'm wondering whats the trick. The horn ring is held in place by three screws. Here is the picture of the ring and bullet. I bought some larger washers, longer screws. All suggestions or pointers would be great , Thank you !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  2. plmczy

plmczy

It was easy on my 64 caddy wheel. I removed the plastic medallion from the center of the steering wheel and used a longer bolt to attach the bullet to the center piece. You might have to customize the length of the bolt to get it just right.

3. Thats my the one problem I have, no center cap for the steering wheel. I was told the wheel was 54 Ford. I may be wrong. The more I look at the horn ring , 46-48 Ford passenger car... Ideas ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  4. nachodog

nachodog
    from socal

On a moon one i had iturned the three retaining bolts so that the widest part of the bolt head was on the outside diameter and just twisted it on with force, hasn't come off yet.

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

You got very lucky there for sure. But, in essence, that is about the only way that it can be done. There's gotta be a way that you can "snap" the bullet off, in case you ever have to remove the steering wheel..otherwise you can just JB weld it on. You're going to have to incorporate some sort of bracketry inside the bullet & some sort of bracketry held on by the three bolts that the two entities can be mated (for lack of a better term), just tight enough to hold the bullet in place, but not so tight that it can't be removed with a bit of prying force. Seriously, I'd gather some lids from jars that might be just the right size to fit into the base of your bullet. If you find one that's tight enough, just drill three holes in the lid & bolt it to the corresponding holes in the horn ring. Then you can "snap" the horn ring on a drive down the road with a big smile on you face. Sleep on it (maybe for more than just one night) & report to us in the morning.

6. great idea fleetside66 !

7. fleetside66

fleetside66

My dirty little secret is that I have the same problem & I've been thinking about it for a while (Ha-Ha!). I've got to get to work on it. I think luck is going to play more than a small part. Let me know how you made out if you beat me to it & I'll do vice-versa.

8. what were you thinking to use for bracket material ? I thinking maybe some the flexible metal strips , or some thin guage metal strips bend tack together. looks like a run to the hardware store tomorrow

9. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

I hot glued an earth magnet out of an old computer hard drive into the center of the bullet. These magnet's are super strong and works great.

10. thanks chilly1, I don't have any scrap computer hard drives ... wonder if you could buy one locally ? Does the magnet effect the column or steering shaft(ie magnetize them after time ?)

11. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

It just pops off when you need it to.

Attached Files:

12. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

I do computer repair have a bunch of them. Your welcome to one if you want. I have not had any problems with it

13. thanks for the offer I'll take you up on that !

14. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

Where in south sound are you located?

15. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Might look cool, but guess where that bullet is going if you get in a car crash...I personally wouldn't want a hole in my sternum...

16. it's not a sharp point on the bullet, the steering wheel breaking would hurt you more.

17. thanks for the input ! anymore ideas ? magnets and make a bracket

18. fleetside66

fleetside66

I didn't think of the earth magnet thing...those are the magnets those crazy Meteorite Men use in the field. Either way, I think it's one of those cases where you just have to fool around with getting just the right tension. I think I'm going to try the jar lid approach first. If I find a lid that is a bit too small, I might try building up the the edges with some of that high quality aluminum duct tape you see at Home Depot. In my '66 shop truck, my center button is held on by two small thin metal prongs that are slightly wider than the cup it fits into. When inserted, the tension of the prongs holds the button in place by pressing against the walls of the cup.

19. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Is there a stud or boss on the center of the bullet on the back side? Some place to screw a bracket to it?

I have a similar cap but it's flat - it's actually a cap from some old mag wheel.

I made a u-shaped bracket with a hole to fasten it behind the steering shaft
    nut and a 1/4 - 20 stud to screw cap to.

You could always JB weld a washer with a welded on 1/4 - 20 nut to back of bullet to mount a stud to....

20. Troyz

Troyz

Mine had a single threaded hole in the center, so I drilled & tapped the steering shaft, cut a piece of all thread to length and it just spins on & off.

21. Troyz

Troyz

22. Dirty54

Dirty54

your horn ring looks like its from 54 chevy. if it is the same a center cap can be easily found and bought then you will have something to attach bullet too keeping it removable. iam about to do mine like that

Attached Files:

23. Thanks Dirty54, I whipped up a three prong bracket from some aluminum I had. I think it will work. Thanks again on the heads up on the horn ring.

24. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

A friend drilled & tapped about 1/2" of the steering shaft and used a piece of all-thread to connect the bullet on to the shaft. Looks great.

25. fleetside66

fleetside66

I can't believe I got lucky, just like Nachodog. I was able to snap on my cap over the edges of the bolt heads. Stuff like this doesn't happen to me very often. I keep looking over my shoulder to see if the devil's there or something. My horn cap is actually an old gas cap that somebody attached an old silver concho to. It came from the southwest & was from a motorcycle. Thanks to this post, I got the initiative to do it.

[​IMG]

26. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

You may want to consider attaching with spring/s. Thread an eye bolt into the female thread on your cap, make a washer with ear/s or tab/s to go under steering shaft nut then size a spring or springs to go between the two.
    Make sense?
    I used one on the nose of a generator and it's still on there.
    Good luck,
    Steve

27. thesupersized

thesupersized

28. john walker

john walker

kinda like the spikes you see people install along the top of their motorcycle gas tanks.

29. Cumminsf100

Cumminsf100
    from Taylor, tx

Rather take the cap in the sternum...