Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fired up my rebuilt flattie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobscogin, Mar 19, 2011.

1. bobscogin

bobscogin

My freshly rebuilt '42 Merc.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R1bmVJJeeAQ" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

Bob

2. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Looks and sounds great!!

3. Sweet, sounds great what cam are you running in it?

4. Killer! It's weird to see a Rochester on a flatty!

5. Stukka

Stukka
    from SoCal

Nice! I wanna put that on my ipod and just listen to it all day.

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

Schneider cam. Here's the details:
    1942 Mercury 239, bored .060" over (249 cu. in.), Stcok 29A heads, Schneider 260º duration / .355" lift cam, Johnson type hollow adjustable lifter, Lincoln Zephyr valve springs, '49-'53 Mercury intake with Rochester 2GC carb, full flow oil filtration modification with spin on filter, and PCV system.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  7. Great stuff, I dream of the day. How about a break down on the ingredients and such.

Attached Files:

8. bobscogin

bobscogin

Thanks! Yeah, I feel guilty about the Rochester. They came on small block Chevys, and everybody's got one of those.:D However, the Rochester is a great carb -- traditional, cheap, easy to tune, doesn't leak, and bolts right up to the Merc intake.

Bob

9. bobscogin

bobscogin

See post #6. Looks like you got a good start. I've built lots of engines in the past 45 years, but the flathead was a new experience, and none have given me a woodie on start up like this one has.:D It really makes you experience the essence of old time hot rods like nothing else. Good luck on yours --

Bob

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Very cool. But remember, if your woodie lasts for more than 4 hours, consult your physician.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats! Looks and sounds good. Hey...rev that sucker up! lol

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Don't feel guilty about the Rochester. Like was stated it's one of the finest simplest, most versatile carbs ever built. They come from the factory (in different cfm ratings) on just about every GM product ever built at one time or another. I've used them on BBC's (in multiple arrangements) Chrysler and Ford engines and VW's. I held the hill climb record for 1200 and 1600 cc Vw's with them adapted to single port VW heads for over 3 years at the Ogema Sport and Trail hill climbs in northern Michigan with 2 different sized Rochesters competing against Webers and fuel injected rail buggies. A small one on a 283 will net you over 20 mpg in a sanely driven A body GM offering.

Frank

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

The one on my flattie began it's career on a '66 Buick 340. Small base with the 1 7/16" throttle bores. Bolts right on the late Merc intake.

Bob

14. cruzr

cruzr

sweet.........

15. HambBurglar

HambBurglar
    from Cincinnati

Now that's motivational! I hope hear that same beautiful sound later this year. Thanks for posting.

16. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

Very nice. I'd love that sound as a ring tone..

17. t-rod

t-rod

It's always great to see and hear vintage lungs breathing again. Thanks for sharing!

18. capten icon

capten icon
    from Lodi

love the video. inspires me to find a better job to make the money to rebuild my 21 stud. is that an alternator i see on there? if so, what kind from what motor? also, what fan are you using to cool it? thanks for the info. great motor!

19. hasty

hasty

20. Damn that sounds sweet. As has been said, it is music!

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

awesome! nothing quite like the sound of a flathead v8

22. bobscogin

bobscogin

Yes, it's an alternator. It's one of the small Denso style such as used on Toyota fork lifts. I wanted to use a mechanical fan. Fan height with a central mounted alt/gen can be a problem in an AV8, so I built a combination fan carrier and alternator bracket. That lets me get the fan down much lower than if mounted to the alt/gen. If you look closely, you can see that there's no flange on the fan shaft. I'm not going to cut the shaft to final length and weld the flange on until the engine and radiator are mounted in the chassis.

Bob

23. yblock292

yblock292

24. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I'm going to record that sound and play it a night to go to sleep by.