Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Saved the best for last.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gasser Madness

Gasser Madness

Here's another shot of the same car

Attached Files:

3. hemi man

hemi man

My friend joel's 33 willys is coming to the final stages of his build.

Attached Files:

4. bobs36hotrod

bobs36hotrod

HI Again, Just wanted to show you my all new Steel TILT HOOD. Coupe is all steel. I really like how it turned out. Also, if you scroll down towards bottom you will see the Great Super Sonic Race between Willy & the Blue Angels. Thanks, BOB willybobs33 (new email)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The car looks better than ever Bob. When I saw that car in 1979 I was inspired to build one (in 1980 - 1989). Is that '73 Corvette yellow?

[​IMG]

6. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

The car still looks as good as it did 30 years ago. Amazing it's been around so long, and still looks like a modern build. A timeless classic.

7. Weasel

Weasel

What - no posts in several days? Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I had the opportunity to buy this very original (except the 1933/34 Chevy tail lights) 1933 sedan a couple of years ago before Dan Mershon bought it and he had it advertised for resale which is where these photos were taken. I believe it is now with a new owner though....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Weasel

Weasel

Here's an interesting one - looks almost as though it could be stock bodied but there is no record of the factory ever having built a two door sedan. You can see from the rear shot where the rear door has been welded and the pillar cut out....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Weasel

Weasel

Stock as a rock 1935 coupe....

[​IMG]

10. More Stockers!!!

Attached Files:

11. bobs36hotrod

bobs36hotrod

[​IMG]
    Above is the first picture of Willy on the landing strip as Fat Albert's back up supply aircraft for the Blue Angels just landed and getting ready for the big race. Willy vs Angels. See how big Fat Albert aircraft is compared to Willy. Lots of back up aircraft racing equipment for the FA-18 Hornets. America's front line interceptor aircraft for the 21st Century Nuclear power flat tops. WOW! WHAT A KILLER DAY!

Now in the second picture.

[​IMG]
    Now in this picture in the background is the Super Nasty hunter killer FA-18 Super Hornet. Also you will see standing by the passenger side door is me with the awesome Blue Angels support group technicians and mechanics preparing for the all important super race Mach 2.1 between Willy and the big blue super bird behind Willy. Race time set up is approximately 2 hours for the all out super sonic race between Willy and Hornet. The techs and mechanics are fine tuning the 2 big after burning jet engines totaling many thousands of killer raw horsepower. Willybob is now fine tuning the Big Gale Banks Twin Turbo Nitros Proshot Powered engine.

[​IMG]
    WOW! Would you believe that the race is over, the results are in, the will of Willy has clearly been shown. The Master head mechanic and technician can't hardly believe what's happened. Here he kneels in front of Willy and wants to know how this could happen. Mach 2.1 has been achieved, and Willy came in disbelieved. Willy won by 2 aircraft lengths. Long live Willys forever. This is dedicated to the Willys Gang.
    This is a true story???? The best time I ever had with Willy. I give thanks. GOD BLESS OUR FIGHTING FORCES.
    [email protected][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  12. Weasel

Weasel

That's so cool - any photos or vids of the race?

13. jn

jn
    from sweden

i need a fiberglas front for a willys 36sedan. anyone who knows where to buy one? does the 33 front fits my 36 body? i have a front in steel but 3 bodies and 2 of them are missing the front. i want to build one stocker, 1 gasser and 1 custom/pickup. =)
    all dealers in us or europe is intresting. i live in sweden.

14. To my knowledge the 35-36 front ends were never made commercially in fiberglass, but I do know that there are some out there, and perhaps were made by the owner/builder. You'd have to have a very nice original to pull a mold from. The 33-34 front ends will fit the 35-36, and are available in fiberglass. As to whose is the best (fit and construction) I don't know the answer there. I have always been lucky enough to have steel. There will be some others who post here often, that will know what direction you should take. Any pictures of your Willys???
    g-willys

15. Weasel

Weasel

Not quite that simple. The 1935 and 1936 chassis both have longer front spring hangers to support the 1935/36 front sheet metal which has a thru bolt that mounts the front bumper bracket and supports the fender at the front. You will need to fit 1933/34 front spring hangers and, I think, springs before you can mount the 1933 style front - steel or fiberglass.

16. Weasel

Weasel

All steel coupe....

[​IMG]

17. Weasel

Weasel

Ltownrodder's all steel beauty - love your car Randy....

[​IMG]

18. Angliagasser

Angliagasser

Anyone out there have an extra original 33 willys hood ornament they would be willing to part with? I bought one from a guy but it is not original. He clams it was but its not. It looks different then the original ones. Please PM me with pictures of it if you might be will to part with it. This is all I have left to complete my all original metal front end for my all metal 33 Willys coupe.
    Thank You!

19. Weasel

Weasel

Not sure if this has already been posted - Don Sandoval makes many hard to find repro parts for the Model 77. This is his sedan....
    [​IMG]

20. Weasel

Weasel

Old Willys ad....

[​IMG]

21. Weasel

Weasel

Love this shot - if it's a repost - tough!:p

[​IMG]

22. Weasel

Weasel

Although unlikely to have been built with a 1934 nose as production didn't start until 1935, this is a real deal Model 77 PU cab but the home made bed is pretty disastrous....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Weasel

Weasel

Can't remember if this phantom 2 door has been posted before....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Weasel
    Old School HAMBer

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Re: 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread
    <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> Not quite that simple. The 1935 and 1936 chassis both have longer front spring hangers to support the 1935/36 front sheet metal which has a thru bolt that mounts the front bumper bracket and supports the fender at the front. You will need to fit 1933/34 front spring hangers and, I think, springs before you can mount the 1933 style front - steel or fiberglass.

I bow to a higher authority, as I am building my first and only early car (my '36 sedan)...have several 37-42 builds. I will be running the front bumper, so I know of the thru bolt. I have a friend with a sedan delivery that he put a '34 front clip on...I'll have ask what modifications he did to that frame. The fiberglass front clips have been on 35-36 frames quite often...how do they need to be modified?...and how tough is it to put a 35-36 front clip on a 33-34 frame?
    g-willys

Attached Files:

25. Weasel

Weasel

Well hardly "a higher authority" more of a "been there done that". The fiberglass "1933" fronts are commonly one piece flip fronts and are hinged at the front of the frame horns - you still have to modify the front spring hanger on the '35/'36 though. Putting a '35/'36 front clip on a 1933/34 frame is easier - you just weld a box section with a drilled and threaded blanking cap onto the original 1933/34 frame horn so that you can mount your bumper and fender support.

If you do not shorten your 1935/36 frame you would end up with a three inch gap between the '33 front and the 1935/6 cowl. Also you will need to use the longer 1933/34 type running boards with the 1933 front clip - look at the difference between the running boards on the orange phantom two door sedan above and the running boards in the photo below for comparison. I'll try and shoot and post some photos later to illustrate these points.

Your friends beautiful van is a Panel Delivery NOT a sedan delivery. Willys did not make a Model 77 Sedan Delivery - that would have been based on a sedan. The 1935/36 Panel van is not based on a sedan. That's a 1935 judging by the windshield hinges for the crank out windshield (last year for that) - they also have a cut out in the lower valance below the rear door for a spare wheel. The rear valance cut out appears to have been reintroduced in very late 1936 on Panel Deliveries which had the 1937 type pressed steel wheels fitted but the bulk of 1936 production did not have the cut out. look for the dash and the crank out windshield to determine if it is a 1935. The 1935 Panels vans are much rarer than the 1936s - I hear production figures of 88 1935 models vs 370 1936 models. Here's a shot again of my 1935 Panel with one piece 1933 front clip. I am planning on making it all steel one day....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  26. Thanks Weasel...as I said, I am not as familiar with the early cars like I am with the 37-42. I'd be interested in seeing additional photos, just to increase my knowledge base. I did know that the Panel deliveries were not based on sedans...just always refered to them as sedan deliveries. I am sure you have seen a few of the modified sedans that have been turned in to deliveries with a stretched window panel blocked off, and the door welded in. They all look neat to me. Is that phantom 2-door body with the 35-36 nose an earlier body???...the belt line goes all the way around, and the spare tire panel is shorter. Also am aware of the running board difference...my current steel ones are shorter than a pair of glass 33 ones I had at one time from a swap meet. Were the front springs a bit shorter on the 33-34, or just the relocation of the spring perches in conjunction with a shorter frame? I suppose they had to relocate the axle to retain the wheelbase.
    While I am at it, I am trying to put the best and brightest headlights in my sedan that I can...I have a new reflector set up with a bright halogen bulb that I am trying to fit in a pair of stock buckets (not good ones...hate to cut up good ones)...will this work??? I do have good glass NOS lenses! What other ideas might you have?
    g-willys

27. Angliagasser

Angliagasser

Here is a picture of a 36 with a 33 nose on it. Look at where the frame come through the 33 nose. This is the front end off of the Bob Fox car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  28. Wow...that is pretty drastic...even and old dog like me can learn something new. I would have found it difficult to cut those fenders.
    g-willys

29. Weasel

Weasel

Okay guys, after many years of collecting I am still learning about these cars - so much for higher authority eh;). I knew that there were differences on the front cross member and motor mount from 1935 to 1936. The 1936 frame does not have the diagonal motor mount braces which the 1933-35 cars have. I also knew that the 1933-35 frames have the running board brackets riveted whereas the 1936 brackets are bolted to the frames. But here is what I discovered today: the 1933 to 1935 frames are pretty much all the same except that the 1935 uses 3" extended front spring hangers to accommodate the 1935/36 style front sheet metal, but the 1936 frame has 3" longer frame horns and they are boxed and drilled - at least they are on my coupe. If you have a 1935 frame you will need to replace the 1935 only extended front spring hangers with 1933/34 short spring hangers. But if you have a 1936 frame and wish to change to 1933/34 front clip, you will actually have to cut the frame horns 3" and then insert 1933/34 spring hangers.

I sold a 1935 frame last year with the extended spring hangers but do not have any photos.

Here is the 1933 frame with 7.5" long frame horns (angle cut so longer at the top than bottom):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the longer 10.5" factory boxed and drilled 1936 frame horn. My spring hangers have been modified to take a wider (2") spring but the horns are intact.

[​IMG]

And here's how the spring hanger thru bolt supports the front of the fenders which bolt to the valance below the grille:

[​IMG]

Are we confused now? I certainly am....

30. Weasel

Weasel

g-willys, the orange two door sedan is based on a 1935 - the fender mounted tail lights are correct but not Willys in this instance. This is the same body from 1933-35. In 1936 the sedan body was modified to have body integral tail lamps and a different body line treatment as well as the standard spare tire cover to give it a more modern look. here's Mike Nordahl 's (Willys Replacement Parts) stock 1936 sedan called "Minerva"....

[​IMG][​IMG]

For comaprison 1933-35 sedan - gas filler flap is not correct nor are the 3" wider fenders - this is my cutie:

[​IMG]

This is a stock 1933 sedan but 1933/34 Chevy tail lights:

[​IMG]