Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dawford

dawford

Kbeitz,

After my last post I thought about how to make a simple foot operated switch.

I would cut a piece of material for the foot pedal.

Then weld a piece tubing in the middle of the bottom of the pedal for a pivot.

I would then drill a small hole in the bottom of the tube and put a grommet in the hole to take the switch lever.

Then I would position the switch below the pedal with the lever going thru the grommet.

I would install adjustable bolts below the ends of the pedal to limit the amount of travel so that the switch just switches on and off.

The limit bolts will prevent the switch lever from being broken.

The grommet will prevent wear on the switch lever.

Equal length springs on bottom of each end of the pedal will center the switch in the off position.

I would use fairly stiff coil springs and have them just touch the bottom of the pedal when it is in the off position.

Attached Files:

2. RichG

RichG

Yeah, it's called a reversing relay.:D

3. Kbeitz

Kbeitz

Most relays can be used for reversing...
    Most relay have double pole double throw...
    But then you still need a power on-off switch....

4. RichG

RichG

You could use two motorcycle (or Volkswagen) high beam relays also. The first relay would be powered out on only one side, thus being your on-and-off switch. The second relay could be powered off both sides, one side to your forward contactor, the other side to the reversing contactor.

Every time you press and release the button on the first relay, it goes to either its powered or "off" position. When the first relay goes to it's powered position it will switch the second relay to either forward or reverse, depending on what direction it was going previously (it will always change direction on startup).

Now you have one momentary button that will both start and stop your motor while being capable of reversing it also.:D

EDIT: your Harley parts dealer will gladly sell you an overpriced version of this relay, but you can get one over the counter at your local auto parts store for a Volkswagen and save a lot of money. Last time I looked, Custom Chrome sold this relay for around $60, the parts store? $16.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. dawford

dawford

How many amps does your motor draw ?

A simple switch from Radio Shack will handle 15 amps at 120 volts.

Unless you are running a big motor you will not need relays.

Am I missing something ? :)

6. gasjockey101

gasjockey101

man the bead blaster cabinet are a good idea is there a thread on here to show how you made them

7. bkap

bkap

Great idea. It gets a little old having to walk around mine when it's not in use.

8. Just saw a new hack for a bead blast cabinet in our machine shop, they mounted a windshield wiper on the inside of the cabinet to clear the blast window of dust, seems to work well. I'm thinking rear wiper from a mini-van or something similar

9. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kellym
    Wouldn't you be better off with a small air nozzle to blow clean air across the glass rather than use a wiper blade which would scratch the glass as it moved the media dust from the glass?
    Michael

10. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

I have a file on "tools to build" and I have hade this photo on file for a while now. I would realy like to see the build prosses on this blaster. I was thinking of using an oven door with high temperd glass for the front.
    Might work better than a camper window,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:

Attached Files:

11. Greezeball

Greezeball

A friend of mine built a blasting cabinet and a friend of his has a glass shop and does alot of windsheilds for big rigs and apparently he can only get 2 1/2 windsheilds per sheet but there ends up being a piece left thats just right for the cabinet. He gets all the glass he needs for free.:cool:

12. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Here are some tools I made to do Chevy ring and pinion changes.
    [​IMG]

13. bct

bct

i used a back window from 70s-80s pick up (i used the door seals too)...its tempered and i've been useing it for years without changing it...i bought a spare just in case for $20....if they get expensive i'll switch it to S10

you can just see it in the background

[​IMG]

if i was ona budget i'd use the whole cab of a pick up....

14. AntiBling

AntiBling

You know I read this on my phone last night and got me thinking, that would not be a bad idea even if you weren't on a budget.

1. It's big, you could do a motorcycle frame in it, most body panels would fit in there.

2. You could put it on wheels and stick it outside the shop when not in use, it becomes yard art and doesn't eat up valuable shop space.

15. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I have used side panels from washers, dryers and stoves also.

Ron

16. Greezeball

Greezeball

Oh man you could make a small blaster from an old stove!

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

if i was on a budget i'd use the whole cab of a pick up....

Utter genius ! You should not put ideas like this into my head !

18. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Now were getting some where,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

19. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I have seen a blaster built out of a 55 gal. barrel laid on it's side. Pretty cool!!

Ron

20. bct

bct

i've spouted the pick up cab idea over 10 times on here and have yet to see anyone do it....whats not to like ...two doors (sealed), glass all around,....the back panel is flat for glove holes. firewall could face wall , holes covered with sheet or ply. you don't need the tapered bottom for sand recirculation/siphon because you are better off with a pressure pot off to the side anyhow....blasting with anything siphon is shit.

21. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Replaceing the glass in a pickup cab would become expensive.
    And yes it DOES need replacing...often.

22. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

It would be nice to find the guy that built these. I have all the parts now that I have the high temp glass.
    Any one know?:confused:

Attached Files:

23. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I wonder if they are inter-connected? Ya could blast long pieces that way.

Ron

24. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Ron, I built that type from the tech post here on the Hamb, pretty straight forward and cheap!:D

25. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

sweet!

26. carbuilder

carbuilder

A new 30 inch throat English wheel for a customer.
    DSCN6917.JPG

DSCN6918.JPG

DSCN6920.JPG

27. Joarek

Joarek

Made a toolholder for pliers i quite like.

First the wooden prototype:
    [​IMG]
    Then i made one of aluminium where i handdrilled the holes (version two..)
    [​IMG]
    Then the final one i used a hole punch at my work and later polished it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now recently i made myself a Rotisserie. Just a simple straight forward design. Works well and is movable around the garage if need be.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. duke182

duke182

this is in response to a much earlier post but i hope it might be a helpful idea for someone.if you want to make your bead roller variable speed, consider wiring in a reostat. or a speed control unit off a forklift. toyota uses one on the foot feed pedal that would probably do the trick.

29. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I'm not sure my motor could be wired that way. I couldn't figure it out at any rate. It was a lift chair motor. Variable speed would be nice, but it works great the way it is.

30. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Any ideas what kind of motor I can use to power a HF bead roller, cheaply ?