Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Balcones1

Balcones1
    from AUSTIN

Cool AD! I'm trying to get mine driveable for the Roundup. I'll see ya there.

2. AD

AD

maaann its a good lookin 66 , its all about cruisin congress anyway'

hell yea buddy, see yall there'

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

1961-67 Econolines are identical except for a few minor ways, and you have to really, really know Econolines to spot them on unmodified trucks, and be willing to get dirty.

The Pileup has a strict 1964 year cut off, but we'd let in a '67 Econoline because the body didn't change from '61. LSRU is probably the same... or just tell them it's a '61. :D

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

Sorry, man, but a '64 will not have a 240. They didn't come out until '65, so either the parts van is a '65-67 or someone already swapped engines... or my facts are wrong. :)

I think the quick way to tell if it's a 240 or a 170/144 (and maybe 200) is the 240 will have a bolt on intake and it will be on the opposite side of the block as the 170/144 (I think). The small 6 has an intake that is integral to the head/cast in.

If it is a '65-67, or has a 240, grab EVERYTHING you can... crossmember, trans, driveshaft, rear, all the throttle cable linkages (mousetrap), and radiator. Even if you don't need all of it for yourself, you can sell them. Those parts are valuable to Econo nuts... but they're also cheap nuts, so you won't make a killing.

5. crowen57

crowen57

Problem is, I've got year-of-manufacture plates on it (1966)! :eek:
    I wouldn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers!

6. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Is this near you? If so can you snap some pictures of the front steering and suspension?

7. These early's and several mid Ford and Dodges are at a Vintage Auto Parts yard a couple hours from my home.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  8. RodStRace

RodStRace

If you could find some Fargo emblems, I'd pay you for your time and effort.

9. AD

AD

Yea Hellfish, The More I read The less I think its a 240, Hopefully its a 200 so i can just swap motors, would you know what numbers or markings would help me ID a 200 block?

I read on wikipedia that the second gen of 200's (65-80) had a better bearing system , 7 bearings for better harmonic balance, does anyone here concur?

I found a 200 in ft.worth out of a 73 maverick, and I wanna get the best motor i can,,

I Also read that the second gen has different bell housing, would this mean I couldnt use my 61 3 speed at all? would using my 61 three speed be a dumb idea?

Has anyone ever mated a 4 or 5 speed to one of these and used it as a column shift?

Has anybody got any leads on a Dengham 4 speed column shift, I have read about them but havent ever seen a swap or one for sale for that matter. From what I know They were produced for ford in germany for their cars over there. (might be wrong, don't quote me on that)

I read on an econoline forum that some guy had done a T-5 w/ column shift, is that real? (the info wasn't thorough and it was from 2008) ,

To try an execute a T-5 or a 4 speed w/ column shift (custom work of course) would I need the second gen 200 with the different bell housing?

I'm probably being a pain in the butt, but I really want to learn this stuff and if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it, THANKS'

10. strodr

strodr
    from Wisconsin

AD

That '64 parts van probably won't have a 200 in it unless someone swapped it in. Ford never produced a 200 in a 1st Gen Econo

Your bell housing will bolt up to the 200 and you can use your 3 speed trans

Viewing the engine from the pass side MOST 200 engines have 5 freeze plugs where as the 144/170 have only 3

Some '64 (only year) Econo's had the rare Degenham 4 speed column shifter/trans as an option. The trans is considered weak and when they blew up most swapped them for a 3 speed as they were stronger and parts were more accessible. A Dag trans will bolt up to a 200 but you will need the 4 speed column shifter and shifter rods

11. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

got pics of it , as is??

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Strodr is right, there was a 4 speed column shift, but they're rare. You could ask around on the Econo forums and someone may have one though.

I think I remember reading that you can swap in a 4 speed column shift from a 2nd Gen Econo or Chevy though. Those may be more common.

There was a guy at the Symco Shakedown a couple of years ago with a T5 in a Econo PU. I think he was a Vagabond. Anyway, he had a series of u-joints to make it work. Pretty cool, but complicated.

I'd stick with the 3speed if I were you. They work fine... and I regularly drove my 170/3speed on Chicago's freeways at 70-80mph with no problems.

13. Blam

Blam

What gear ratio were you running?!

14. AD

AD

Ay thanks fellas, I'mma go check out that motor right now, we'll see..

Yea, what Gear Ratio Were you running back there?

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Whatever the stock gear ratio was for a '65 panel with a 170 and 3 speed and 7" axle. I'm not saying it wasn't revving high, but I never felt like I was pushing it, and it kept up with traffic nicely... until crosswinds would try to push me into another lane. :D I would drive it about 40 miles to band practice like that. Now I have 3.50 posi gears.

16. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

I have some parts I'm trying to sell. My buddy wrecked his van, I bought it and parting it out. Really dont wanna ship any of it, but I travel all over Florida and I'm taking a road trip into the Carolinas at the end of May. I'm willing to make some really good deals! Thanks.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565385

17. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

[​IMG]

This was my mates Econoline over here in the UK in the early 1980's :) .

18. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

Then it went to this colour........
    [​IMG]

19. strodr

strodr
    from Wisconsin

Nice looking 8 Door!!!!!

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

I think that's a 7 door. :D

21. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

I'm sorry to say it was an eight door and now it's a no more door cuz it's gone to the great scrapyard in the sky !
    That photo is thirty year's old but my mate who owned it still has the 351 windsor that was in it and I keep telling him he need's another early Econoline ! Lol.

22. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

23. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Dave, It looks awesome. Mine had the same stance and wheels.

Later, Bill

24. I've got a pick up. A little hard to tell, but it's a '63!
    [​IMG]

25. You can see a little more of it from this view.
    [​IMG]

26. This is the nicest Econoline I've ever seen! It's from Canada, but I shot this pic at Columbus Goodguys show.
    [​IMG]

27. Another view showing the rear engine set up. This Ford Diesel has since been switched to a 460 BB.
    [​IMG]

28. Radical Dave

Radical Dave

Thank's Bill look's like we have the same taste :) why did you get rid ?

Dave.

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

Any more pics from the rear? I'd like to get a better look at those taillights. What are they?

30. fca2572

fca2572
    from Texas

Those tailights look to be 65 Falcon with the back-up light in the center, form the picture I can't tell if they are from the sednas,convertibles, hardtops or from a Ranchero, Station Wagon