Register now to get rid of these ads!

54' chevy hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Mar 17, 2011.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HELLO , DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND WELDING THE 54' HOOD TOGETHER INSTEAD OF JUST PUTTING THE BULLNOSE STRIP FROM NATIONAL CHEVY ASSOC. ?? I'M GUESSING JUST WELD EMBLEM HOLES SHUT ALSO? MAYBE I'LL GET A PRACTICE HOOD & KEEP MY ORIGINAL WITH THE BIRD . ANY SUGGESTIONS or BULL NOSE HOODS OUT THERE? THANKS

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

if you do it, go slow. real slow. like takes 5 hours to complete slow.

3. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

Exactly...I warped the crap out of mine because I was impatient.

4. cretin

cretin

Yea you can do it. Like has been said already, go slow. Support the center of the hood while you do it. Took me about 8 hours to weld it and grind it. How good of a welder are you?

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

i skipped around welding a rod into mine. about finished, i decided to go ahead and hit the gaps i'd left between stitches. suddenly, POP!

6. okay ive never done it but i was lookin at mine and thought, why not cut the flanges out and replace the center of the hood with a shaped strip of metal? its twice the welding, but you can control both sides of the metal and hammer or shrink where and when nessesary

7. cretin

cretin

Yea, you can do that too.

Top of the page
    http://www.hollywoodhotrods.com/MetalWorks.htm

The one I did before was a customer car, when I do mine I don't want a peak in the top, so I'm going to weld it up but still cut off the flange so I can hammer the seam.

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I welded - very slowly - 1/4" rod down the centre of mine. Go slow.

9. good heavens old chap! that is bloody marvelous!

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You've got to be a good welder, and a damn good hammer and dolly guy to do it right!

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you go this route, don't cut the hood in half first, but add your filler strip at 6''12'' at a time whyle you cut, align, tack & semi weld it in place. With this method you arn't trying to wrestle two hood halves, and most all of the hood panel is always in alignment at all times.
    Clean metal + small tacks with .023 wire @12'' apart @ first+ a sharp grinding disc, don't use cutoff wheels to gring off sheetmetal= a clean, non warped hood splice.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

12. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow , thanks for all the replies & help , i'm not a great welder , but thats why i thought i'd get a spare hood & keep my original , also have a buddy who is a hell of a welder ,but really want to try it myself . THANKS AGAIN

13. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

I wonder if tacking the hood to the fenders would help keep its shape while welding???

14. deto

deto