Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Y block to toploader 4 speed adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bakchoy, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

Maybe I am missing something but I have looked everywhere and I can not find any adapter to mate a toploader 4 speed to a Ford Y block standard shift bellhousing. Can anyone help. Thanks

2. flatout51

flatout51

A standard yblock passenger bell will bolt a toploader right up. Truck bells are a half inch too long.

3. Heo

Heo

I can understand that beacuse it will bolt right on
    exept you have to shorten the axle on the trans
    about a 1/4 inch the part thats go in the suport bearing in
    the crank on all toploaders i have mounted some say
    you dont need to on some of them so try before you shorten

4. parklane

parklane

Ya, what they said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Small-block toploaders have the long input shaft, and the same problem occurs when you try to run one on an FE. The FE trannies have a shorter input, the 390 trans have the short, small input, and the 427/428 uints have the large, short input. You can also use a small-block trans behind an FE by using a pickup bell which is longer. Not sure, but I believe the 390 unit should bolt right up- the toploaders have both early and late bolt patterns at the bell. I just happen to have a couple of those 390 trannies..

6. yblock292

yblock292

on mine, 292 to top loader, bolted right up but the input shaft was 5/8 of an inch to short, had a local shop lenghten it, works great.Not sure what bell housing i have , it has the mounts on it also, i think is a truck bell housing.used the mustang clutch disk, yblock pressure plate and mustang throw out bearing.

7. If your bellhousing has the ears on the side its from a truck.

8. Heo

Heo

last one i did i know the trans is from a 68 cougar
    with 302. Bell from a 56 292 crownvictoria 11 inch
    long preasure plate and flywheel from a truck 292
    and have to short the trans shaft

9. superbell

superbell

10. BigChief

BigChief

Wrong Y-block.......

11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Nope, go back and read it again- "and the same problem occurs when you try to run one on an FE"- same problem, both engine families- or should I say 3 families :eek:

12. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

Thanks to everyone for the info. I'm not sure what car the trans came from so i will bring the trans home and try it before I buy it. Thanks again to everyone for taking time to respond.

13. k-member

k-member

Got to love the Ford interchange game. I have been having my own fun with the T-10.

14. Paul2748

Paul2748

Toploader cases came three ways. The early ones (64) have the same bolt pattern as the YBlock. The next cases has four top holes and two bottom holes. One of the top holes set is the same as the YBlock. The third case had one set of top holes, but were the wide pattern. However, there should be enough meat to drill the YBlock spacing (so I am told). In all cases, the bottom holes are the same as a YBlock.

Two things usually need to be done to a top loader to make them fit if the top loader is the small block type.

The bearing retainer at the front is a bit too large to fit in the Y bellhousing hole. Have it turned down by a machine shop. The length of the input shaft is too long. It must be cut down about 5/16 to 3/8 og an inch. Measure this to be sure on how much to shorten. Usually the only thing that has to be shortened is the tip.

How do I know this - I put an early top loader in back of the 312 in my 54 Ford.

15. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

Thanks again. Really appreciate the info.