Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Some funny stuff when I think about Combs in general and his driving that car............as many of you know Rodney was a pavement driver from Michigan who moved to Lost Creek, West Virginia and started racing dirt to help Ed Howe market more of his dirt chassis race cars under the name WRC winning race cars............Rodney was a mainstay on the NDRA shows for late models on dirt and at Pennsboro Speedway.....when he got a break in this ride to run in Cup, I like many short track fans; tuned into the TV to watch him race at Talledega that year........The race was on CBS and Ken Squire was the play by play man on TV..............Now if any of you remember a big hevy set guy by the name of Dave Ashley, he was the jovial and loud announcer for West Virginia Motor Speedway..........and riot to listen to annouce at a dirt track and a friend of Rodney's..............Well for some reason he got a pass into the press box for that race within an ear shot of Squire's call of the race...............

So during the race Rodney ended up in a pack battling for the lead after some pit stop shuffling of cars and Squires starting to talk about him and all you can hear over the TV in the background is this loud bousterous voice yelling "Go Roddddddney!!!.....GO!!!!......Rodddddddddney!!!" He kept it up the whole time they had the camera on that car.......

It was hilarious and my dad, brother and I watching the race couldn't stop laughing cuz we knew in a moment who that character was yelling..........finally they went to an ad break and Rodney dropped out of the top 10 and it stopped......

Later in the year when we saw Dave at the races I asked him if that was ...........(and before I could even get it out he said, "Well who do you think they asked to leave the press box that day??")

Back in those days dirt late model driver Dennis Chamberlain was customer of Comb's WRC business, and like Rodney is also from Lost Creek, West Va. and Dave Ashley once said over the PA, "Well Rodney Combs and Dennis Chamberlain are both from Lost Creek, WVa........that's my kind of town.....it has 6 people in the whole place and two of them race!"

Tom Peck the dirt, BGNN driver once had a WRC dirt car and had it lettered "Wrecked Racing Car" instead of "Winning"..........hehe..........guess he had some problems once with the car...........

My dad picked Rodney Combs up at the airport from a commercial flight in Pgh once to run an early season dirt show at Penn. Motor Speedway. Rodney had his ride sent up to the track and he flew in from racing in Nascar land to help a customer of his on dirt, TJ Paushard from Arkansas I believe who was in the area to pick up and try out his WRC car at Penn Motor, Well my dad at the time didn't know to see Rodney in person so he wore his Hoosier racing hat to the airport and Rodney did the same so they would know each other when Rodney got off the plane.

Well they never found each other as they each met someone else with a hoosier hat at the airport with the same/similar names but a different person!.........who would have thunk that??...........so we had another person go out to get him and when both my dad and Rodney got back to the track we had them meet each other and they both said they passed by each other numerous times at the airport in their search of each other...........hehe......

..those were the days.......

2. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

I know there aren't many, but please keep the MoPar pictures coming!!
    Thanks for sharing all the great shots!

Marty

3. jmh

jmh

Hberg Lives.. That is a cool story!! John

4. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

I was there too...........it took forever for them to fix those remaining sections of boiler plate guard rails that Dave hammered.

BTW........I was told that after Dewaine got out of the car he said, "that's it!!! I quit!!!! I'm never racing this place again!""...........

I wonder if that happened?

Seems to me I don't remember him racing there or even ASA after that?

Wasn't he the "racing junior high school principal" from Indiana?

hehe.......if I was a kid at that school and was sent to the prinicpal's office???...........Well, I'd have taken my scrapebook for an autograph and expect to hear a story or two about the track..........

5. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

AWESOME shots everyone!.....I love that 80s era Nascar!

6. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Some random shots of late models .............

Jody Ridley..........at nashville in 82

Also Ray Young there from the same year.......

also Jody in one of Trickles team cars at Milwaukee..

......and a start of a qualifying race at Nashville for the 400 back in 82...

7. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Line up for the a 1981 ASA race at Queen City..........

79 through 81 are my favorite cars of all time with ASA....

.those offset......curvy wild flaring fender cameros.....sleek snow shovel fronts, bubble top fastbacks with rear deck spoilers.....

.......a combination of muscle, fat tires, humping engines and CamAm type body styling for aero........

I regret so much I never saw any asphalt racing during this era............grrr!!!

8. skot71

skot71

I don't know anything about what he said or if he was a principal. I do know he raced the Magnum Oil Late Models at Winchester, but not sure if that was after this crash. I used to see him race weekly at Anderson. One thing I remember when fixing that wall, was a great big guy helping. Real nice guy. I had no idea who he was. I was told later it was Scott Stovall. Not sure if that's true.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

skot71, it WAS Scott Stovall. Like I said, I was there. Started over to help and Rex told me on the radio they needed me in the tower. Turned out I would have been more help on the wall.

10. narley Ned

narley Ned

Does any body know the whereabouts of Moose Meyers,and what he is doing these days? Does any one remember a driver from the Goshen,Ind. area who raced at New Paris Speedway and some ASA races by the name of Willie Stuzman.He was qiute a character.

11. skot71

skot71

Willie Stutzman! Number 88, usually a yellow car with black accents. My buddy has one of his Du-Mor Water Softener shirts with the slogan "Goes in hard, comes out soft." Saw him race stock cars and Supermods at Winchester quite a few times.

12. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

13. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

14. Hberg Lives

Hberg Lives

Wild willy raced supers with Isma until he was sixty something.......many times ran at Jtown when I worked there.............wild Willy was a crowd pleaser for sure.........

Lots of those 80's asphalt cars coming up here when I get around to it.......

15. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

16. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

17. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

18. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

19. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

20. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

21. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

22. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

23. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

joe shear......john anderson...new smryna..1974

24. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

if you can stop at malcuit,s tavern next to shop......mouthwatering steaks!!!
    I live about 10 miles north of there

25. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

John Anderson 29

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  26. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

John Anderson 30

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  27. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

John Anderson 33

28. bushy

bushy
    from ohio

post an anderson pic and that norton guy shows up....lol....how ya doin brian?
    jerry from massillon

29. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan

30. bnorton734

bnorton734
    from Michigan