Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I hope to get it painted next winter. Planning on a color similar to the Lime Gold Metallic on the newer Mustangs. VW also has a similar color.

I originally had the bones mounted right at the bottom of the frame, but they angled upward towards the front WAY too much -- didn't look right.

We moved them up into the frame and I think they look just fine right where they're at. They are '32 bones, so I didn't want to mess with the length too much. If the mounting point had ended up right on the reveal line, we would have probably lengthened them some. I'm pretty sure the Rolling Bones' frames also mount them in a similar location.

To answer your question, I'm really not sure how much the length of them affects the function, ride, and driving characteristics.

Haha... thanks, man. I really don't think it's moving along that fast -- maybe it seems that way because I've been posting frequent updates.
    I've been planning and collecting parts for this for 2-1/2 years, so I more than ready for it to come together!

2. sololobo

sololobo

Nick, that baby is lookin real nice. You are makin excellent progress and hope it continues. I know I am just an old geezer standin back watchin all you cats build these fine cars, but please "no lime green" street rod color spectacles. A nice cream or tan solid color would be so hip, in my no-nutthin opinion. The car is so outstand ing, "don't need no stinkin metallic glittery paint", sorry bro just my 2 cents. You are makin us homies proud!! ~sololobo~

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, Dave... Yep, planning on cutting out the tank and putting one in the trunk, right behind the seat. If I were using the '35 gauges, they would actually fit between the dash and stock tank!

I'm not 100% set on that color, and certainly understand what you are saying....
    But the color I'm talking about isn't flashy and 'in-your-face'.

Here's an example:
    [​IMG]

4. That color will look good on there Nick,nice soft colors not to loud keeps the car clean.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Well, after being nudged by a few people, I've decided to display this project at the Omaha World of Wheels this weekend. It's getting hauled down there tomorrow night.

Hope to see some of you at the show this weekend!

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Worked late tonight to get it ready for the Omaha World of Wheels....

[​IMG]

7. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

X2 on color choice

8. kisam

kisam

Looking good Nick! Hope you have a good weekend! X3 on the color!

9. Great Build here. Subscribed..

J168

10. Dads-53

Dads-53

Nick, I hated that color back in the 60's when Ford came out with it because they never made 2 the same color and I had to try to match them, but I'm sure paint has changed some in 45 years, I know I sure have. The car is looking good. Will we see it in Des Moines?
    Don

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Don -- Des Moines Goodguys for sure! That's my goal for the first roadtrip. Hope to have it running/driving one month before that so I have time to work out any bugs.

12. Lookin good, Nick. I'll be looking for it at the car show this weekend. Gonna take it in Thursday nite? Let me know [PM me] if you need any help.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Moving in tonight, Rocky. Hope to see ya down there this weekend!

14. I'm hungup on Wed nights [after the cruise, of course] so I'll be watching for you downtown this weekend.

15. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Great color choice Nick. Cant wait to see it in Des Moines!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

a few more from this morning....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok Jeffy Cakes $.02 time!!! Love the roadster and how it's shaping up....for sure. The color choice that you provided is a little "new" for me. Sure I could see it on a number of cars but I am not sure about this one. Reminds of a color for this type of car....which is really rad and very close to your build besides being a bit more showy.
    [​IMG]

If you're going for a lakes vibe I think darker colors are going to be your best bet. Dark Maroon? Dark Green? Dark Blue? What about black or Dark Brown? Plenty of options but sure as shit if you choose a modern color it'll look a little out of place (IMO).

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

But just to reiterate, I'm only saying that about the color to give food for thought. If you love that color then go for it since it's your hard work that's building it and not my $.02. I'm at the point on my '35 where all the stuff that goes into the "look" is finished so I just love dreaming up visions of other peoples cars since I am past that now. You're doing great man!!!

19. You can work your magic on my car JJ :rolleyes:

DON"T FORGET THE TUNNEL RAM!!!!!!!!!

20. Brewton

Brewton

Looks cool! Keep it up!

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's a couple quickies of dark colors...
    [​IMG]

Who doesn't like black?
    [​IMG]

I was going for a washington blue but I stopped on this one because I thought it was cool. Kind of like that NAVY blue on the Old Crow tank...
    [​IMG]

And finally this maroon which is a throwback to Navarro's roadster which was '48 Ford Typhoon Maroon. This one also got glass, seat and steering wheel. :D
    [​IMG]

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh are you building something Hitchhiker? I have a R@T Rod filter app that I applied to the HAMB which filters out crap which is why I can see Malcolm's stuff and not yours. :D:D:D Just kidding. I know one thing, I already know what intake you should run....hint hint, nudge nudge, wiggle wiggle.;)

23. We both know I'm building a street rod Jeffy....You must have that filter on too....which is weird because you won't be able to see your own stuff. :rolleyes: Does that intake fit a chevy? :D

BTW one of those same color mustangs is across the street from my house right now. The color looks much cooler in person.

24. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

I have liked that color ever since the new Mustangs came out with it. Stick with it, it will be a perfect color.

25. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

Subscribed Nick... this thread is mo betta than the Facebook stuff. :) I really dig the soft lime green color, but am wondering if a darker color isn't more fitting for a traditional lakes roadster. Are the wheels gonna stay black/ What about engine parts and interior? The soft lime could really pop with just the right accents. Having seen what you did with the old Galaxie, I have no fears about how the Malcolm Roadster will turn out. Can't wait to do a photoshoot of it at Bonneville and hopefully get a little cruise around the pits riding shotgun? :) I'll be watching intently!

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This thing has a long ways to go before paint! Hopefully that will happen next winter. This summer it'll either be in a quick coat of primer or bare metal with Gibbs protectant on it.

Jeffrey, thanks a ton for doing the Photoshop work! How about trying that Lime Gold Metallic color? :) Each photo I find on a Google image search shows it a little differently.. and I REALLY like it. All of the suspension parts, axles, etc. will be black. The sides of the frame rails will be body color.

I know it can sometimes be hard to get past the whole "Era" that a car is supposed to be built to. I've battled that, myself. What I'm really trying to do with this car is successfully mix eras. on the outside it does look like a late '40s build, with the windshield, wheels/tires, etc. Then there's the SBF and newer components in the chassis. That kind of throws it off a little.... BUT like I said, I'm trying to mix eras and hopefully it works.

Moved it into the Omaha World of Wheels last night...

A couple of crappy cell phone photos. Lights were dim.

[​IMG]

Yabba Dabba Dooo!

[​IMG]

27. WM3

WM3

Looks great Nick! I like the color selection. I never thought I would until I saw this at the 2009 NHRA in Louisville. Not the exact color, but close.

(subscribed)

Attached Files:

28. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

That side profile shot at Omaha World of Wheels looks incredible!

29. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

Car looks great in person, paint it the color you want.

30. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

I love the dash too Nick. Very cool and looks great! Keep the pics and updates a comin'!