Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. The Columbus Old Timers show at the Bartholomew County Fairgrounds was a good start on the vintage racing season. The Doc Bowles car was a knockout.....Even got to see Bob Seeger there..... Thanks Jerry Castor and Butch Wilkerson for your efforts. Next weekend is Bench Racers Weekend at the Indy Airport. Hope to see some of you there.... vvrroooooommm
    HG :cool:

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Some people have all the fun.:(

3. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

From Ron Hutchinson (HUTCHO) in Austrailia

How to explain handling

Understeer / Push: .. You hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer / Loose: .. You hit the wall with the back of the car.
    Horsepower: .. How fast you hit the wall.
    Torque: .. How far you take the wall with you.

4. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

I think those are updraft carbs, not exhaust stacks. Josh should be able to confirm that.
    If they are intakes instead of exhausts, imagine what the rings & cylinder walls must've looked like after a hundred-miler on a horse track!

5. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yes, intakes. The exhaust pipe is on the right side of the engine/car.

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Why on earth would anyone ever think putting the intakes near the ground like that be a good thing? Road draft tubes terminate there to put negative pressure on the outlet of the tube. What gives / gave?

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bill Cheesebourg, Indy 64. Blew up on lap 131.... imagine that. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Spoke to WRA Race Director Bob Mastroleo this AM.
    "Kenny is still in LV Hosp Critical Care but alert and improving and working towards discharge to a lower level of care near his home in Paso Robles.
    Donations for help with medical bills would be greatly appreciated."

Make checks to: FBO Kenny Van Blargan

Send to: Santa Lucia Bank - PO Box 1947 - Paso Robles, CA 93447

Say a prayer for Kenny Van Blargen, 80y/o vintage sprinter who went over Sat night at the WCVR/WRA Event at Havasu City Speedway. Last heard he was in serious condition.
    http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2011/03/14/news/doc4d7da34919f40918919515.txt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  9. baldtireman

baldtireman

Ex Salih/Bryan car? Is that a dent in the nose?:confused:

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks like the ex-BSF/Epperly.

Attached Files:

• bsf.jpg
      bsf.jpg
      File size:
      212 KB
      Views:
  11. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Big John,
    The only other car I remember him driving was for Bruce Mannwarren after Don Gillette was killed.

12. csiki22

csiki22

the 1923 indy racer is awesome!!

13. Offy 220

Offy 220

Reminds me of the Cummins Diesel entry in '52. One source says the the turbo-charger failed - possibly caused by the air inlet too close to the ground and sucked up debris from the track - either way it went out early.

14. Offy 220

Offy 220

Carl,

Thanks for posting. This reminds me back in the 80's at a WRA event we were involved with at Willow Springs [later known as Walt James Stadium - RIP]. We lost one of fellow members - Paul "Punky" Grosso in a similar accident. Unable to get Paul to the hospital in time - he suffered different injuries and loss of blood.

We will keep Kenny and his family in our thoughts and prayers and hope for a speedy recovery.

Offy 220

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm amazed that the Cheesebourg car lasted 131 laps, considering it was 1964. That front straight must have been a dirty mess for many laps before it got blown off. Those old Offys were a tough mill for sure.

16. Offy 220

Offy 220

Rootie,

I work with Quinn's son John. We were talking just recently about the success of George Salih / Quinn Epperly entry with Sam Hanks and Jimmy Bryan. He said George was known for using "used but good" parts in the Offy's. He worked for Meyer and Drake at the time. Yes, it does make you wonder how those "laydowns" held up for 500 miles - especially with all of the debris on the track. :)

Offy 220

17. Ebert

Ebert

Congrats, Josh!!! Hope to see you in Indy this year! You need to come by our team party on Friday night! Eric

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

EBERT- Sounds like I'll be there.. I'll look ya up for sure! Thanks!!

Carl S- My thoughts go out to Kenny.

As for the Intakes of the Udraft Miller Carbs picking up dirt.. It only had to last 500 miles. ;)

Thanks for the support guys. I can't wait till Wend. That's when I start.

Oh.. and GENE: HA HA HA!!! I could have gotten Bob Seeger's autograph for ya, I know him pretty well! :D:D:D

19. The driver who died at Willow was Cal Niday. I helped Dean Thompson load the car on the trailer following the accident. Punky sustained his fatal injuries at Saugus (Bonelli Stadium).

20. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Thoughts and prayers go out to Kenny,

21. Doing some clean up this afternoon, I ran across this old picture given to me 30 years ago by Joe Gemsa. It was taken in 1946 at Corona. Joe is warming up his DO Cragar. It is so Joe. If you look close, you can see a ciggarette hanging from his mouth. Just a casual Sunday drive!

[​IMG]

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

23. Offy 220

Offy 220

Dean,

Thanks for the correction. I had forgotten about Punky passing away at Saugus - I had confused Cal's passing at Willow Springs.

I enjoyed going to the "Bunker" at the airport - visiting with various drivers and checking out the sprints and midgets stored in the hanger. Do you know what happened to one of Punky's cars - I remember "Flossi's Offy" - I believe it was a Kurtis midget. There was also a yellow "Gilmore" sprint car - I remember the driver or owner was Lou?

Thanks,
    Offy 220

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  24. oldies fan

oldies fan
    from pa

Is there a site that has pics and talks about newer racing like in the 70's and early 80's on HAMB like this for older cars
    Thanks

25. It took me a while to find this one. My Dad chasing Punky in his "Flossy's Offy", Ascot Old Timer's Night, 1987. Flossy's Offy was an Edmunds. Punky's big car was created at the bunker by Punky and his friends. It was powered by a 270 Offy. Punky always wanted a Miller style big car, so he built his own. It was an exquisite piece of work. I have no idea what happened to either one of Punky's cars after his death.

[​IMG]

26. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Punky was a great guy, and the Bunker at Burbank Airport that all the guys hung out at was his, He talked me into buying my Kurtis midget, Saturdays was hanging out working on the cars then down to Don's place in Burbank at Olive and Griffith Park Drive (I grew up on Griffith Park Drive) For Don's famous burgers and a few pitchers of brew then back to the bunker. Most of the originals that started the WRA were there. Punky Grosso, Paul Larson, Walt James, Ray Swan, Roy Prosser, Tom Welch. Was there the night we lost Punky at Sagus, We talked before the main, Was a bad deal, midget spun on the front straight and 3 of 4 cars missed it and Punky had no were to go and hit head on. He passed on fathers day, and Flossy passed on mothers day. Think the bunker has since been sold. Jay Leno would come on one of his fire spitting steam cars some Saturdays, Punkys up there backin in a old Miller on a mile track flat out! no doubt

27. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks Dean for the great photo and information regarding Punky. :)

28. Offy 220

Offy 220

Thanks Paddy for the memories and information about Punky. I remember going to WRA meetings at the Bunker - I believe it was once a month on Thursday night - Dan or Walt was the president at the time. I always enjoyed listening to Roy Prosser and Joe Gemsa talk - great stories and history.

Not sure but I think Ray Swan is currently running midgets - he had or still has a beautiful red Kurtis. The bunker was a great place to hang out. :)

29. Last I heard, Ray was running a 360 sprint car.

30. outbackracing

outbackracing
    from Pa.

Ernie Mccoy's ride.

Attached Files: