Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Here is one Ive been working on. Its meant to be a B/FX tribute car. It will be running a built 302 and super T10, Ginormous traction bars 30x10 Pie crust slicks etc....

Attached Files:

2. gands

gands
    from arkansas

Okay, WOW!! Russco, I've been doing body work for close to thirty years and never thought of that. How simple and totally cool. So do tell, what did you do with the inner wheel house to mate up to the now extended wheel opening?

3. mayerst

mayerst

Can anybody tell me what they used for 62-63 subframe connectors?

4. Question- What options are there for making the steering column safer? The potential problem being it's one piece and can get pushed back into the driver in a crash. I saw a Mustank in the junkyard one time that had this happen, and the front end wasn't as smashed as you might think.

5. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

How did that Ozzie OHC FOULCAN six get over there?

7. gands

gands
    from arkansas

Before my 65 I had a 62 ranchero, the guy I got it from had split the steering shaft and installed a rag joint at the steering box. It still needed a crush sleeve to be totaly effective but even the rag joint alone is much safer than a one piece spear aiming at your chest.

8. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

They did a Comet on Powerblock last year where they cut the whole trunk floor out and moved it ahead to match the rear qtr opening. You need to make room for the rearend being farther ahead as well.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/index.php/musclecar-episodes?ep_num=MC2009-12&ep_sea=0901

9. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

A friend is an importer/exporter and brought 2 of these badboys over for me:D.

10. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

11. Deadneck13

Deadneck13

my comet.jpg

comet paint2.jpg

comet paint3.jpg

The first picture was the last thing I did before going on deployment, i put on headlight covers. it was the only thing left out of the parts I had stacked up that I had time to do.
    The second is after my accident, after getting my frame pulled and replacing my quarter panel, bumper, and decklid. I called on inspiration from my first comet in high school.(extremely similar, just done in less becoming spray paint)
    The third picture is after getting her stripe, courtesy of Kobbie's Kustoms, this picture only shows the outline and hood.
    I apologize for lack of pictures of her I am currently on deployment and my wife is finishing her up with a drivetrain swap, I'm going from a 144 w/2spd auto, to a 300 w/c-4. This is my first endeavor going with the 300, my first i swapped in a 250, but kept the 2spd, so any knowledge or tips from others would be extremely appreciated. let me know what y'all think!

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I didn't think a 300 would fit without some serious cutting. Which is too bad, as they're considerably more plentiful than 200s and 250s.

-Dave

13. Deadneck13

Deadneck13

the 250 was actually a stroke of luck literally a yard sale find/old woman late husband kind of thing. i do know what you mean by plentiful though, you can find those 300's almost a dime a dozen in the 80's ford pick ups and whatnot.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just looked at a 300 laying loose in a Ranchero that has been for sale around here for ever. Looks like it will take about three or four inches back into the firewall to get that puppie in there, but it will fit. 'Course, then you gotta make new mounts, trans mount, etc. It wouldn't hurt to raise the trans tunnel a bit too to get it all up out of the steering linkage and such too. Although, I do think you could retaper the pitman and idler arms and flip center link too. I'd stick with the 250 personally, and put a real trans behind it, you would be suprised at what you can do with that combo.

15. Deadneck13

Deadneck13

Has anybody done this swap? Is there anything I can learn from those gone before me in these steps? Im building a car from a ship on deployment literally telling my wife what to do here and there as she sends me pictures of progress so any help would be greatly appreciated.

16. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

try fordsix.com. I have seen one member's car with the swap, and there is, I believe, a whole section of the forum dedicated to it.

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Attached Files:

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Amazingly cool engineering and parts. Awfully ugly, though.

-Dave

20. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

do the 170ci and 200ci engine parts match up the same? like the starter, fuel pump, distributer, all the good stuff haha. Im replacing my 170ci with a 200ci since it just took a dump and im wondering what can be transfered and what cant

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think 200s changed in the 1980s, but prior to that interchangeability is supposed to be real good. If you are swapping out something like a '68 170 for a same-year 200, everything should transfer. Not so with 250s, though.

-Dave

22. 62rebel

62rebel

if you haven't spent much time messing with Falcons/Comets/Mustangs and Ford small sixes, you need to be warned about the multitude of slight changes that screw everyone up when they start trying to mix parts willy nilly. and that 250 is NOT as easy to fit into a Falcon (or a Mustang for that matter) as everyone keeps saying it is. a 300 is a sure recipe for yet another dead Falcon project in the classifieds IMHO. it's simply too much work for the expected return, just to have a big six where a SBF would be more at home.
    another thing: early Falcons from the factory with sixes (read: ALL of them more or less) do not have the inherent body strength and rigidity to handle masses of torque. they will need subframe connectors at the very least.
    these questions and issues are constantly being dealt with over on TFFN. there are a dozen or more very experienced Falcon experts there that literally HAVE seen or done it all.
    i think we need to split the Falcon thread once again: one thread for Gassers, totally dedicated to race cars, and one for the Falcons that can actually be practical to drive on the street everyday.

downlojoe33 likes this.
  23. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Ah i see,i see, ill have to do some looking around then and see what happens

24. 62rebel

62rebel

or you could drop it on an S10 frame. please pull off ALL the badging from the car afterwards.

i get a little "testy" about Falcons, so sue me.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Het Rocketsam,
    I'm in the midst of putting a 200 C/4 combo in the girlfriends '62 wagon as we speak. Right now my backyard looks like "the evolution of the Falcon" because I have a 144 170 200 and a 250 all in the yard. If you want to check them out where you can see them, just give me a call and come down.

26. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

Oh yeah? I have a 170, but the head has a stress crack on one of the parts that holds the rocker arms and the block has a chip on bolt hole that was repaired,but it needs a complete rebuild. i was thinking since i was taking it out, i might as well swap a 200 in it

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

rocketsam,
    Sorry to have just seen this now, I have a head here that might help your cause. I'm afraid it might be 144 though. I can check a bit closer if you think it could help.

28. GOOD THREAD!

Ive been lurking this one for a while and in the mean time completed a some work to my falcon!

I have started, (and almost completed) my 65 falcon sedan body and I thought I would share my progress. Here is a few pictures of what it started life as and how she sits today. I took the car down to bare metal and started fresh. heres a link to my project build thread (there is lots of pictures) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533427

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Paint is coming along nicely. Are you doing it at a school or shop?