Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T Speedster Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Commodoreswab, Mar 10, 2011.

1. pigpen1

pigpen1

dropped axle, 490 chevy spindles. 2 pedal car has a muncy in it with reverse.rocky mountain brakes operated by cable.ruxtel rear axle, reversed eyes on springs then heated for more drop.the pan is only 4 inches from the ground

2. pigpen1

pigpen1

more pics

Attached Files:

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting all those photos! That #11 is one nice looking Speedster!

4. wow those are cool i like the look of those tall skinny wire (racing?) wheels. BTW what were the wheels you mentioned?

5. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I notice that the numbers a lot of them have painted on them seem to be at least mostly unique. Is there some sort of coordination going on between the guys who build them to assign or select numbers for them? Is there, for example, an association or club that handles that sort of thing for guys who are into these kinds of cars, perhaps?

6. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Most of these pictures were taken at an Endurance Run that has been going on annually for over 30 years. They try to have a different number for every car and allow you to keep your number if you keep returning. Heres another batch, a few just for you Fur as well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a fabric body boat tail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a bunch more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

some hot rods have chev`s in them,but real hot rods have....................

8. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Thanks for both the speedy reply and the additional images. Based on the other responses in the thread I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is really enjoying just looking at these old-style speedsters.

Regarding the numbers, I was kind of thinking something like that was going on.

Do any of the guys who build these kinds of cars for events like that use more contemporary drive trains? I'm not thinking in terms of late model Honda Civic engines, or anything. More like, say, an engine out of a Model B or an old 4 cylinder flathead Willys Jeep engine or even one of the old 4 cylinder OHV Chevy II engines from the early 1960's.

Or would that be regarded as "uncool" within the group that is into these kinds of cars?

Also, is it just me or do the tiny, little, mechanical brakes on those old things look a bit scary? I really dig the tall, narrow wire wheels a lot of them seem to run, but those just wouldn't look right with bigger brakes, I think.

9. shmoozo,

My first plan for a speedster was to use a Quad4, and held on to that idea for a long time... but after spending time on the monthly banger forums, I've taken the plunge with a '28 Chevrolet 4 and chassis.

Most of the T guys are VERY particular about what engine/drivetrain. Some clubs won't let you on a run unless you're care is 100% period correct.

10. Here are a couple of my favorites- one by Tom Butterworth (single seater) and the other by Peter Daun. Wish I could copy this body, but from what I understand, Daun made the buck, cast the body in fiberglass, and then destroyed the buck!

Attached Files:

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that would be the case. It's part of the spirit of a car club like that for the cars to be period correct for club events.

And that's cool. I certainly can't give them a hard time about that.

:cool:

On the other hand if a guy just wanted a nifty little car that didn't cost too much to run and looked kinda like an old speedster, but wanted it to have running gear that was a little bit more modern and didn't really care so much what a purist might think I suppose he could build it with a more modern power train and then enjoy it on his own terms. I'm imagining a guy who took his wife out in it on nice summer weekends for relaxing, leisurely drives along the twisty, tree-lined two-lane roads that criss-cross the hilly, rural parts of New England. And regardless of what it had hidden under the hood it'd be sure to draw crowds anywhere you parked it.

:)

12. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I can certainly see why you'd want a copy of that body. It's gorgeous.

:cool:

13. lrapso

lrapso
    from Costa Rica

This a great post....

Thanks a lot for the pictures set

14. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

These pictures are from a number of years, this particular event has rules along these lines. No stock bodies (cowl is ok as are fenders), must be a t block, everything is suposed to be '27 or older, must have t rear end, frame, no alternators, no down draft carbs, no tube shocks, no hydraulics, the list goes on but you get the idea. If somebody shows up with a car they will let them run if its close but it must be "fixed" by the next year or they won't be allowed in. In recent years they have allowed other period cars to be intered. All cars undergo a safety inspection that is very complete. Depending on who is running it the rules are sometimes more tightly enforced than others. As for something will a bit more modern drive train now that Im on the other side of the country where everything rusts out so very fast thats what im working to do. Although I'm going for a fendered version maybe a cross between a miller, mercedes, stutz, and some mercer thrown in. As for the engine it will be a BMW 4 cyl twin cam all polished out with everything modern removed and replaced with period correct mag and carbs. But this gets off topic . . .
    So to get back on topic, heres another batch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Nice update.
    I should be going to the Speedster trials and reunion in Lincoln, Nebraska. Not taking anything but going to look, ask questions and take lots of photos!

16. Would you have any more shots of these two, especially from the side?

Attached Files:

17. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

let me see what I can come up with, I know I have some of the engine in the whiz and the front drop on the other. The engine is, well "simply beautiful"

18. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Heres all I could find in a quick search
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. A friend of mine is building a speedster with a Packard straight 8. Not period correct but should be lots of fun.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  20. 29ToyA

29ToyA

The Black/Red one and the Yellow one are cool!

I like the White #26 also. Is that one of yours?

21. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

When are we going to hear that Chevy running? Can't wait.

22. Sooner'n later, I hope!

I'd like to get the chassis together this summer- should have enough parts :)

23. Commodor,

THANK YOU!!!

There is NOTHING like a Fronty DOHC to put a great big smile on my face :D!

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bitchin sideburns.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wondered what you were up to.

I haven't spent much time on Renegades lately

Aka Sea Dragon

26. rfrontenac

rfrontenac

Pete made a mold off the buck and made the body from the mold.nice car

27. rfrontenac,

Welcome to the HAMB!!!... does anyone still have the buck?

28. rfrontenac

rfrontenac

Yes its a nice mold all boxed in to keep its shape. back in the day he was going to make some.The buck got distroyed when we pulled the mold apart.

29. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Guilty

30. doubletubtrouble

doubletubtrouble

here is one we picked up for my dad this summer

Attached Files:

• 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      319.6 KB