Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "THE ROD & CUSTOM DREAM TRUCK CRASH", PT.2: George Barris & Spence Murray

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL MY FELLOW HAMBERS...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    "THE ROD & CUSTOM DREAM TRUCK SAGA", PT.2:

IN PART 1, Spence told his story of how the crash on October 21, 1958, destroyed the Rod & Custom Dream Truck. He also told about taking it back to the Barris Shop, parting it out, and selling the body of the truck for $100.00.

NOW, as I promised you, in PART 2, SPENCE MURRAY continues his tale of having sold the body of the truck, how sometime after that the search as to where the R&C Dream Truck ended up began, who restored it, and who owns it today !

PLUS, the Legendary GEORGE BARRIS was one of the original Master Builders of the R&C Dream Truck, and in an Exclusive Interview that I did with George, he tells me what he first felt when the truck was brought back to his shop after the crash. THIS YOU GOTTA HEAR !

READY ? OKAY, this piece of true R&C History, as told by these Industry Legends, starts when you click-on right here !!

(NOTE: That's a pic of Spence above that I took as he drove the restored Dream Truck onto the Show Field at Darryl's Starbird's National Rod & Custom Hall of Fame property in Oklahoma in 2007. )

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks for the emails & kind thoughts !

This is a great story...Spence & George have almost "Total Recall" !

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

3. ratster

ratster

man, that was awesome to hear!

4. Thanks for that Johnny!

I never pass on listening/reading ANY info on Dream Truck! My love of that truck and his need of help while driving it is what began Kurt McKormick's chance meeting and longtime friendship with me. I could talk for hours about Dream Truck. I think everyone around me is tired of hearing about it!

Here is some pics we took the last time we went to Kurt's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Toner283

Toner283

Great Stuff!.

Do you have any other detail pictures of the truck? Engine, interior, underneath, etc?

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Very cool ! Kurt & Amy are just GREAT people ! (And the D.T. has some great company being parked next to the "Parisienne".)

Jonnie

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG][​IMG]

Toner283

No, sorry, I don't have any good pix of the engine or interior.

However, I think our friend the Rikster may have an interior pic on his website, as I know when the DT was restored the interior was redone. And, as I've seen it in person, I can tell you it's spot-on beautiful.

Thanks again for taking the time to check-out Part 2. Listening to BOTH Spence & George tell their stories is like taking a trip in a "Time Machine" !

IF YOU MISSED THIS OVER THE WEEKEND HERE'S THE LINK:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage60.html

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

8. madwagon56

madwagon56

what a great story thanks you so much, always loved that thing!!!!

9. Spooky

Spooky

Here is my story of this great piece. Back in '79, my Dad and I restored his '53 Ford F-250 Ford pick up. Baby blue with great details and a sweet running flathead V8. It had Lyon's hubcaps and wide white wall tires, I was 14 and in awe of this massive old truck It ran beautiful and looked amazing. Enter my new friend Ken Hargrave. His Dad had a show truck-a '72 Ford F-100. A TON of trophies and it was really amazing. So, they asked us to go to a car show with them at the Lakeside Mall in Wheatridge , Co. We followed them to the show. As we pulled up Mr. Hargrave was guided to a different area and we were asked to park in another. Imagine our surprise as we pulled up to our spot and there was the R&C Dreamtruck.
    Dad was nothing but smiles.

WE spent the better part of the day looking at the Dreamtruck and Dad telling me stories about it.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

SPOOKY...

Fantastic Story ! Seeing the Dream Truck in person gives you a whole new perspective on the rarity and historic importance of it .

And, as you can see, from the above recent photos from clean cut creations & my pic of Spence in the truck, Kurt takes really good care of it.

Glad you got to hear the story...and thanks for yours !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

PS: Any more Hambers that have a Dream Truck Story to share ? Let's hear it !

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

In Salina last weekend someone asked me if Part 2 was still available. He doesn't log-on much and said he isn't too "computer savvy", but sometimes gets to view stuff at night.

Listening to BOTH Spence & George tell their stories is like taking a trip in a "Time Machine" !
    So, in case you're out there Don here's the Link:http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage60.html

Nice meeting you, hope you had a safe trip home !

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;">
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  12. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Lookin through the April 59 issue of Hot Rod Mag, checking out the old classified ads as I like to do, and stumbled onto this. Crappy pic, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Attached Files:

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

ronzmtrwrx...

Thanks so much for the cool scan ! A GREAT piece of History !!
    Best part of the Interview (Pt.1) is Spence's telling the part about offering it for sale. And, here, in Part 2, having the memories & history of BOTH George and Spence for all to hear ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage60.html

Thanks again !

14. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I am unable to access the links you’ve provided. I’m not a member of the legends, therefore am unable to log on their site. My H.A.M.B. log in doesn’t work there

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.