Register now to get rid of these ads!

455 in Olds -56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Young Man, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

Just wanna show you my engineswap in my Olds -56. My donocar in an Olds Delta -71. 455 and th400 fits nice and without to many problems. 455-engie looks smaller and feels not so heavy than the 324. 126 more cui. feels good to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I`m gonna use the motormount from my donocar and weld a steelplate to the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No problems with the exhustpips, maby headers, anyone knows what will fit
    [​IMG]

I had to put the engine and tranny 12 mm of centerlin for exhust to clear steeringbox but there are no problems with the tall shaft

2. interstatemaster

interstatemaster

Looks good! More cubes always good.
    Don't forget to put new bushings in the upper control arm pivots.

3. robleticia

robleticia

4. WQ59B

WQ59B

Cubes=good. I am putting a 455 Buick in my '59, but I am staring at working 2" primary headers around the steering box. Keep at it!

5. davidh73750

davidh73750

6. I used Sanderson block huggers on my 55 Caddy with a 455 Olds. Starter caused the most problems with the steering box

7. flatoz

flatoz

good to see,

I have a 55 that I will be doing the exact same thing to, so want to watch what you do, so please take a heap of photos.

as for the exhausts, I have seen a few of these done and most talk about the W and Z exhaust manifolds, they were a factory item but seem to be expensive and given their weight to get them to you or me would be expensive again. So the header option is probably the best.

what trans mount did you use? as in did you modify the delta one to suit the 56 original or use the delta cross member and bolt to chassis. Have you set the motor up at 3 degrees inclination or is it just sitting there at the moment?

Have you looked into how to adapt the column to change the T400 and register which gear your in?

interested to hear all about it.

8. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

I do always take a lot of pics and I`m gonna show you later. I will fabricate a new crossmember with chevy trans mount and the column linkage from my dono fits nerly perfect. This evening I fabricat front motormount and they looks good but its a bad winter in Sweden this year so I must get my self a hot bath and a couple of beer!:) I fix fotos later this week.

9. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I've got a pair of 55 Oldsmobiles. One stock, one hot. I enjoy them both for what they are. LOVE the big blocks and have put them in other 55's I've had, but went to a 350 Olds in this one.

Things have worked out pretty well using precision guesswork. An early 70's T/A clip fit to the 55 like it belonged there from the start. Cradle allowed me to set the engine down and back a little . Short tail shaft 350 kept things forward of the X. Forward mount steering box allowed lotsa room for the headers. 77 steering column mounted in the stock dash set up. 68 Delta Swinging pedal lined up right under the column in the right position to the gas pedal. I too put the brake system up on the firewall using the parts car plate for added strength. A Gennie trans mount shifter put things right where should be.

I'm thrilled to see the BOPS being put together here on the site. Hope something in my build helps out somewhere here.

Looks like you all have the key to putting your pics up big enough to see what you are doing. Would someone clue me in how it's done?

Thanks and keep building those Oldsmobiles!

Attached Files:

10. flatoz

flatoz

Use photobucket or another photo hosting site Sir Woosh. then link them to your post, that way you can post up large photos without taking bandwidth.

Young man, keep the photos coming, I'm more than happy not to re-invent the wheel. The other thing I had planned on doing to make my 455 look more like the 324 is do a cut and shut on a pair of valve covers so cut out the top of the 55 ones and weld them onto the base of the 455, I am also using the original bat wing aircleaner with a late model airfilter and going to paint the engine up green to look closer to what was in there.

I think from memory there is about 120-150lbs difference in favour of the 455 over the 324, plus don't forget the weight savings in the auto's too, as the hydramatics are a cast iron case not alloy, so they would weigh a ton too. I consider that you will pick up HP in just the weight savings alone.

I take it your motor being a 71 is a F block, what heads do you have on it, and are there any plans for your motor? I decided to go with a pair of edelbrock heads as there were not any local engine shops that were familiar with the Olds motors, and by the time they have scratched their heads on how to rebuild the 455 heads and do the other things I wanted done - porting etc, I gathered I would probably have spent the same amount of money. I have read though , that you need to change the valve springs in the edelbrock heads as they are not strong enough.

how does your tailshaft look? is it going to need to be shortened?

11. Orn

Orn

The beer and bath thing sounds healthy to me. Nice work. :cool:

12. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

Great idea. Got an Olds 455 in the 1931 Olds 5 window. Can't wait to start her up and see her go this summer. Keep us posted.

Attached Files:

13. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

Now is Mr 455 resting in his new body and waiting to burn rubber when springtime comes around. My motormount is reddy and it looks real nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. flatoz

flatoz

15. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

Here's some pics on my new motormount and crossmember, last saturday I was fetching my 455-engine and I have to clean it up a litle befor it take place were it belongs. What color will be best on the engine, Olds 56 green or Olds 455 metallicblue, hmmm. ??? The tranny is also reddy to get in place. The olnly problems just now is the fuckin bad winter here in Sweden I hate it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

I painted it in -56 green and it looks better than any TV-show or sportevent ever. With -56 Oldsmobile Rocket letters on valvecovers it's will be nice. I can smell rubber here?

[​IMG]

17. knucklepower

knucklepower
    from .

very nice, I'm inquisitive to see your rubber-eater.

Hold the front bags the big engine?

18. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

At last the mighty power plant is in place and now I only have to conect wirings and hoses and exustpips and hundred different things. Is there anybody who knows if i'ts possible to use headders like Hedman or Hooker or simmular type on this car ?

[​IMG]

19. I think you'll enjoy the performance difference in the 455... I did!

As far as headers... you might have troubles for your application however Olds had exhaust manifolds that might work... but I can't remember if they were for Toronado's or 442's?

Made my exhaust out of Stainless Steel... "No Rust"!;)

Attached Files:

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very nice. My 455 is a tire-eater as well. I learned after a few sets how to control myself. :D

21. Control...??? Yeah right...!

I found out that the thing that controls a persons tire eating is the wallet!!!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Yl7wGsVL5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  22. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

Cu.in.-snake has bite me and I got that wenom in my weins so I can't control my self

23. Orn

Orn

Looks like we very soon can enjoy some heavy beer drinking in the backseat of your 455 powered Olds. Am I right? You know the spring is around the corner…

24. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Very nice. I am putting an Olds 455 in my '42 Chevy in the next month or so.

25. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

Yes that's will be nice. I was in Putgarden last day (Saturday) with my family and filled up my empty beerstock

26. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

heres mine.i used flowtech a body headers they fit ok but i had to move the #7 tube around the steering.

Attached Files:

27. knucklepower

knucklepower
    from .

hahaha beer tourist,great:D

28. Young Man

Young Man
    from Sweden

Have you any pics of left side modification?

29. wow what a clean job ! tryed to show horn a 350 in my 60 olds no fit, only if I had used a set of 455 heads. I took the easy way SBC 350. headers oh ya but you will
    be better off with a speed way uni kit and make your own, as you know the steering
    box is a real close fit for everything. outstanding detail !

30. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder