Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 buick special suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charliegffg, Mar 12, 2011.

1. charliegffg

charliegffg
    from CT

i have searched and searched and cant seem to find what im looking for. i was wondering if anyone knew where i can purchase a lowering kit for my 53 special i have seen 54 and up nothing for 53 any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

2. If you wanna leave it mostly stock, just get some dropped uprights from fatman fabrications for the front. I put them into my 56 buick and they we're perfect. 2.5 lowered with out messing up the geometry. Make sure you get all the new bushings from Kanter while you're at it though. As for the rear, is it coil or leaf?

3. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Coil rear end-and I agree with BTB. I went the cheapo way and heated the front coils and cut the rear coils. Eventually I bagged it all.

4. charliegffg

charliegffg
    from CT

jamco has 3 inch drop coils all the way around i was thinking about those and maybe the dropped uprights not a 100% sure yet thanks for the info

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ready made dropped coils for the rear would be the simplest way to drop it.

But another way, at least on the rear is to find some shorter coils at a wrecking yard with the that match the ends on yours and swap springs. Just try to stay with springs of a car that is close in weight to yours.

6. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Mine is Fatman dropped uprights up front, which is what they call spindles on newer vehicles, you also will have to heat and bend your steering arms for to avoid bumpsteer. My is also Bagged on all four corners. If you dont want to bag yours you can go through Jamco for lowering springs, Also I have read on other theads that 79 elcamino rear coil springs fit well and lower it like 4 inches. but I dont have any facts on that.

Attached Files:

7. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Lowered Buicks are so sexy-here's my old '53.
    [​IMG]

greaserchief likes this.
  8. csimonds

csimonds

1979 El Camino rear coil springs drops the rear 2 to 3 inches from what I have been told by many people.
    Chuck

9. BenzDoctor

BenzDoctor

I used H&R coils for an 88 GM G body. I like the way it looks and rides. I am going to put the Fatman front spindles on soon. I do NOT suggest heating the springs to lower. That takes the spring out of the spring steel. Cutting is ok, I have done that on other vehicles I have owned. Here is a link to the Buick forum from when I did my car.

http://www.teambuick.com/forums/showthread.php?14440-Coil-Springs

10. padorey

padorey

hard way to go, but it works for me on 53 Super. Monte Carlo full chassis with air bags all the way around,. power brakes, power steering parts avability, Also mid 80's Impala works well.

Attached Files:

11. foresthunter

foresthunter

That is sweet looking!

12. sololobo

sololobo

Yikes, I love these Buicks, thanx for the sweet pix. Good luck with your project, and yeah heating any coils is a desperate move you will only regret. Rock on. ~sololobo~

13. thunderroad

thunderroad
    from san mateo

I have her bagged in the front with stock suspension, bagged in the rear with four link.
    [​IMG]

14. Theopwk

Theopwk
    from Spokane WA

I cut a wrap and a half off the front and used rear spings off of a 65 Olds F85 on my 54. If you are going to keep the lever shocks in the rear, shorten the links to prevent the shocks from bottoming out.

[​IMG]

15. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I used jeep cherokee springs on mine...bolted right in the rear, 4 inch drop, no fuss no muss...
    I snagged em for free off my buddy's 68 c 10 race truck...

[​IMG]

Oldkrow likes this.
  16. layedout49

layedout49

What year jeep ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. tommyduncan

tommyduncan

Cherokees are leaf spring rear. Maybe a Grand Cherokee?

I used 97-05 Wrangler rear springs on my 62 GMC and the Grands have the same design but are heavier so they might work better.

Any 90's Grand has coils. Not sure what the later ones have?

The 07' up Wranglers have coils also.

18. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

what year cherokee?