Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Build Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Thanks. What was all complete, minus the engine? You had a 59 Elco? Mine came with a 283/3spd manual.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I was just out in the garage looking at mine, not working on it though, I'm lazy.

You are leaping forward.

3. Hahaha.. I feel you! I actually enjoy doing the door jambs, though! Not looking forward to the interior, but that's later. Don't wanna think about it, cos there's plenty of time for that!

4. Doors on.. striker came off. Primed and painted under there and the hinges! I didn't wanna remove the striker, but I ended up having to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Oh yeah!

[​IMG]

I also received the electric motor, that'll actuate the hide-away radio 'situation'!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Last adjustments on the fitment of the door an I stripped this piece. So I drilled it out to 9/16". Then welded a nut inside of it.. good as new!

[​IMG]

Then I made the arm, that will actuate the hide away, audio faceplate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Cool deal. Is that a Mc Master Carr find ? I see it says Do Not Stall, is your design going to allow it to never hit a stop at either ends of the travel ?

8. It is a McMaster Carr, piece.. and no, it won't stop on anything. Where ever it stops, it stays put pretty well. Going to see where it'll fit, right now!

9. Here's Scotty's Muffler at Colton, plus the Jim Mackey/Jim Kitchen roadster at 1:45.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vintagetvs#p/u/27/B6kZ1ohCLBM

Now, I was thinking it was his A' Roadster, aka "Stan Back" in the right lane @ 1:45.. But, it was actually the Jim Mackey/Jim Kitchen 'T' Roadster in the 'left' lane. I just thought I'd share..

10. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Hey J, do you know if the video was from Morrow Field in Colton, CA. I have a picture of Scotty's car somewhere. I also rode in Jim's A roadster many years ago when he would terrorize the streets. Oops my bad, I see you did say it was Colton.

11. Yeah, I rode in the A roadster once. I was surprised, when he told me it was the T in the video. I'm not sure about the track.. before my time! Have a good one! Jay

12. It's not perfect.. but I'm reasonably satisfied with the bodywork. The arrow shows the qtrs being high an it's that way on both sides. I will probably have to deal with it, coss it's bugging me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy with the lines now..

[​IMG]

Used the cutting torch, just to practice with it some more. I cut out the bracket that will bolt to the dashes support bracket. Easy to work & get to right now, w/o the dash speaker grille in the way. Decided not to put it under the seat.

[​IMG]

Still have to grind, to clean things up.. but it got too late. Don't wanna make anymore noise!

[​IMG]

13. HELLMET

HELLMET

that door might be a little low move it up a hair the gap at the bottom looks good but all you need is a 16th or so to move it up . billy

14. I have it adjusted all the way up.. loosened everything, used a jack to motivate it, yet I'm still dealing with it. I will have to figure it out, not to happy about it!

15. Stripping the fender down.. fun fun! The paint remover works well, when it stays moist! So the garage works well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's time to bang out some dents.. Bang Bang!

16. 39 tow

39 tow
    from Utah

I just read all 51 pages. All I can say is WOW! Man you sir are an artist. with so many people I see nowadays spreading bondo on like it is sheet metal it is good to see there are still those around that can do it the right way.
    Keep going, this is gonna turn out great!

17. Thanks, I appreciate that.

[​IMG]

Yesterday, I finished up the gap.. It's the same as the otherside, so I'm done(doesn't mean the car is, but I am!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soo purdy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I grabbed the psngr side, so I could follow and work the correct body lines back into the fender.. (I'm a Tri-Five Dork, This the first 59 I've been around)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. billys54

billys54

19. Feels real good to be done, from the doors back.. It was nice to be able to move along. Thanks!

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Man you are making great progress ! Do you have a goal as to when you might paint it?

21. Not an exact time but it should be soon. I can't lift my arm.. a past shoulder seperation, sometimes comes back to plague me. Unexpected set backs, slowing things down right now. Oh-well..

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

23. Okay.. today I was back in the game! I did a lot of welding, shrinkin' & stretchin' to get things back into shape. Once you know where to start first, things want to 'snap back' like a vineagar douche! I can't believe there are more mirror holes, in the effin fndr. Hot, damn!

[​IMG]

This spot gave the most resistance.. til I figured shit out!

[​IMG]

Before I started

[​IMG]

Minused the El Camino emblem holes and the antenae hole, too

[​IMG]

It cooperated fairly easily.. so I thought

[​IMG]

I'm happy with my welds.. it's nothin but time, I'll get better.

[​IMG]

titties!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just more work..

[​IMG]

they leaded these mirror holes closed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to shape up, after much motivation!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that everything else was where it should be.. the lip would start to move after being struck with a 2x4 an a hammer.

[​IMG]

That same bad spot..

[​IMG]

But then the same spot needed shrinking again.. Fuck if I know why! That's a problem, cos I didn't figure out why it reacted that way. I just had to get it done..

[​IMG]

Once in shape, I started to derust things with the B/L.

[​IMG]

24. Then I scrubbed it down w/a scotch-brite and the hose..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, I will finish getting ALL the paint off! Then Metal prep it, an add a lil bit o' filler to this thing!

25. I had to add some metal, to the bottom of the fender, to match up to the new rockers. Stripping the hood in the garage at the same time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to start slingin'!

[​IMG]

Needin to add more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little more for Santa Claus, A little more for Santa Claus.. A lil More for SANTA CLAUS!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guarantee there was a carb fire, in the past!! Dumb f_ _ _in' people!!

[​IMG]

26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Beautiful, teach me how to gas weld, I'm coming over next week.
    I'm on to block sanding on mine, it's so tedious, my arms and hands are cramping up and I have a gig on Friday, the biggest one yet for us, The Hard Rock at Universal, I hope I make it.

27. More water (to go with the beer) an you'll have less cramps! That would be cool to go check out the show. Id love to see Florida this time of year! Teach me the patience I don't have for stainless, and you'll learn gas OA no prob. My Dad showed me the basics when I was 10, then I was always around it. But I wasn't allowed to use it, being it was his $makin tools..

28. Looking good. The hood that came on my 59 Elky had a big dip in it just above the Carb, what's the deal with that.

I was able to get another hood and replaced it instead of tryng to fix it.

Keep going like you are, I made the mistake of finishing the drivetrain and started driving mine, been trying to take it back down for body work and more rust repair going on 3yr now.

29. I am pretty sure I won't find a bargain on a 59 hood, anytime soon.. So I'm setting out to rehash this one. There's three lil cancer holes up front, along with the 'dip ' you were talking about. The bottom support has been hacked & beaten up.. don't know why they did that either! My 57 never really got finished.. but it was damn close!

30. I stripped the hood sides, with the intentions of seperating the hood skin, from the support brace. Not too many spot welds, yet I decided to take the easy route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know wtf they were doing.. or even who 'they' are! But they shouldn't do that anymore! I ordered the new hood insulation, the hood V and some other odds and ends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very happy with the results.. I just had to stretch it out a little. Pic doesn't do it justice! "Barely" any light under the straight edge.. not easy to photograpgh.

[​IMG]

The other dents in the hoods nose, I'll use the stud puller. I will derust the underside of the hood, tomorrow! Fun fun

[​IMG]

The tabs are intact on the v/cvrs.. of course there's dents in 'em. What else! But the flanges are nice!