Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

You know how magazines are always whining about how hard it is to photograph a black car?
    Here's a black car shot at night.

2. John F

John F

[​IMG]

Here's another one! :D

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

LN7: "Love those hideaway head lights! "

fbi9c1: It's too bad they didn't continue that headlight design on the 46-8 cars. I always thought that the Chryslers also looked like they were destined for the hideaway lights. The 46-8 Desoto/Chryslers looked to me like the fixed lights were an afterthought due to manufacturing economies. Those were certainly stout well-built cars if not exactly thrilling to drive. We had a '48 Chrysler sedan and I remember as a small child being fascinated by the speedometer lighting that changed colors as speed increased. It was a 6 and pretty sluggish compared to the competition. My dad traded it in on a new '50 Lincoln. The Lincoln was cool looking in my opinion, but he probably should have gotten a V8 Olds.

[​IMG]

Jimi: I'm just glad this car made it to 1942 production. :D MoPar had obviously seen the styling advantages of headlights NOT having to dictate style lines -- meaning, they saw how sleek the Cord 810/12 had been. Had the U.S. not been drawn inevitably into the war, it's not hard to think that hideaways might have become common, not ONLY on Chrysler Corp. cars. :rolleyes:

I'm a DeSoto guy. And though the 46-48 club and business coupes are my second favorite :p, I DO agree with the comments in red. Picture one of those without headlight clutter, a slightly more imaginative grille and swoopy side trime, plus a 345 Adventurer Hemi dropped in front of a well-adjusted Torqueflite. What a rod that would be! :eek:

4. jackf500

jackf500
    from Avon IN

I've really been enjoying this thread! It took me a couple of weeks, but I finally caught up.
    This dealership is the Barber Warnock Co. Ford Sales and Service in Indianapolis. The photo was taken in 1922.
    In later years this same building was home to Foxworthy Ford. Anyone growing up in central Indiana, in the 1950's and 1960's, would remember their jingle: "Foxworthy Ford just can't be beat, 819 East Washington Street".
    The building was torn down, in the early 1970's, for the construction of Interstate 70.

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

And he is drinking that Belgian crap beer !!

6. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Some of the photographers I know use lights:D

7. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

They do look cool with the headlights removed IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does that help? ;)

I love doing night shots, I can afford a nicer camera, but my Nikon will do up to I think 8 seconds of exposure, and in the dark on a tripod that can make some pretty cool photos!

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Getting back to vintage images: 1942-VS-1946. Pretty ladies aside,
    it's a very different car with the stationary headlights, isn't it?

[​IMG]

9. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

poor 'ol 41 de soto lost it's teeth. (on page 1154). gotta say I really enjoy the pictures of LA and the southwest... but they are ALL good! (just noticed the left front fender of a '42 de soto that is slowly passing the '41 de soto... it's just above the '41s left fender... and notice that the headlight door is slightly open.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  10. jackf500

jackf500
    from Avon IN

These are shots of the interior of the Fisher Automobile Co., in Indianapolis. This early dealership- it opened around 1900- was supposedly the first in the United States to feature more than one make of automobile.
    Carl Fisher, who owned the dealership, is well known for being one of the founders of the Indianapolis Motor Spedway and for founding Miami Beach Florida.

11. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

Thanks for the photos and discussions regarding the DeSotos, guys. It's really nice to see the level of knowledge displayed in this thread!

12. Isn't this from the '50s British movie ''The Hell Drivers''?

13. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I've seen that, those Dodges are so unusual, they would make cool rods!

14. fordclubcoupe37

fordclubcoupe37
    from Mich

No fast food in those two. Awesome!!

15. MrsKong

MrsKong
    from Northeast

Awesome awesome photos!

16. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

17. v8nutter

v8nutter

18. v8nutter

v8nutter

19. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Don't know where or when but nice old photo.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  20. [​IMG]

looks like somebody designing the 42 Desoto saw Harley Earl's 38 Y-Job
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, LowCat, THANKS for the pic of Harley's Y-Job with the lamps up. Never saw it that way before. Of course, the Y was not a production model. DeSoto got almost a thord of the way through their production run before the war halted civilian production. So, at least they are not like the Do-do bird.

22. these photos were captioned:
    steam tractor day, August 1951
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 1953 Dardanelle, AR

[​IMG]