Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

[​IMG]

I believe the car in question is in the center this picture. Scratch Daniels drove this car, while Jerry Richert drove the "high sided" car on the right (#63). I love Wagner's "W" in the front nerf bars.

2. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Scratch's Wagner car in that time frame had identical paint to the ex-Foyt car (driven by Jerry Richert). Both were white and blue, with gold leaf trim. The ex-Foyt car was No. 62; the ex-Dave Beatson "roadster" styled car was No. 63. Both ran early season USAC races, then returned to IMCA. Beautiful cars. Richert later ran the No. 63 car very successfully.

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

ATTENTION!!!
    ------------------
    I am in need of a NORDEN steering box!!

------------------------------------------------

Anyone with one.. or even a Line on one PLEASE PM me ASAP.

Thank you all!

J Shaw

4. easter

easter

One of the saddest attempts in racing history: when they placed a dirt modified "coupe" body over top of the #63 car. I'm sure Rootie has a pic. That's like painting a rain coat over Farah Fawcett's poster. And, Old Bill, I think you're right, I saw Scratch's car with #62 on it after it was #61 for awhile.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I'm pretty sure this is the former Beatson/Wagner "fat" car as a modified. FWIW- Don Shepard built the car for Beatson but when Beatson got divorced and folded up his racing opration, he owed Shepard money. In exchange for that he gave Shep. the car, which he then sold to Wagner and bought the other Elmer George team car which became the K.E.Y. car.

Attached Files:

• jr1.jpg
      jr1.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
    • jr.jpg
      jr.jpg
      File size:
      57.2 KB
      Views:
  6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Check this RB Blatz photo

Attached Files:

7. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Josh
    Are you looking for a Nordon box for a midget or big car?

8. Dick L

Dick L

The #87 car was owned by Tom Wilke. Jerry Lepinski drove it as a mod and later as a sprint car. As I said earlier the Foyt car was driven locally by Ron Larson.

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

BIG CAR. I know there is one on Ebay but I'd rather not bid for one.. plus I'd like to give one of ya'll my money!

Thanks,

JD

10. Pace cars need lovin too!

1963 Langehorne

11. DKEITH

DKEITH
    from INDIANA

I was at the 63 langhorn race. I sat slightly to the left of where the pase car was hit.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

GREAT NEWS FELLA'S!! Check this out!

[​IMG]

I have been hired to complete the Final Restoration Assembly on the 1923 Indianapolis 500 WINNING car, The Tommy Milton Miller at ZAKIRA'S here in Cinciinati!!! I can't put into words what this means to me. It is an HONOR in two ways: To work on this Great Miller race car, AND to work in this shop!!

The best part is I'll be able to share progress pics with all of you over the next couple months, and you all will be able to see it come together.

The car is scheduled to be at INDY on display for the 100th this year.

J Shaw

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Very cool. I think you better get crackin'... Gary

14. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That was a great video Brian 26, thanks for posting. Can't even imagine doing that...especially in those cars...

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

So uh when does a average joe like myself get to take a sneak peek at this machine?

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

I know it has been posted before, but I was going thru some old pics I have snagged along the way and just had to throw it up for coolness sake.. I believe it is Chuck Booth at the Indy Fairgrounds, not sure of the year.. Please correct me if I am wrong.... This one just sums up the week I've had...:rolleyes:

17. easter

easter

One of the greatest photos in the history of auto racing. Hell, this ought to be on the Dollar Bill.

18. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Joshua, fwiw, from our own Michael Ferner Old Racing Cars site
    http://www.oldracingcars.info/marques/indy/miller/1923/
    Identification number, year, original owner/driver, colour and number (notes)
    ‘2301′
    the 1923 Milton/Milton green (& red?) #1 car (1923 Indy winner)
    Press presentation at Los Angeles Speedway in Beverly Hills on March 6; new for Tommy Milton at Fresno Raisin Day event (Apr 26) but engine wrecked in time trial two days before the race, qualified the next day too slow to make the field, did not start; fitted with truss rods left and right under the frame rails, and repainted white at Indianapolis Memorial Day due to sponsorship by HCS car company, qualified fastest four days before the race with a new track record, led most of the race with the help of relief driver Howdy Wilcox to win handsomely from three other ‘122’s; fitted with custom-made radiator shell (HCS style) and driven by Milton in six other events till the end of the year, retiring every time except for an 8th place finish at Altoona Labor Day and a win in the non-championship dirt track race in record time at the New York State Fair (Sep 15); engine pulled and used for car ‘2433-X’, chassis damaged in last race of 1923 season and frame (without truss rods) possibly used to build Sig Haugdahl’s “bobtail” car: drum brakes moved front to rear, special body without rear section, but with modified engine cover and steering slot, wire mesh radiator and ‘183′ type engine (apparently from the 1922 “Durant Special” #7 car); new for Sig Haugdahl at an alleged price of $12,500 for testing at Ascot Speedway on Apr 1, raced there a few times and then shipped East on Apr 30; raced as an Alex Sloan team car by Haugdahl in IMCA events, then mostly by Fred Horey from late 1924 on (white #40) until 1928; apparently fitted with DOHC Duesenberg engine (from Ralph de Palma’s 1922 Duesey ‘183′?), new radiator and tail section for 1929 and again raced by Haugdahl; possibly to Oscar “Swede” Anderson from Michigan late 1929; subsequent history unclear.

19. wynns #1

wynns #1

Josh,
    Congrats and good luck on your new project. Keep the updates coming. Joe

20. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

21. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

they got it wrong .it's a 96 gambler on ebay.

22. racer5c

racer5c

Chuck Booth and Wally Meskowski

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I wish I knew who took that photo of Chuck and Wally. I'm working on a book and I'd love to use it.

24. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

After this VERY AWKWARD introduction to sprint car racing on dirt, does anyone know if Danny Ongias ever attempted oval track dirt racing again??

25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I wonder if the announcer ever got in a car? Not much empathy there...

26. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I love these Wallen videos! I could easily spend a small fortune on them all but if I did I'd have no place to watch them.

27. Josh,

Congratulations- Millers are fantasitc cars and Milton's is one of my favorites!

Make sure you post this on the 1894-1944 racing thread as well- I bet those guys will love to hear the good news :)

Lastly, if at all possible, PLEASE do a thread on the restoration!!!

[​IMG]

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Good call Mac, I will do a thread on it. Ryan would like that. I have several pictures of the car coming together from begining to now.. I'll also post them on the 94' - 44' site as well.

Thanks,

J Shaw

P.S. Good seeing a few of yopu today at the Columbus Oldtimers meet. It was GREAT seeing the #19 Bowles Offy out of storage! Hope some people got some pictures, Joe Baird re-chromed a few parts, and buffed everything on the car. It is looking BEAUTIFUL!!!

The pictures below are of one of the few times it was out about 10 - 15 years ago.

Attached Files:

• 948.jpg
      948.jpg
      File size:
      160.8 KB
      Views:
  29. A friend of mine has a pic of his Interscope IMSA Porsche (along with the hauler) stuck in the infeild at Amarillo Speedway back in the 70's.

Danny had friends all over the place. Except for turn four at Indy.:rolleyes:

30. 4everblue

4everblue

Imagine standing next to this one running in the pits ( dirt )