Register now to get rid of these ads!

35 windshield install help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctor chip, Mar 10, 2011.

1. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

Got all new glass for my 35 ford tudor. Everything went well until I got to the windshield. I got bedding tape from mac's, and cleaned frame thoroughly and painted it. I've got the two halves within 1/2 inch of being together and I cant get them any further. I'm afraid I'm gonna break the glass. Does anyone have any tips/ suggestions?

2. I was at the same stage and used a rubber mallet to nudge it. Just about closed the gap and heard "Tink". Then I ordered new glass, took it to an old time glass guy and he installed it-with black silicone, no tape.
    Works fine for me.
    RB

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned this the hard way once... I made my patterns exactly to the correct size, but when my glass guy traced them with a Sharpie that added about a 1/4 inch all the way around that pattern.

That made the glass too damn big to fit in the frame. Might not be your problem, just something to consider.

Good luck, -Abone.

4. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

did it 4 times before gettin it right...finally, a smooch smaller and black silicon....aggravatin pos

5. Black Primer

Black Primer

There are different thickness glass setting tapes. Maybe a thinner tape will give you a little extra room.

6. lubricate
    parts all the same temp

7. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

Bought the glass from Bob's classic class, Lubed it with soap, mineral spirits and silicone spray, beat it as much as I dared and tried my wood working clamps as much as I dared. Macs only has the one thickness 1/16" I think. I did not test fit it first - guess I should have . Will pull it apart tomorrow.

8. I use black electrial tape. Layer it untill the frame is snug. Then I run a tiny bead of silicone on the inside & outside between the glass and frame to be sure of no leaks.

9. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I use black silicone, a lot easier to work with and works better when you have slight imperfections. It will not put any stress on the glass.

10. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

Pulled the frame apart and dry fitted it . Went together with coaxing. Did it a couple times and ended up popping a nickle size chip of the edge. Grrrr. Carefully checked the frame and looked for shiny spots or signs of rubbing and carefully ground a little.No way tape would work so I'm going with the silicone. Couple questions: 1)Is the chip likely to turn into a crack? 2)Is there a particular type/brand of silicone to use - I've read other posts where they discouraged its use claiming it will promote rust. Thanks everyone

11. jetmek

jetmek

most autobody supply places have urethane glass sealant that mite be better than rtv

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

NOT silicone, use urethane. Any glass shop will sell you a tube of of the stuff. Wear some exam gloves, and mask off anything you don't want smeared with black goop. Ask me how I know this...

Brian

13. oldman2

oldman2

X2 with the urethane, mines been in 8 yrs and in the rain several times, no leaks.

14. butyl rubber caulking never dries never hardens

silicone will leave a air gap some where when hard and it will leak ... butyl sealant is used in the glass industry ... sunroofs , plate plate windows
    allows for expansion and contraction without losing seal
    its a clay like seal come in rolls ..
    i repeat never use silicone unless you can guaranteeit has zero gaps- voids

sounds as though two edges of your glass need sanding to fit .. emery paper will work cover all glass surfaces with tape first

15. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

Talked to Bob at Bob's classic glass and he did not recommend silicone either. His advice was get thinner tape (1/32 or 1/64). Bet that tears easy. Or he suggested using friction tape all the way around glass and a very thin bead of urethane on outside edge of window frame channel. The chip he referred to as a "clamshell" (good description) and said its not likely to crack. Wet sanding the clamshell to remove any sharp edges may be a good idea. I'll check with a glass shop and see if they got thinner tape Thanks all .

16. doctor chip

doctor chip
    from Delevan NY

Well I threw in the towel and took it to a glass guy today and to my amazement he had one setting there just like it that he had just finished. He is going to use urethane and a little black cauk around the edges mostly for appearances. He is going to work on the chip too. Thanks again everyone and hopefully this thread will benefit others in the future too