Register now to get rid of these ads!

Your best keep secret resource.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjsr19, Mar 8, 2011.

1. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

What is your best keep secret resource for materials parts tools ect. I would love it if we all could share the little secrets that make building our cars and projects cheaper and easier.

I will start. At Menard s they get lumber strapped to square tubing. They tend to put it in trash cans marked metal at the end of an isle. I asked an employee if I could have the tube, he sent me to the building materials desk. They told me no problem and I have gotten a few loads sense.

The tube looks like this.

[​IMG]

2. That's a pretty good tip there!

3. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Off to google to figure out if Menards is in Florida.....................

4. A good source for sheetmetal for patches and fabrication is the large panels cut out of dead fridges and freezers.

I've been using them for years and it has good corrosion resistance as a bonus.

1b.jpg 2b.jpg 3b.jpg

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

For patching metal etc I like to grab old door skins and other panels left from collision repair at work. They get tossed to recycling for minimal $$$ unless one of us decide to take them home.
    Yes...they are painted and require cleanup to use, but I'd much rather clean paint off nice metal than clean rust and mill scale off sheets from the local metal supply.
    Cold rolled would be special order and expensive over here!

6. NoPaint

NoPaint

Floorpans made of an old hood lying around.

7. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

I never thought of using freezers.
    when I first got my plasma cutter I took it and cut sheet metal out of a 64 Chevy that my neighbor was scraping. I have to clean up some paint but it works.

8. Not just refrigerators and freezers but junk washers, dryers, and stoves are a good source of sheet metal for patch panels, plus it's easier to salvage it from washers, dryers, and stoves than it is from refrigerators and freezers.

Ever Saturday when I haul the trash off, I check the metal recycling bin where I have gotten all of the metal shelving that is in my shop along with some old '50s vintage metal kitchen cabinets that are perfect for shop use. I've pulled a lot of neat stuff out of the scrap metal bin.

Of course, any time I need steel plate, aluminum plate, tubing, angle or channel stock in smaller quantities, I hit the scrap metal recycler about two miles from my house and buy it by the pound rather than buy new stuff at hardware store prices. He scraps out a lot of old industrial machinery (think shafts, bearings, flat sheet metal, plate in varying thicknesses, channel, angle, and bar stock in abundance).

Big luxury cars like late model Lincoln Town Cars and Cadillacs are a good source for sound deadening/insulation material that is better than the aftermarket stuff and cheap to boot. Front wheel drive cars (especially mid-80's front wheel drive Cadillacs) are a good source for steering shafts with universal joints that can be adapted to a lot of things. Need a good heater with defrost that will easily fit in the tight confines of '40s and older vehicles? Look at the one in '70s Ford Courier/ Mazda pickups. Need a hanging pedal assembly for a '40-'47 Ford pickup? The pedal assembly from a '52-'56 Ford or Mercury car fits like it was custom made for it.

9. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

All great info. My metal recyclers will not sell anything.

10. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hmmm. Best kept secret resource....

I'd say this one...

Attached Files:

11. Rod Zombie

Rod Zombie
    from Florida

If I tell you I will have to kill you.

12. I'm pretty protective of my best resourse also, but I'll give everybody a hint.

His initials are H.A.M.B.

;)

13. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Or for a hotrod/custom spare tire, check your local "crotch rocket" motorcycle shop. They just toss the old tires out back for people to pick up and don't forget the "crates" that the bikes come on. Also, check your local engine installer for newer cars that blow up motors and the engine crates are just tossed back by the dumpsters. And for "scrap" metal (but, you have to beat the local metal junkers), go to your local car dealership with a body shop out back and they just PILE up scrap metal for the junkers to stop by and get.

14. toolman1967

toolman1967

My local True Value still has chrome nuts and bolts as well as stainless. They keep all kinds of ODD pieces and parts there, sometimes I am there 5-10 times a day when doing a final assembly. Mine even carries small heim joints. I also hit the local Farm store, metal, pipe, aluminum, pulleys and belts, all kinds of stuff you didnt even know you needed.

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hank's Anal Misery Basement?

16. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I work for the Housing Authority and am always in the public housing projects. People there are always moving out and throwing out thier old bedframes. I got a real good supply of light duty angle iron! :D

17. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

scrap metal bin in the maintenance shop where I work. lots of stainless too!

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I also get the old washer , dryers , fridges for scape sheet metal . You can also get the top off an old wagon for small change and will do an entire floor and truck with some still left over . I also get drive shafts to make Zoomie headers from .

I also pick up different size diameters scraps of thick piping to use for making different angles and curves for metal work . You can get them from plumper's or when the tear down an old building before they clean it all up .

If you have R/R tracks near you check to see if thy have replaced any rails . They make great anvils .

I also pick up all the bed frames from yard sales and trash to make all kinds of things from . I am using them now to make radiator frames from and some non stressful straps for my engine test stand . That way I can fold down the radiator support and gauge pannel for easy storage . The make great frames for holding the radiator , frames for gauges and things like that .
    They also make a good first welding project for a welding cart !

55 gallon steel drums also have some good thick metal on them as well .

Retro Jim

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I bought a pair of fence posts from Menards the other day for my floor supports. They're about the same shape as the old ones (U shaped).
    My favorite is the wheelbarrow I bought at Menards for my lower quarters.
    [​IMG]

20. fonti

fonti

my garage...

21. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

if i tell someone my secret... its not much of a secret any longer...

three years ago, i'd have thought about actually answering this question...

22. bb1970

bb1970

I learned a lesson about sharing "secret" sources for parts and goodies. I had a place I got $3 batteries. I told two guys about my spot. Now they never have any. Lesson learned. Keep your fucking mouth shut if you got a good thing going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Frank

Frank

Seen it posted here before, but the big box stores cut chains when bought by the foot. The left over half a link is tossed. They collect these for later recycling, but i understand they will give you the bucket full if you ask. Handy for welding on to things like headache racks for bungies and stuff. Lots of uses.

Old PC cases have good metal skin that can be used for things.

24. I'd like to see pics of the kitchen cabinets to see what brand and such.

Thanks,
    Kurt

25. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

I realize that some will not want to share. I thought about not telling anyone, but that would have only helped me in one town there are other Menards and other hardware giants around the country. they might have a similar deal. I thought this could help someone struggling to complete a project. I understand not wanting to tell yours, But if you don't feel like telling yours feel free to not post. I just wanted to share the wealth.

26. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

Thank you to everyone these are great tips keep them coming.

27. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

make freinds with your local apartment maintenance guy or handyman, most ceiling fans have between 48 and 72 inches of wire and only a foot gets used. i've got a ton of 3 to 5ft peices of multi-strand gas and oil resistant 16 and 18 ga wire in blue white and black. works great for gauges/stereos etc.

28. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I made what I thought was a great dash for an Anglia out of a old metal desk.

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have a good neighbor friend that works for a major company and they use lots of metal products that are loaded with these straps that are super strong and don't stretch . They are in a circle and he has given about a dozen to me . I use them for just about anything from picking up rears to engines and never had one break or anything yet . The grease and oil doesn't effect them either . They are about 2" wide and about 12' to 15' long if you cut it . I use them one engine pulling and installs all the time and never worry about scratching or denting parts like a chain will do . They are also good for 2 guys to pick up a rear or trans to move it and you don't even have to bend over and strain your back ! They are used to pick up crates full of metal and when they use them one time they can't reuse then due to OSHA regs . They tow cars as well and are great for extra length needed to hold down cars and parts on trailers and pick ups .

Another good item to have is the Harley ratchet straps they hold the bikes down during transportation . I find them at swap meets all the time for a couple bucks each . That's also a good item to have !

Retro Jim

30. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

if you need plywood or particle board for cabinets or shelfs check out a cabinet building shop. one near me tosses the odd or scratched pieces that they cant use in a burn pile and when asked said to help yourself anytime its out there. Ive used it to build shelfs and for the unseen parts of the custom kitchen cabinets i built for my kitchen,they have 1/4-1/2 and 3/4 thickness stock.