Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unchopping a chopped 57 Ford Ranchero windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Mar 6, 2011.

1. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

3. cheveey57

cheveey57

Dude with a helper like that, how the hell can you pay attention to the car??

4. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Top notch work, Very Impressed

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

A quick Photoshop adjustment to view your idea... is this what you had in mind?

[​IMG]

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I think I'm more inclined to stay with a more factory "what if" appearance... at this point... following the factory black paint... reasonably stock style interior... maybe Square Bird buckets whick could have be feasible for a factory protype... maybe even a FE using the same logic... at this point no side trim since I don't want to mess with all the no holes NOS pieces... and Ford did initially bring out the earliest ones with no side trim because I spoke to someone who's Dad bought one of the first ones off the showroom floor that way... basically a factory "double take" most people won't even notice the chop but will be confused with the new roof if they know 57's

7. -DouG-

-DouG-

Love this build!

I also think this is the way to go! -it's subtle enough to go along with the 'what if' look.

8. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Butch is back in business (butchscoolstuff.com)- maybe he remembers the car?

9. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

A diversion... I'm on here asking for input so... even though I'm thinking more factory proto than a full design change... it's worth a Photoshop moment... the only way I could see it working is with 56 Parklane type trim panel on the post... cause the B pillar looks to heavy to me... don't know... opinions please

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Slova68

Slova68
    from Canton, OH

I can make it happen! Just say the word! :D

11. it does look a little heavy in the photo shop, but i kinda like it. i like how everything leans forward. The b-pillar going straight up kinda looks out of place

12. junkmonger

junkmonger

How will you crank the windows up and down?:confused:

13. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

First, off the car will have the original vent windows so you will have a vertical channel in the front... Second, the more I look at it - I see visions of an early 60's Chevy Pick-up truck top... somethings aren't worth messing with... there was a reason for the cowl change out and an OEM windshiel was a real bonus... and I'm ok with the original design Ranchero...

14. yeah, i guess they can look really cool, just found this one

[​IMG]

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

And this one is 2 3/8" than the one pictured... black with tinted windows your eyes will go from the canted A pillar to the matching stainless bed/roof tin and never stop at the vertical rear door because we are used to seeing it in most 50's cars

16. junkmonger

junkmonger

I think you're making a wise decision. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The cowl change is a nice, subtle touch. This will be one fine Ranchero!

17. What if the b-pillar was tapered a little ?
    The second pic looks like it would be parallel, top to bottom.

18. badshifter

badshifter

Very NICE! From the looks of the welds, you only had to sand or file them, as opposed to grind them! That pic looks like most before pics, not an after pic!

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

If we ever get past the freezing rain & snow to get some full profile shots... oddly we had a mid-morning that was dry when we started blasting... but, before Scott was finished it started snowing so I didn't get many pictures...

the shots where the roof looks primered is still bare metal

20. Slova68

Slova68
    from Canton, OH

Thanks!.....but I did have to grind them some. I just try to keep the welds nice enough that I can clean them up with minimal work using an air angle die grinder. I do like to file once I get close, whenever possible.....that way I don't dig in to the original metal with the grinder too much.

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, Car is looking great. Not a fan of black paint jobs, but think you are going to have one neat and smooth Kustom ! Looking forward to the interior you will be putting in. Need some ideas for my '64 Falcon six banger hardtop.

Dave

22. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Ian, Talk about visions, I woke up thinking about one of your cast eyeball replacing the Edsel emblem with wings cast into the open span on each side... maybe someone would think "the blue oval team" came up with the flying eyeball for thier 50's sports pick-up of the future... NOT !

With your talents... This could work!

[​IMG]

23. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

amazing project, hope to seeit all assembled soon.

24. Excellent work! It looks great and I can't wait to see it completely finished and in paint.

25. dvs

dvs

I like the pillar in the stock position. 2 cents.

26. Simply amazing. I love the work. Definitely subscribing!

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

OK, what the heck is that chrome thingy?

28. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I like this much better than the straight version.

[​IMG]

B:)B

29. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Great project! I am following your progress because I am in the same predicament. I am working on a '58 Ford 2 door Ranch Wagon with a completely rusted out cowl. I have purchased a '58 Ford 4 door Fairlane 500 parts car that is rust free. I wanted to swap cowls/windshield posts. Are the 4 door sedan 500 posts different than the 300 series windshield posts? I wanted to leave about 5 inches of the post coming down off the wagon roof, and leave the remaining from the fairlane500 cowl.

Here is a link to what I am working with

http://ranchwagon.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/58-ranch-wagon-dash-front-floors-after.jpg