Register now to get rid of these ads!

my dream car & a rude awakening!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TEXASLadyKiller, Mar 8, 2011.

1. dart165

dart165

Jeez, take it easy guys. The dude likes 50's hearses. Give him a break.
    If you are gonna hate, hate on the dude who turned it into a hillbilly moster truck.

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I would rather have a FORD then a sheeeeeet hauler like that . At any cost.
    MY $.O2

3. Its not you that's dreaming, wait a month then go back and offer him what you are willing to give to drive something that I wouldn't be caught dead in. :D

4. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

That's absurd. Can't say I haven't seen worse for one though. Hearses have a solid following, and never seem to go for cheap (unless they're freshly decomished). But that's insane. Tell him he can keep that shitty 4wd suspension, you just want the body.

Actually most of the hearse people I know are of the older persuasion.
    There's a guy in my old town that has a wicked 60's something Caddy that he's had for 20+ years, and no, it's not covered in flat black.
    A couple of my friends bands have hearses. Good for hauling all that wannabe equipment around from gig to gig.
    anything to take a shot at scenesters I guess...:rolleyes:

5. adamshumard

adamshumard

I have a 62 cadillac combo car (hearse/ambulance) it has windows all the way down it. No paneled area. But it does have a tall top. I bought it for a stylish way to carry my band and all our gear. No skulls or black paint. Just a cadillac with a functional size for us.

6. I had a room mate who worked at a funeral home... Sometimes he would bring home the van that toted bodies from the hospitals back to the funeral home (meat wagon) or he'd pick me to go to lunch... No supernatural stuff going on in a plain white Dodge van with a fake plastic "S" shaped top iron glued to the side... I suspect the same with a big station wagon.

Was it a 2010 Suburban?

7. Actually one of my buddies when I was in high school hade a 49 or 50 cadillac hearse, complete with an old casket. We spent a week touring the Oregon coast with it. Someone was always in the casket and whoever was driving had to wear the little drivers uniform, Black, narrow lapels, skinny tie.

he called it his love machine, but he was pretty twisted most of the time.

8. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Sounds like a good time...or more acurately like some of the shit we used to do in high school.

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

and all the Hillbilly and Redneck comments,,,just remember folks it was those same people who started tweaking on cars many moons ago that contributed greatly to hot rodding

10. chopperfugger

chopperfugger
    from austin

That price is dead on.

11. I think even the Antique Car Shows usually don't let them and ambulances in. But I think Ed "Big Daddy" Roth use to drive one to shows and sleep in it-many many years ago. Hearses and ambulances never cut it for me, leave for moving the dead then trash 'em for parts. :(

12. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

I don't get all the hate on hearses.

[​IMG]

clearly its miles away from being to this point, but its got potential... just not at that price.

I dunno, I think Hearses make for a cool and interesting body style. I do agree though that all of em done up with spider webs and red velvet interiors is a bit much.

13. I have never seen one this nice, but this really looks like a early 50's Chevy Carryall or Estate Wagon not a Hearse, unless there's a coffin in the back I can't see :eek:

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Back in the 60s hearses were cheap and popular with the surfer crowd for beach trips and at the beach housing.
    Was tempted myself to buy a like-new 1952 Caddy children's hearse, beautiful ice-box white, landau top, white interior, $450... don't get me started. Next temptation was a 37 Chevy hearse project that floated around the Houston area for years and , as far as I know, never got built but had lots of new owners in the 70s-80s.

15. madhman

madhman

Beauties in the eye........

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I would think they would make a cool club car. Party mobile!!! :cool:

17. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Think about it guys.. It's probably the safest car around.

How many people have actually died IN a hearse?

They've probably got a better safety record than Volvo. $16,5 is a steal for the safest car in the world!

Shawn

18. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

I'm all pierced, tattooed head to toe (am a tattoo artist) love rockabilly and psychobilly music, and in no way am I "gothic." however, I do like a cool lookin hearse. Some people just take it too far at times. Oh and no I ain't a Twilight follower. :) I guess what I'm gettin at is you just stereo-typed te people Who love hearse's into one main group. There's more than meets the eye.

19. Enough with the puns....you're Beating a Dead Hearse.

20. toolman1967

toolman1967

Had the same experience but I was expecting mine. I saw an ad for an Auburn Boattail in pieces. I showed it to the wife and she said, "hey, its your dream car, call on it" It was the story of, if you have to ask how much.....

21. Racrdad

Racrdad

X 2 on that. Friggin disgusting!

22. Right You Are.
    I was on a surfer website once and there was a story posted about all the Funeral Homes in California back in the late 50's early 60's that would turn over their Hearse fleets pretty regularly for newer more plush models...there was supposedly whole parking lots in some areas where you could pick & choose a low mileage ride big enough to haul your long boards & also sleep in. No body wanted them..except the surfin' crowd lookin' for affordable transport they could actually live in.

23. 76cam

76cam

I hope he put that extra 0 on there buy mistake!!!!!!!

24. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

HaHa that's awesome! Did u ever go to a steak house for lunch and get it as rare as u could? ;)

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

You obviously didn't notice that I said "over here," (meaning in England) "usually" and perhaps I should have added "in my personal experience". I also have four tattoos, a pompadour and spent 20 years before my accident playing traditional rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, surf and garage guitar all over Europe. I could also dig a good-looking hearse, but all the ones I've come across myself have been decorated and driven by people who fit the type mentioned in my first post. Not trying to start a shit storm, just calling it as I've seen it myself.
    Paul

26. Bigbillyrocka

Bigbillyrocka

No I know you're not trying to start anything. Hence my smiley in my last response. I did notice u said over here. I too have come across some god awful excuses to a custom hearse, filled with fake goth kids etc. Fog machines included. But I still love a good old hearse.

27. dart165

dart165

A little shave here, a little french there, a bit of the ol' drop to the ground...

Who says it can't look classy? ;)
    Persoanlly, I think it'd make a hell of a shop truck/parts hauler.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  28. I don't get it either. People seem to have strong opinions about them. Among folks who own or collect hearses it is pretty common to have people act aggressively towards the owners and even vandalize the vehicle. Apparently, it has to do with fear and some people act out aggressively. An interesting phenomenon to me.

I hate the spiderweb, goth, skull thing. That's just freakin' ridiculous. But, I love the coachwork on a lot of old hearses and most were built on the chassis of the finest automobiles available at the time. I've been on the lookout for a pre-57 hearse for a while. So far I haven't found anything decent that I can afford. We have a family funeral business and it would be my intention to put it back into service as it was originally intended and definitely not as a hot rod or a freak mobile. When I take my last ride I think it would be an honor to be in a fine old hearse.

This Chevy "thing" is a POS abortion. It's probably good for a few parts though, but not much more. As far as the price, if you're going to dream, dream BIG, I guess.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that is totally cool. I would love to have a 1949 Chevrolet hearse. too bad he did the frame swap... wonder what the original frame looked like. I sold some parts to a guy who was re-doing a 51 ambulance... looked just like that one, only a 51.

Hearses and ambulances and just about any coach built car is cool in my book. the whole coffins and cob webs and spiders thing people do who own them is weird, but the cars are cool.

30. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This to me is thing of great beauty. It's what certain types of people would do to it in the name of "cool" or for shock value that bugs the shit out of me.
    Paul

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011