Register now to get rid of these ads!

All wisconsin hamb'ers need to email mark gottlieb, at wisdot.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winged Avenger II, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THIS IS MY SECOND THREAD ON THIS ISSUE, THE 1ST WAS CLOSED BECAUSE SOME OF YOU WHO POSTED GOT INTO A POLTICAL DEBATE ABOUT OUR NEW GOVERNOR. DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST WITH POLITICS, WE NEED IT TO STAY UP TO GET THE WORD OUT. There is a REAL threat to our hobby going on in Wisconsin. New applications for Collector Car, Hobbyist and Relica Car plates, titling and registration is being held up. There is vague interpretation of the Wis. statutes concerning our hobby AND WORD HAS IT THAT CURRENTLY TITLED AND REGISTERED CARS, COULD HAVE THEIR LICENSES PULLED. EVERYONE NEEDS TO FLOOD MARK GOTTLIEB, THE SECRETARY OF WISDOT WITH EMAILS, TELLING HIM HOW WE SEE THAT OUR CARS ARE SAFE, NOT DRIVEN AS MUCH AS DAILY DRIVERS AND THAT WE PUT A LOT OF MONEY INTO THE STATE'S COFFER'S WITH OUR HOBBY. While Trans 123 was waylayed, from all indications there is still a push to impede or destroy our hobby......do not respond to this thread with political rants, we need to keep it open and get the emails going. :mad::mad::mad:

2. BJR

BJR

3. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This goes without saying, but be very polite and respectful in tone in your emails. Anger, accusations, ranting, etc. will harm the cause!

Thanks Mr. Winged Avenger II.

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Email Sent...
    Bob

5. Symco Shakedown....on it's second year......I estimate plugged roughly $1,000,000 into the Wisconsin economy.

Between hotel rooms, approx $80,000 in show revenue, money spent with vendors, gas spent, parts and cars bought to bring to the show, it is easily a million, maybe more. 3800 spectators and about 350 cars, it adds up fast.

Now ad all the other shows that we spend $$ going to and getting ready for.......I guess the state doesn't care about our money?

My email is sent.

6. BJR

BJR

This is VERY important, we want their support and do not want to piss them off.

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ok, sounds like action is required... however, i have NO idea what you're talking about... you say that currently registered "specialty" plated/titled/registered vehicles are in danger. from what? inspections? revocation of registration? proof of component ownership?

boy am i glad i have regular tags on my willys that being the case...

tell me what sort of message i should be sending. what is the substance of my reason to contact him? talking points would be nice... even if a message is polite, well worded and grammatically correct, if it is wandering and has no point other than to flood his inbox with "dont mess with old cars, cause i dont want you too" emails, they'll be disregarded and sent to the shitpile

8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since we don't really know what is in store, my email:

I have been informed that there may be changes to
    the process of procuring and renewing
    Collector, Hobbyist, Replica and other special interest plates.

Is information available regarding any proposed changes?
    I am interested in discovering what may be coming up.

</pre>
    I was thinking an inquiry will hopefully get an answer. If not, then a follow up stating that the current system is efficient and satisfactory will at least let the officials know that the public does not want changes to the present setup.

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats what i needed... many thanks

10. Just spoke with a friend of mine who wants to remain nameless at this point because he has been involved with the prior TRANS123 legislation now tabled. This is what he had to say as a result of recent talks: "State is looking to have any BUILT car comply with ALL Federal safety regulations at time of initial inspection, as if it was a new car"(besides all the other things previously mentioned in my initial thread-post. )Personally, if this is a revenue issue, then perhaps an annual license plate fee might be needed and be done with this, before we have all types of legislated restrictions on our cars and hobby. REMEMBER, NO POLITICS, WAILING ON THE GOVERNOR OR OTHER POLITICIANS-IF YOU WAIL, THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED. GET THE WORD OUT TO YOUR BUDDIES, CAR CLUBS, SHOPS, ETC. THIS ISN'T GOING TO GO AWAY WITHOUT US COMING OUT IN HIGH NUMBERS. JUST AN ADDITIONAL FYI-KNOW OF A GUY WHO RECENTLY TRIED TO GET HIS ROD TITLED AND A PLATE FOR IT(HE JUST BOUGHT IT)-IT'S BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR 4 YEARS, REGISTRATION AND PLATES DENIED.

11. I pointed out in my email that the percentage of cars mechanically unsafe to be in the road is certainly higher in the 1990-2000 model year range than it is in the 1900-1970 range. We all insure and register our cars and don't drive them daily. We also spend millions each year restoring and repairing cars. I'll make the assumption that most people who are driving 1993 vehicles can't afford even insurance let alone fix their cars. I own a repair shop and see it at least a half dozen times a week.

I urged them to protect our privilege to drive historically significant vehicles, that are insured, registered and kept in tip top condition.

12. Thanks for the update.

13. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

That's the way it is here already. You guys are lucky that it hasn't been imposed there yet.
    Keep up the good fight and good luck.

14. big bad john

big bad john

.....My email sent.......will give my other hotrod friends the email address.... keep us posted....John

15. I am currently waiting for my contact in Madison to give me any new information. I will update you as soon as I hear anything.

16. I remember a whole s___tload of people at the time, when TRANS123 was active stating that a lot of us were overreacting to it. Only when LENO put his two cents in, did those guys pony up. Believe me, it is better to be proactive, then be reactive when it is too late to do anything. Word out to everyone you know involved with our Hobby, even your friends, who just like cars.

17. By "built" do you mean kit cars and reproduction cars (like Brookville bodies and the like) or are they looking at "restored" cars and trucks? If it's the latter, it's a death-blow to the hobby if it passes. There is absolutely NO WAY to make an older car/truck comply.

18. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did they give him a reason for denial? I only ask because perhaps this gives us an insight into the DMV plans. I realize his situation may have been dictated more by the individual he was dealing with, rather than policy.

19. At this point myself and two other guys are in the center of the "eye of the storm" with WisDOT and legislative issues.

go to this website and read the article about "anti old vehicle legislation".

http://wisconsinhotrodradio.com/

I have been in contact with WisDOT every other day to schedule a meeting regarding the titleing and licensing problems and how the current problems can be resolved and how to prevent future problems.

As things develop, I will continue to post on the WHRR website, go there for current info.

The HAMB forum does not meet or serve the purpose for legislative battles.

Four issues are at the forefront of the problems;
    1.) the titleing and licensing of non standard vehicles
    2.) the titleing of owner built vehicles
    3.) the licensing of owner built, previously titled vehicle
    4.) the licensing process for the "Hobbyist" license plate.

If, you contact your legislator, WisDOT, DOT Secretary Mark Gottlieb or Governor Walker keep your message brief and on point,

EXAMPLE,
    "the continued operation of my specialty vehicle and my hobby are being threatened by WisDOT's current process for titleing and licensing my type of specialty vehicle.This situation requires looking into. Let me know what you discover" OR SOMETHING SIMILAR.

Long letters, emails may only get a glance and may have little effect.

For those individuals that, want to get more involved contact me by PM and we can co-ordinate efforts.

There are many stories, versions, ideas and rumors about what WisDOT is doing. Second hand, third hand etc, stories can lose factual info.

When, I meet with WisDOT and seperate fact from rumor, I will post more on WHHR website.

We did stop TRANS 123, thanks to everybody. Keep up the good work. More support is needed.

Curt R

20. dorksrock

dorksrock

Thanks for keeping us updated guys. Spread the word and get those letters, calls, and emails out! We cant afford to let all our hard work go to waste!

21. Curt R is right on with his info-stay in touch with HotRod radio.

22. Roupe

Roupe

I wrote this last fall about my experience titling my model a truck as a street modified with hobbyist plates. I don't know if it has gotten any worse since, but I will write my letter to voice my opinion. Thanks for the info and keep us updated.

The Hobbyist plate in Wisconsin isn't as easy as it use to be. About 5 years ago I got a Hobbyist plate for my '32 and titled as a street modified. Sent in the title and money, then waited about 6 weeks for the plates.
    I just did my model A truck this summer, hobbyist plate and street modified title. Sent in the WI title that was already in my name and money in June, 3 to 4 weeks later I get a letter from the state that they need pictures. I called the lady at the state and she is real nice, answers a few questions. They want one pic of the front, back, both sides, engine compartment and interior. So I send in my pics. Another 3 to 4 weeks go by and I get another letter from the state saying I need to have the State Patrol do an inspection. So I make the appointment and get the inspection. The State Patrol officer was real nice, first thing he asks me is where are your fenders and bumpers? I tell him according to state statutes I don't need either because of the age of the vehicle, true. He says he hates doing these inspections because if he has a question and calls the state he doesn't get a straight answer from those FUC%ERS (his exact words). He tells me if everything looks pretty good he will pass the truck. He checked the headlights, taillights, blinkers, high beam indicator, and stop lights. Horn, exhaust, safety glass and serial number. The safety glass wasn't marked so I went to the place that cut the glass, only 2 miles from the inspection site and they wrote me a slip verifying the safety glass. He passes me, cool. Send in my inspection get the title back about 2 weeks later now mark as street modified and the hobbyist plates come about 4 weeks later. This process takes time so plan ahead. If it were me and you want the Hobbyist plates I would get the title in your name with regular plates first so you can drive the vehicle and then apply for Hobbyist plates. Sorry for being so long winded. Maybe this will help someone and they will know what to expect.

23. dorksrock

dorksrock

That sound like a bunch of hoops to jump though Roupe. I wonder what kind of difficulties I will face this summer when I get to registering my '27, because I have no existing title or Vin number because my chassis was built myself, and the body is *shudders* Fiberglass (dont tell anyone okay guys?) This could be an interesting ride. And not in an enjoyable way. Im worried a "historical document" might be the only way to go...

24. For those not familiar with the legislative proceedures... I strongly encourage them to listen to Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio Saturday at 9 a.m. (central time) since most of their information will be relayed from Curt R, a couple of State Representatives as well as SEMA.

Do get involved because when we are represented as a concerned group... we carry a larger voice!

25. BJR

BJR

When you email the Wisc DMV tell them to make the titling and registration easier, not harder for our type of cars. That's what I did.

26. A Boner

A Boner

I think S.E.M.A. is pushing computer controlled fuel injection! I'm not expecting a lot of help from them...... I hope I'm wrong.

27. munciemike

munciemike
    from WI

28. BJR

BJR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.