Register now to get rid of these ads!

Helix IFS kit on E*ay for my 51, Do i do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by visualillusions, Mar 3, 2011.

1. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

No brakes? No rotors? What else is it missing?

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Helix is crap, just say no. And do a search there is thread somewhere with all the scary details of why Helix is crap. And it is after all Hoffman Group stuff.

3. what do u guys suggest? looking for full kit with air and ps

4. badshifter

badshifter

Quality, fit, support, information, peace of mind... To name a few...

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

First thing I would do is read all of ELpolacko's threads on mustang II's. Then you can understand the issues with those that are out there and better make the choice. The last one I did I used a Welder Series crossmember and bought the rest of the parts.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The brakes and rotors are on there, just not listed.

I bought one of their universal crossmembers from Welder Joe on Ebay and it is built like a bridge out of 1/4 inch steel plate. Not the show class nuclear welding you see on some of the high dollar stuff but the one I have looks plenty strong. I also bought the tube A arms and outside of maybe wanting to upgrade on the lower ball joints to Moog units they look ok.

That price in the Ebay add is about 300 less than if you click the boxes on the Helix website but is probably drop shipped directly from them.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

My 53 out handles the skinny tires. And all I have is time and effort invested, the rest was free after a little wheeling and dealing. I used a Jag xj6 that I replaced the bad parts on. Sold the rear end and came out ahead.

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers far longer than the initial sweetness of a cheap price."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

9. f100newb

f100newb

Get a Jag front end. That gives you everything and its cheap.

10. dubcee

dubcee

Cheap = shit i.m.h.o.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think they may be a little wide for the '51 cars.

12. Helix + Hoffman Group = Chinese made stuff.

Save American Hot Rod companies by buying AMERICAN!

Or at least Canadian :)

13. f100newb

f100newb

My bad. Not sure why I thought it said 51 F1. For those it is almost a direct bolt in.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Canadien is American... lol North American. :eek:

But I totally agree...

15. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

TCI for 49 - 54 chevys. We have done prolly 15 in the past 5 years. bolt in lower crossmember weld on spring hats.....pretty good stuff for take it out of the box and put it on. It will lay frame with some slight mods to the upper spring cups (that bolt to the bags) if that's what you are into.

Donny

16. Hoffman stuff is crap. Rolled my eyes when customers brought it in.............we always replaced it with real parts down the road.

17. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I've got the Chassis Engineering crossmember + HEIDTS tubular arms in mine. It fit great, got it all done in a weekend. The quality of the parts was excellent also. Got mine from JPL.

18. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Sorry, I didn't see the powersteering part. But the heidts stuff is great.

19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Jag rack also uses the same pump as a gm so no need for a reducer. Yes, it is wider, but not as bad as a 70s camaro clip. and the dual piston calipers are better.

20. gsport

gsport

i've got the same set-up as David on my 50 and i'm totally happy with it...

21. gsport

gsport

before i bought mine i actually drove up to Portland to check out the Helix set-up.. i had to drive around the block twice just to find the front door. it was on a corner, small, i think my living room is bigger than that place. door was locked, as i was leaving someone walked up and went in (he was on lunch and had a pass code to get in) i followed behind him. they had a few displays up but that was it.. i told him what i was doing and he gave me a few brochures to take home.. i wasn't impressed at all with the place

22. thanks for all your input so far... think im gunna look at what TCI has to offer, would like her to lay frame....

23. Chassis Engieering is a good kit too. With a little problem solving you can get power steering on it.
    On my dad's '51 wagon.

24. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah at LEAST Canadian! A third of Welder Series is American (Dorothy grew up in southern IN :)).

25. jagrod

jagrod
    from Landosnow

I just took delivery of an MII crossmember from Welder Joe's but it has Helix stamped in it. Its made from heavy steel but the welding is so poor I will re-weld most of it before installation. By poor welding I mean the penetration ranges from full to poor along the welds. I thought I was buying locally made when I bought it...but I was sucked in. It will take a lot of work to make it right.

26. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Are you able to post a picture of it?

27. Voh

Voh

28. gsport

gsport

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, Canada's family with America too!

It gets really old bashing ebay with "egay, fleabay,..." If you don't like em, don't use 'em.