Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. brady1929

brady1929

2. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Looks great Nick.The 'tuning fork' is a great idea too.I'd not seen that until you posted it on your previous thread.Made me have one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' moments!

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Lookin good, buddy!

4. Lookin' good Nick, and you are stating true to your Ford roots as well!

5. Yeah dude, that frame is really really nice. That rear setup with those lower brackets for the QE's and shocks....perfect. Should be the new standard.

Do you mind sharding some specifics on the top triangulated links. Length, the angle that they come off the rearend at, and the running angle (front to back)?

I'd love to do that exact setup on my next project....some info would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I'll have to get some measurements and purchase an angle 'gauge' to measure the angles. Andy (cal1954 on here) set everything up and went by dimensions more than angles when setting up the rear suspension. The only thing we used his angle gauge on was setting the pinion angle.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Some work from yesterday and today. I'm enjoying working on the exhaust! Purchased a 2-1/2" kit from Speedway that has bends and straight pipe. Mufflers are the shorter versions of the Flowmaster Hushpower line.

This has also been a good project for me to get used to my new welder. Went with a Miller 211 and I'm VERY happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also went to the Lincoln, NE, swap meet this morning and missed out on this really cool bicycle. Went back to buy it and it was gone. The builder has most of the parts to build another one and we talked about him doing that for me... sounds like it's gonna happen! Very cool guy. He and his dad also have some early '30s Fords, parts, and projects.

[​IMG]

8. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

9. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Like the exhaust. Looks good. Sucks the bike was gone when we went back for it, was still a good day though. Can't believe you got all this work done after the swap. I was wiped out. Gary

10. Great job Nick you have good idea's an it sure is nice to have great friends.Keep us updated.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Oh I was beat after the swap meet, too! Took a couple hour nap then put some time in in the garage...

12. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Looking good Nick, you can see the planning that you put in before the build!

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, guys!....

Did the left side exhaust tonight... Still need to finish welding it.

[​IMG]

bengeltiger likes this.
  14. Skirv

Skirv

Good job. I think you'll be happy with the sound of those mufflers. I use them and they have a nice deep tone.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking awesome Nick.

16. Nick, Iamflashman is Pat's younger brother, Pat is Suede57ford on the HAMB and has the '57 with the Paxton supercharger , Pat lives in Lubbock and Jimmy is in the Austin area. Both cool guys, nice cars !

17. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I remember when my brother-in-law took me with him and my uncle to buy a lot of Model A stuff from his shop a couple years ago. I don't remember if it was from Pat or from one of his buddies, but as soon as we pulled up to the shop and I laid eyes on that Ford, I immediately became glued to the car window until we finally parked and I got out. I was all over that car checking out the details. :D

That car is simply awesome. Your build's coming along just as awesome too! The frame is pretty sexy too. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the body on it. How soon do you expect to be able to test drive it?

18. kisam

kisam

Jeez you are fast! I'm trying to think how long it took me to get to that point. Don't stop now it's looks fantastic Nick!

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The body will get set back on this weekend. I've decided to use a new pair of Brookville doors that a good friend has, since mine need a ton of work. Will get those bolted up, get the body squared up, braced, and secured to the frame. Also need to get the lower quarter and wheel-well patch panels tacked in place. Ideally all of this will be done before next Thursday. If all goes as planned it will be on display at the Omaha World of Wheels, March 18th-20th. We'll see.
    After that, new subrails need to be fabricated and installed, along with the floor, body bracing, seat mounts, etc. Andy and I have a plan in the works to get the subrails and floor done, probably during the month of April.

Hope to have it running towards the end of May.

Thanks, Kathy! Your coupe project is turning out awesome!
    I don't think I'm fast by any means... just plugging away - still a ton of work ahead.

Thanks, Dave! The truck was sold to help fund this project. My daily driver is an '05 Silverado 2wd that needs to be lowered. :)

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Finished up the exhaust last night and tonight and set the body back on....
    Rolled it out to get a few photos -- Another exciting moment!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Lookin good Nick!:cool:

22. I hope that roadster runs as fast as you work. I've got a 2 and 5 year old I can send up for you to babysi...oops I mean visit if you need to slow down at all. Looking great, can't wait to see it live.

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Come on Nick you still got 3 weeks till the Round Up you can make it.
    Looking good.

24. Right On! Looks great. Gonna make SpeedWeek.

25. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Lookin' SWEET!

26. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Looks like it's going fast, just sitting there, nice job!

27. hasty

hasty

Wow, you are on a mission! Looks great.

28. rat seeker

rat seeker

I love it, keep up the good work

29. I can see you now, driving down the road with your long hair blowing in the wind. Looking good Nick.
    Later,
    Dick

30. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

lookin good, damn good. Now test drive?