Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sport Coupe Project for the wife

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Very nice, Just found this one and have subscribed to watch the dash to the finish!

2. lorodz

lorodz

looking good ,.

3. hasty

hasty

Your wife is very fortunate!

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

And very gullible if she thinks Jerry will ever let this car outta his sight !

The car is coming along great & the color combo looks even better in person !

5. 29ToyA

29ToyA

6. its lookin' good! I love model a sport coupes, you don't see them done often. I love the paint combo!

7. wow that car looks nice. you dun good. wasnt sure about the colour combo when you first described it but it looks great on the car. cant wait to see it finished. keep up the good work.

8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

rubbed out and installed the side aprons today

[​IMG]

9. ratster

ratster

looks great! nice build

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

A little more progress....bodywork is in the process on the body shell...paint soon on that....

Got the driveshaft back from Hartman's after getting cut and balanced...sprayed it tonight and put it in..perfect fit. I think I'm going to have to get this thing dirty soon...everything is way to clean ..haha

[​IMG]

Started assembly on my dash..going to use the original guages..got the speedo in and a few knobs that I found at swap meets this past year. Should have the rest of the guages in early this week

[​IMG]

11. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Man she is sweet keep the pics coming

12. what a lucky wife, love the dash....

13. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

Jer,
    When do the side aprons go into production? I want some.......Woody

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Tied up some more loose ends tonight. Had to modify my shifter bracket to beef up things and got that knocked out. I have a set of vice grips holding the top until I get the shift arm back on. I didn't have the right size set screw in the shop.

Got the carbs back on for good now....finally.

Ran into some unexpected problem with my steering hoop coming off the back of the driver side backing plate. Not enough meat was coming through the inside after passing through the spindle and thick wilson welding backing plate inner lip. I'm having the inner lip of the backing plate machined down a little so more threads from the steering hoop come through. Must get a castle nut and cotter pin on those puppies, wasn't letting me as is. Got all my hardware to bolt my hubs onto the Buick drums. Hoping to get the brakes completely done and bled this weekend. We'll see. Bodywork also continues on the main body shell..pics of that soon..

Late night picture tonight before leaving the shop. I can almost hear it growling!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here a shot of the passenger quarter that was patched, cut, shrunk, bashed with a two by four..etc to get it straight. Still lots of blocking to go..but looking real good. My friend Donny is doing the bodywork...this kind of shit is way outta my league. What a night and day difference.

A night of smacking it around with hammer and dollys and skim coat of filler and prime....

[​IMG]

Here's a reminder of what I started with..hahaha. Someone poked the shit out of it with a shovel I think....

[​IMG]

Also got my backing plate machined so the steering rod fits in deeper. Looks good. Putting that on tomorrow...spring is coming

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Lookin' good Jerry! I'll be down on the 18th-19th to give ya somethin to sit on and pick up that toe-stubber!

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Sounds good Andy

18. fatabone

fatabone

It's looking good!

19. Lookin' good. I really like the deck lid!

20. Perfect!

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Some more progress.

Got the front brakes completely done. Installed the Wilson Welding hubs to my redrilled drums. Those hubs fit like a glove on the drums...what a good quality part.

Buddy Palumbo came over and we packed the bearings and bolted everything on the front spindles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did some more tweaking to my tranny shifter and got it working smoother. Tonight, I'm going to pick up some break fluid.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

They look even BETTER in person !

24. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Holy Shit,Jerry---That thing is going to be too pretty to drive---gonna have to park it in the living room!!!:D

25. jerseymike

jerseymike

should've had the cops help while they were there!

26. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

haha ..yeah Johnny Law didn't care too much for Allen draging his shoebox over on a tow strap.

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Ha Ha - Jerry & I were talking about it being TOO nice earlier today

That would've been somethin' else right there - I was just glad when he left & didn't take my cars & money with him , lol !

Yea , no kidding . Makes for memories though ...

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Another good day of progress. It was quite the weekend thrash.

I needed to fab up an E brake mount and I was able to get that done this afternoon. I didn't feel like waiting for one to come in the mail so I just made one. My e brake handle is an old chrome one that I frankenstein'd with the bottom tooth setup of another. A couple new holes and a swipe with the cut off wheel and it was ready to go.

I also finished putting the guages in the dash and adjusted my dash knobs.

[​IMG]

Buddy Palumbo came over again and we got the brakes bled. The bleeder screws were real b**ch to get at on these front finned backing plates, but we got everything bled and working good.

I had to run to the local Auto Zone to order some lug nuts which should in tomorrow. My plan is to get the wheels back on tomorrow and drop the chassis back on the ground, finally.

I need to get some radiator hoses and mount the front parking/turn signal lights and the chassis will be completely finished.

Late night shot before leaving.....getting there

[​IMG]

29. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

great thread, super build. Just started a sports coupe myself. Great work

30. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

back at it again tonight.

Body shell is still in progress..getting there

Lots more hammer and dolly work on the decklid skin and a thin wipe of evercoat. Most of it will end up on the floor when blocking

[​IMG]

The upper part of my windshield frame was all f'd up with holes so I welded them shut
    Once the welds are dressed you'll never know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]