Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Build Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Coolest badge ever

2. slim tempo

slim tempo

I'm enjoying your progress....Always been one of my favorite car/trucks!

Attached Files:

3. Best looking Camino of all of them that GM produced. Slowly collecting parts for mine. Has El Camino rust, like most of them, but not to bad. Not near as bad as many we have seen being repaired. Have just about every thing, headed to Oregon to get another correct 348 for it, already have the 4 speed. Was a factory 3 speed. Enjoy driving it more than my 56 F100 Big Window.

4. I'm 71 and have owned over a dozen 59/60s Caminos and have never seen one either. Still have 3.

5. No more worrying about the dreaded and fatal- "KaBoom" that I've kept in the back of my mind. Even though the window regulator motor was sealed, I've seen the sparks between other armature & brushes, so I ditched that idea. I found some gas support shocks, that'll actuate the t/lite-fuel door. So now to make a latch/actuator situation to catch and release.

[​IMG]

6. That's kinda pricey...

7. Yep, it has the WOW factor alright!

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm,your such a crafty person. Looks like a screen door closer to me with a rod end added :D. Just kidding because that would work in the reverse.

9. It was a matter of life or kaboom.. Had to come up with something! Hahahaha. I'll take motivation, any place I can find it!

It came as a pair, so there's a replacement for later.. That's always nicee!

10. Toner283

Toner283

I would think that for the $$$ they are asking that they could put more than one measly, tiny, hard to see picture in the listing.

I would think about 1/2 that price would be a bit more realistic.

11. They know they're not gonna fly off the self.. So I think the price reflects it. Eff that, I love my dents for them kinda dolla's! Makes me wonder if whoevers making them, didn't get the initial idea from Harrison, here on the HAMB. Never know!

12. More O/T..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got everything cleaned and put back together!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there's any issues with my O/Ts.. stop by, we'll talk about it! I bet it won't be a very long convo, though. Hehe!

13. slammed

slammed

The term 'riding shotgun' is defined here.

14. Almost need it, to drive a '59 in So Cal. I moved the car an uncovered it. Tomorrow I have two small areas, that need rust removed. Not bad for sitting outside in the bare!

15. These are the coolest parts I have in my possesion. Stan Backs, 39 Teardrop, glass t/lite lenses. SCTA prefers plastic lenses.. So, recently Kitch' asked me to round him up some, plastic teardrops, to play nice and comply with the rule book. These things have been on 'Stan Back' for two of the records it held, at El Mirage. I was there(also in the push truck, driven by 'JimSig' here on the HAMB) at Elmo, for my 1st time on 5/17/09, for the 193.9mph record in C ST/R. Sorry for rambling.. just reminiscing since I came across, these again

I forgot about the 210mph record at Bonneville, too. Pretty cool, that these things have traveled over 200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

JJ your dad gave me a set of 39 taillights a long time ago.

17. I wouldn't be surprised, he used to dig up some unbelievable stuff. He networked (for lack of a better word) with a lot of people. Plus he's a people person, unlike me! I'm mean seriously, you could ask him about something, car or part.. an he would have some piece of info, to lead you in the right direction. So, yeah.. that doesn't surprise me!

18. This emblem is gorgeous! Does anyone reproduce it? - JH

[​IMG]

19. Looking through Ecklers catalog, right now. Nothing there, either! Show Cars doesn't carry it an I've been scouring Ondelay Epay-epay, with no luck either. Pomona Swap Meet in April, might unearth something. I'm going for sure. I used to go with my Dad, but that's another story. Always wear your air respirators people. PLEASE!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  20. I blocked the psnger qtr, some more today. I had to reweld and file the old mirror holes, also.

[​IMG]

Had to remove a lil rust & re-metal prep it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MMmmm.. Filler PphhfffPPP!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More tomorrow, with lil fuckin Annie, singing for the sun!

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Annie :eek:, and you know the words to the song as well :D. Guess that makes two of us :confused::eek::eek::D.

22. amazing the things that go through my brain, when I'm left alone! Hahaha

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

Trust me, no one re-pops the emblems or nameplates. I'm also looking for the "air adapter" that fastens to the plenum. It looks like a sideways parking meter.Original's were steel and there were re-pops made of fiberglass. The fellow making re-pops died. I have everything else to make the change.......P.S.JAY, I sent you a PM.... click to enlarge

Attached Files:

24. I enjoy searching for parts.. I met the people who built Snoops mid 70's Cad "Brougham"(Sp?) Green w/ a Wht top. From the the movie 'The Wash'. Anyways, the owner LOVES 59 Chevys. If anybody has the parts or info, I would guess he would. It's name escapes me, it was something like 'C&C Classics', out of Montclair Or Claremont. They built a 60 Impala for a friend of mine. If anybody knows who I'm talking about, please let me know..

25. Knowing the doors have to come off, to be stripped properly, I started on the psngr.
    Of course the bottom wouldn't play nice. I can't believe I broke a craftsman screwdriver.

[​IMG]

Centered the nut and welded it, but nope.. even did it twice!

[​IMG]

Finally..

[​IMG]

I was callin it my safari jeep.. I get bored and need to entertain myself, sorry!

[​IMG]

Easier to just replace it.. but I semi saved it. I got the bolt out, easily after it was out.

[​IMG]

Snatched one out the 57 out back.. love Chevy, they keep shit the same!

[​IMG]

Easy peezzy to get to it on its side!

[​IMG]

I stripped 97% of the front area here.. more tomorrow if the weather allows

[​IMG]

I have to derust and strip the hinges also

[​IMG]

I snapped this pic in the garage after I did the bottom..

Still amazed at the amount of tools it takes!

[​IMG]

26. There's a very few spots that need to be stripped. We'll have another go at it, tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. mid day update.. doors straight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Stripped the door jamb and got a little primer on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much prep work left in the jamb! A little scuffing with a scotch brite pad & we're golden.. well creamy anyways!

29. 521BJXL

521BJXL
    from ak

:p Look good...It was all complete minus the engine. I just didnt have anywhere to store it so i had to pass...