Register now to get rid of these ads!

DesMoines & Iowa Guys you know of Laverty Performance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ-IRON, Mar 3, 2011.

1. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Just wondering if any of you DesMonies or Iowa guys ever had Laverty Performance build your motors? The reason i'm asking is i just bought a 55 Olds 324 motor
    that Larry Laverty built from Gary in Van Cleve, Gary said Larry built some cool motors

Just trying to find out more about the builder what he did and the cars he built motors for
    Gary told me Larry had passed i'm not sure when
    my 324 Olds motor might of been one of the last he built it was in a restored 55 Olds hardtop at Goodguys in 2010

Attached to the motor is a 55 hydramatic built by Knutson Transmission in DesMoines
    this 55 Olds combo is going in my 50 Olds 88 coupe

here's the 324 Olds after it was loaded, picked it up today it also comes with a 4 barrel and manifold which will go on the 324 later
    [​IMG]

not sure if the names are spelled right? but you still recognize them

looking forward to putting in in the coupe when the weather warms up

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Larry was a drag racer and owned a performance parts shop/hardware store in Carlisle, Iowa. My dad grew up with him and my best friend worked for him for 15 years. I spent many days in his shop bothering him, buying paint for bicycles or buying models from his hardware store when i was a kid. He built many engines over the years, I think he was in business for well over 30 years. He passed away around 5 years ago or so.

3. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Gary did say he was a drag racer come to think of it
    Thanks for the information

4. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I spoke with my Buddy and he said he remembers Larry assembling a rocket not too long before he passed. He thinks that Steve Sullivan (Pleasant Hill, Ia) did the machine work on it.

Knutson is a well known trans shop in the area also.

Larry had a 34 ford sedan with a hemi in it in high school, he had a 56 chev with packard taillights in it, many corvetts over the years, he did alot of pilon racing and drag racing with them.

5. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, very well known in central IA at the time. I convinced my Dad to stop by once when we were driving through Carlisle (when I was about 10) just to let me look! There was another well known engine builder, think his first name was Bill, on the East side of Des Moines, on University Avenue, I ended up with a 289 built by him (for someone else) in my 63 Fairlane around 1979 anyone remember his name?

Good find ZZ-IRON!

6. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Bill Tucker's Custom Engines. I forgot all about him.

7. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

How old was Larry when he passed i think Gary said he wasn't that old

well the good now i got the motor off the pick up yesterday and in to the garage
    it was fun rolling it across the ice form one garage to the other where i had a spot for it
    [​IMG]
    one thing i did enjoy in Iowa was the Sunshine and 45 degree weather when i stopped in Story City to gas up and eat

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  8. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I think he was 58 or 59. Not old enough.

9. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

32fenderless, your right that was to young

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Larry was a friend.
    Died May 2005

I miss bench racing with him and just looking at old performance parts.
    Last of the neighborhood performance parts stores. Sux.

Rest in peace Larry and thanks for the memories my friend.

His buildng now is a 24 hour workout place.

11. vd5505

vd5505

Well I believe that i can help you with this engine. The reason being is because I am the one who built that motor. I was on the computer and i typed in Laverty Performance and i found this forum. I worked at Laverty Performance center for 5 years till the morning i got the news about him passing. It was his nephew and I who worked there in the back. I am also the one who worked on that 64 Malibu that was always sitting in the show room floor parked next to his black vette. I infact have pics of myself building that motor somewhere at my house. I will have to dig them up. I know i have about 50 pics of that engine being torn apart and built back up. Along with alot more pics of the builds we did down there and of us racing.

12. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

That's very cool, Thanks to your search for Laverty Performance i can learn more about the 324 Olds :)

13. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

take it you got that engine from gary white when you say gary in van cleave ?

14. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Thanks forgot his name yep Gary White in Van Cleave

15. vd5505

vd5505

I really do miss working at that place and meeting all those people that would come in. I cant think of to many jobs where you get paid to talk up front in a store and test drive and build cars haha. I was back in Carlisle for two weeks this month on leave and i cant believe what that building has turned into haha. We used to build cars now people build bodies haha

16. Was definatly a great place to even just go look around! He was always the place to go when you needed something quickly or small.

Hey VD5505 you wouldn't have any old logo's or anything like that do you. I would like to put it on a shirt. I have the old "Bill Tucker" sticker blown up on shirts.

17. vd5505

vd5505

in fact yes i do. I have THEE last Laverty performance sticker. i took it out of the glass case that was up in the front of the store after he passed. i need to find a place to make more and i would be glad to give you some. i even have some old receipts that have the blue Laverty Performance logo on it that you iron on a T Shirt.

18. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Morgan (Griebe) has the original sign that hung on the south side of the building hanging in his garage.

19. I sent you a message. Hopefully you get this!!

20. whippetdix

whippetdix

To: vd5505
    I bought a 1950 Ford 2 dr with a 402 Chevy Big Block in it and I was told the Motor was built by Larry Laverty. Do you remember any thing about it. I think the number says it's a 1969 396 / 402 ?
    whippetdix

21. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

heads up

vd5505 has not posted on Hamb since 9-29-2011

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  22. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Is this car red with wheel wells cut and has Americans on it? If so I know the builder.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. haychrishay

haychrishay

Somewhere I have footage of Larry autoxing a 68 L88 Automatic Vette with flared fenders and a custom paint job......that was back when we moved all the cars off Karl's lot and had a Corvette club event at the dealership

24. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Speaking of Bill Tucker, does anyone remember anything about an old motorcycle sidecar that he owned in 1977?

25. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

I know this is an old thread but way cool. I just bought a Hodaka motorcycle that was purchased new at Laverty Hardware in May of 1972. Must have been a dealer? 1972 Hodaka Ace 100 with a title. 399 original miles but sat outside for awhile :(. Bike is unmolested and will see the streets again soon. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469452728.210722.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  26. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Cool. My dad bought several bikes from him. Larry's dad built 3 wheelers using hodaka parts around that time too. About 4 years before his passing I bought a NOS engine and forks from him. I still have the engine on the shelf.

27. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

28. ChevyGirl2017

ChevyGirl2017

Hey! Awesome stuff! Larry's nephew and wife still live in Des Moines, his nephew was one of the guys that helped him build a lot of his stuff. He still wrenches every so often. I'll let him know that his uncle's stuff is still in circulation, he loves hearing about some of the cars that went through the shop! :)

29. ChevyGirl2017

ChevyGirl2017

Have you been in contact with his nephew since you left?

30. VD5505 - You still on the HAMB? I now have the 324 Olds mentioned previously in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app