Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can we talk about ipods/stereos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I like tunes in my old cars, but space is limited. I have a 64 belair and the original am radio is dead. I want a "box" that goes in the glove box that I can plug my ipod into, and it will run speakers. I could just get a "stereo" but I don't really need a radio or need a cd player or anything like that. My thinking is that this "box" will be smaller than a normal stereo. Does anyone make this "box" that I want?

2. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

ryan did an awesome tech article on that not long ago , do a search for it , its worth it !

3. 61TBird

61TBird

4. thats exactly what i will be doing...the kids have these little IPOD boxes half the size of a cigarette pack.....thats the way i will be going

5. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

search "Hidden Tunes Via An Ipod"

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

anyone got real world trials and tribulations with this guy? I got someone thats interested in it but I dont want to lead him down a path of pain and agony,, I'm the one that has to deal with the consquences.

7. badshifter

badshifter

Perfect timing. I did a search but got nothing. What about iPad's? Anyone use them to play their music in their car? Gonna have to google that one.

8. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

9. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

10. cretin

cretin

11. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

12. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I bought a KOS-V1000/KOS-L432 to use in my '32. The V1000 (the "brain") is amplifier sized and easy to hide under a seat, it has AM/FM, USB, iPod, video inputs and outputs, can do rear view cams, HD radio, Sirius/XM etc, etc. It went in another vehicle so I just ordered a KOS-A300 to replace it. It's designed as an add on to an existing system, but it will get me exactly what I need. A small, thin display to mount in the header of the '32, input for iPod or USB thumb, HD radio, and a joystick/knob for easy control. I have an iPod that lives on the trans tunnel in my T-Bird and I find myself using forward skip more than any other control. The KOS-A300 knob will do that easily. The only other thing to add is an amplifier like the one Ryan used with remote gain to control volume. It will be a simple, compact system with no need to cut the deuce dash or have a radio hanging under it. The small display mounted in the header will give me track/artist/station/etc info so the iPod or USB drive can stay hidden.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

El polacko Has been using his Ipod plugged into an amp in the green turbo truck for about four or five years now. Listened to it all the way to and back from LARS this year and it sounds great. I know the Ipod has an adapter cable that goes directly into the amp, and there is just speakers beyond that. His ipod has a radio built in, so that function isn't nessesary. He keeps trying to tell me how it all works, but my knowledge of stereo electronics is nill... Thirty seconds on my eyes glaze and I'm gone! Just simply gonna take him with me when I someday get all the stuff to do the Plymouth. Providing I can learn to load stuff onto my I pod...

14. cwayne

cwayne

I had great luck with this one from custom auto sound.. unit under the seat, head unit in glove box, set up for ipod, cd, xm...

Attached Files:

• 511.jpg
      511.jpg
      File size:
      532.7 KB
      Views:
    • 512.jpg
      512.jpg
      File size:
      535 KB
      Views:
    • 513.jpg
      513.jpg
      File size:
      489.6 KB
      Views:
  15. It kind of hit me today - I need an amp, but I wasn't sure if you could plug an ipod into an amp - Thanks for the help. Ryans article is exactly what I want to do. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. big creep

big creep

if you have the dough, its expensive! i think for my shoebox it would be cool to make the original work with an i-pod! or ill just do the the hidden radio in the glove box? http://www.vintagecarradio.com/index.html

17. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

In my T-Bird, I didn't want to take up room in the glove box so I bought a plastic under-dash mounting box to mount the head unit inside. It worked out really well, but is tough to read the display unless you remove the ash tray. That's the main reason for using the KOS-A300 in the '32, a tiny display that will be easy to conceal.

Attached Files:

18. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I'm following Ryans lead with a twist. Instead of buying the separate volume control, I'm running the ipod directly into a Clarion 746 equalizer that has a volume control built in. Benefits of the eq is you can customize the sound settings (rear windows in 51 poncho really deflect sound different that todays cars !!), it has a front to rear fader, and a sub out. Connect this to some amps and away you go. Everything is totally hidden under the seat, speakers are hidden, looks completely stock. Only thing showing is the volume control (removed from Clarion unit) mounted under the lower edge of the dash, and the ipod cable comes up between the seats. When I leave, pull the cable out, tuck it in the seat and we're done !!!

19. :cool::):rolleyes::p:D:eek:

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

21. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

You could also use a Parrot Mki9100 or 9200.
    Bluetooth phone kit, Bluetooth streaming audio, ipod/iphone control and charge, SD card input and control(9200), USB input and control, 1/8" stereo input, 4 channel output with volume control that can drive 4 speakers, built in EQ with many choices, Album art displayed on 9200. It would be ideal in quieter cars without an amp but you could use the low level outputs to drive an amp or use the speaker wire outputs to drive some amps.