Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Be nice to old guys, it might pay off...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Abomb

Abomb

A while back I stopped and helped an older gentleman here in town with a few things in his garage. While I was there, I saw his old dunebuggy, and took an interest in it, and he sent it home with me.....I insisted on paying him for it when I rounded up the spare cash, and today was the day.

After I layed out the bills, and he signed the title, he told me to came back with my trailer. He said he couldn't work in the shop anymore, so he was giving me his welder...He figured I could use it. It's a miller matic 200, and I really can use it, I only have a 110 volt Hobart 140, and I don't like to use it for anything more than body panel stuff....

Also, awhile back, I gave another local guy a little pinstriped panel to hang in his shop, today he gave me an old tool box full of oneshot and brushes.....

The moral is : be a hardcore young hotrodder if you want, but be respectful of your elder car guys, it just might pay off...even if it doesn't, it's the right thing to do.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

True...true ...true...I'm 67...and nowhere near quitting building cars...but I have stuff I don't use anymore and I've been gifting younger friends with that kind of stuff...gotta clean up the stuff I've had for five or ten years and can't use (or simply don't want) anymore and figure a younger guy can get some use out of it...besides, my sister has no idea what I have and it'd all get tossed in the trash...better to get rid of it now so someone younger can get some use out of it...

R-

3. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

And it makes you feel good helping an old guy out..........

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Hey Roger buddy! :D

5. DIRTY_WHITE_BOY

DIRTY_WHITE_BOY
    from Tennessee

It is the right thing to do!! x2

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Sounds like you just "get it". Now stop givin away my secret!!

7. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

always have and always will, just the way i was raised.

8. I was brought up to be nice to your elders, and us kids had a rep for it in my small town.
    Im not in it for what i can get off them, but more for the knolage they have.
    Always seems a shame how much knolage is lost when they are gone.
    'Respect your elders' is a code ive lived by since i was old enough to understand.

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what is right because it's the right thing to do, yep!

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Very cool story Chris. I know what a good guy you are.

11. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

The problem is that I haven't found any young Hamber's who I would give anything to. I know they are out there but maybe I just not ready to start giving things away

12. I've decided to pass along my entire collection of magazines and other memorabilia to a guy about the age of my sons. They're both good young men but have no interest in my hobby, but the guy who will get it all, lives and loves the hobby as much as I do.
    No names to protect the surprise!

13. My rule: Be nice to everyone. Your Karma always come back to you!

14. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

Cars are social. No way around it.

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The quality value of this thread makes you want to kick the fucktard that gave it a one star rating...even the Hamb has assholes....sorry for the rant

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Abomb

Abomb

Well, the fucktard doesn't get my old welder...as the reverse is true, treat someone with disrespect, or just be an asshole....and NO SOUP FOR YOU.

I'm sure it was a disrespectful punk who has never been anything other than an ass to people and is jealous of someone's kindness coming back to them.....

17. It might sound silly, but I wish there was an "Adopt an old Hot Rodder" program. I don't need to get something from it but someone to hang around and tell me "You're doing it wrong."

I may end up retired myself within the year, and I think it would be cool to have someone hang around to give pointers.

18. 35 years ago an 82 year old man taught me how to gas weld without picking up the torch, I will never forget what he gave me.

19. great deal dude! yeah when you screw somebody people will find out and ....

20. Abomb

Abomb

I have met most of my "mentors" just by being a social car guy...if you see a cool car (or old gas pumps, automobilia etc.) sitting outside someones shop, stop and ask about it...there's usually a cool person, and more cool stuff behind the door. If you find a grumpy asshole, it's their loss...

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, no matter what your age and that of the other guy/gal it is better to give or sell your stuff dirt cheap rather than it going into a dumpster or rotting into the ground.

22. i was BSing with a guy in town and i told him about my 37 project and talking about putting 39 hydraulic brakes inthe car and he said " i have a complete set of everything you need"....literally 15 houses away in his attic......he had gathered drums, backing plates, whl cylinders, 2 clutch pedal assemblies, stainless steel lines, rubber hoses, etc etc....he was a mechanical engineer and it was for a woodie project of his some 20 yrs ago. . it was purchased at a fair price and I cant imagine how long it would have taken me to put all that together. the rubber is all shot now but rebuild kits for wheel cylinderes are cheap

23. hemi46

hemi46
    Member Emeritus

A quote I read and always remembered: "When an old person dies, it's like a small library burning". We all have some thing we could pass on, as well as learning something new, no matter our age.

24. bwahahahahahaha i fkn love this place!:D

25. Abomb

Abomb

That's an awesome quote, and very true.....I know a few guys that are more like a large library of all things fabrication, and automotive. I wish I could spend more time around them.

26. You need to come visit again. We shall throw a party in your honor./

27. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

It feels good to give. Thats the human way even if its not the American way.
    I enjoy letting things go where they should be even if compensation isnt involved.

28. Abomb

Abomb

I don't need a party in my honor, but I'd be honored to attend one of those hotrod and harley parties again....that was a blast, and the Lowphat shop tour the next day was icing on the cake....Tell Dave and those guys hello for me when you see them.

29. Fred Kuhn

Fred Kuhn
    from So. Nevada

Awesome thread!! I have my dad living with me for 3 years now (mom passed) he is a old car guy and so are about 10 other old guys in there mid 70's that he hangs out with, so I get to hear all the stories of the cars they had, the cars they wished they had and the same for gals. I also learned a vaulable lesson from this time with them they are a hell of lot smarter than me!! some of the guys are some very talented guys and have seen there fair share of Shit!! and they are the first to give you something if you need it. Thanks for sharing your stories and Like I tell my Childern that old guy you just cut off on the road is the guy that went to war to give you the freedom you enjoy today So be RESPECTFUL!!

30. gsp392

gsp392

I'm nice and respectful to most people anyway. If they happen to give me something, that's a bonus, but I'm not nice with a hidden agenda. I'm happy when people are generous and I think the world would be a better place if everybody would respect each other.