Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. easter

easter

I think I'd sneak in there at night with a few guys and cut those off - or at least beat them over with a sledge. Five Flags in Pensacola didn't have a wall for years - except on the front stretch. At night you couldn't see the edge of the track on the back stretch, so we asked the owners if we could paint a white line down the straight. They said NO!. I guess guys hooking the berm and heading down into the woods and into the creek at the bottom was exciting.

2. easter

easter

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

These pics are beautiful. It must be at the beginning of the season - look how clean and neat everything is. The #85 car looks brand new.

3. TommyA19

TommyA19

Even though there was a guardrail around the track in Danbury, when the midgets raced there, back in the 40's, there was a moat, with water in it, on the other side of that guardrail. Over on the Midget section of H.A.M.B, someone posted a photo of a midget in that moat.
    Reading, with the ironworks on top of the wall was a real hazzard, with many "spikes" sticking up, and they'd act like a meat grinder if you ever got up on them.

4. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Thanks for posting the pics LittleFauss the way they got 'em to the track is almost as good as seeing them getting ready to run. :)
    PK

5. easter

easter

And stationwagons were the hauler of choice.

6. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

I 2nd the way they got them to the track. How about some Watson Dolly trailer shots. ( I would like to build one ).

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No idea what part of the season those were taken, but the background kinda looks like it might be Sacramento which was always late in the season. Most of those dirt champ guys didn't mind throwing whatever $$ at their cars to keep them looking in "showroom" condition year round though.

8. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'OK Rootie, 'As per usual, you are correct, sir. Both Bobby Unser's Weinberger Homes #5 car and Bruce Jacobi's Seidelman & Crews #85 car were actually on the California State Fairgrounds in Sacramento, while Roger McCluskey's G. C. Murphy Special #8 was taken at race headquarters back at the El Dorado Hotel. (The El Dorado is now the Radisson Hotel) All of these cars were there for the USAC National Championship race on October 23rd, 1966. And all photos were taken by my good friend Ron Albright from Sacramento, who used to write for National Speed Sport News.

9. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Sounds alot like a discription of the track at Paragon, Indiana.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Quite a ways west of there in the middle of bumfuck So. Dak. But it was typical of hundreds of those Saturday night 'bullrings' throughout the country back then that didn't aspire to be anymore than a place for the locals to blow off steam on a Saturday night. Rock'em-sock'em to say the least and was one of those places you could really say: "Went to the fights Saturday night and a race broke out" :D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  11. Hey Rootie where exactly is bumfuck, S.Dakota??? I think I live just down the road a piece from there.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nope. The first and most infamous Bumfuck is, of course, in Egypt. Gary

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It's just east of nowhere and due south of desolate but otherwise known as the garden spot of So. Dak........... Pierre.:D

14. jimg12

jimg12

Must be close to Lawrenceburg, In. No wall, just get it back on the tract-right Blacki?. It was a safe race track with a lot of real racing over the years and Blacki was a big part of it.
    Jim Graybeal

15. baldtireman

baldtireman

Dont pick on the Egyptians-They have plenty of problems,thesedays!:)

16. racer5c

racer5c

Watson Dolly For Dave, the car is for everyone else

Click th pic for full size

Attached Files:

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

• gs9a.jpg
      gs9a.jpg
      File size:
      119.7 KB
      Views:
  18. easter

easter

[​IMG]

Rootie - It looks like they even "beefed" up the rear suspension on the wagon.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No doubt, they probably towed about 1/2 a gazillion miles, with that rig, in a season.

Attached Files:

• Foyt.jpg
      Foyt.jpg
      File size:
      61.2 KB
      Views:
  20. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

About 9 miles west of Rapid City on I -90

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Kind of like a friend of mine says about his hometown - just go to the end of the world and take a left.

22. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

On my way to a sprint car race one day somewhere out west, I stopped and asked directions. I was told "Go west till you smell it then go north till your stepping in it" and your there. Denny Z

23. who is other mechanic/crew member on #13951 ??
    mlight9

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Really... ask any military guy... the primary site is in Egypt. In fact, Bumfuck Egypt is now affectionately know throughout the DoD by the acronym BFE. Gary

25. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

This Gary Larson cartoon fits neatly into this thread........

[​IMG]

26. You nailed it. Pierre, South Dakota gives desolate a bad name. I once spent a week one night at the old Oahe Speedway for the 'South Dakota Supermodified Championship'. That was well over 40 years ago and I can still remember feeling like I was surrounded by nothingness. It was 102o and we towed the race car down to one of the boat landings and swam in the Missouri River to cool off.

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yep, that's the joint. And I think they had a rattlesnake for a track mascot.:rolleyes:

28. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Not 100% sure but I think he maybe Frank Catania who was also the refueler. If memory serves me.

29. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hey Speedwrench, 'Go ahead and call George in 'Vegas and ask him if it was Frank?

.....'Rootie, Here's that sprinter that I was referring to that young Bill Vukovich drove for Doug Caruthers. The caption said that it was taken on a day at Dayton in 1968.

note: My apology to the photographer and the person that originally posted this picture of such a beautiful car. 'Don't know who you are?

Attached Files:

30. racer5c

racer5c

Saturday March 12th

Attached Files: