Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

I decided to give up on the whole thing and just watch you build yours....yeah right. She's coming along, slowly but, well, slowly, but I'm still having fun, so it can't be that bad. I'm doing body work now. I've got a Martin hammer and dolly set now and I'm not afraid to use it. Also just learned how to use a dolly and a slap file today, pretty cool stuff that I had never done before. My project pales to yours, but if I get it to run, shine, and roll, I'll be a happy...er man. I probably should update my build post too. I've spent to much time researching stuff on the net to do what a responsible builder should do for fellow hambers. Yours is looking great, keep it up.

2. farmer12

farmer12

This morning I started off with filling the hole of the passenger side rear fender. This all went quickly. The picked up several dollies and hammers and started work on all the lips of the fenders. I've spent most of the day re-shaping them. Some of the lips were torn or bent. The most tricky bit was hammering where the radius was small and the lip was bent inwards. With a lot of patience I managed to get lips back into shape. Tonight I started on the left rear fender, beating out the dents that had been created in the last 70 years.

Attached Files:

3. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear you're still at it Jason. Post more! The hammer and dolly work is quite an art, I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Patience is the key. Good luck with your Plymouth build!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Hammering all day certainly gives you a sore arm! I finished off the left rear as best I could. Mounted it and it actually fits better than before! Then started on the right rear, which was in worse shape. The final hammering of the two panels I'll do with Martin in a week from now. I can tell you that after 5 straight days of body work, I'm glad it's weekend...man, it's tough work.

Attached Files:

5. plmczy

plmczy

Beautiful work. My right rear fender is dented also, right on the edge where it bolts up to the body about taillight high.

6. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks plmczy! One of the areas that still needs attention are the lower corners of trunk, below the tail lights. It appears that this is a problem area for a lot of these Plymouths.

Attached Files:

7. robleticia

robleticia

looking great farmer! As usual!

8. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rob, I'm still following your thread as well, looking good!

9. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

comin along nicely
    good to see you keep workin on it continouisly!!
    never thought about startin youre own shop?

10. wheelnutmarc

wheelnutmarc

Hey mister farmer,you say that youre not in a rush,but you've got a steep pace to keep up with.
    Wish i had the same!!!
    Did you know that there is a simular project ongoing here in the Netherlands,made by Charles Poelmans??for a customer in Zuidholland.:)

Greets from the coast.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks wheelnutmarc. I try to get as much done as possible, but it never seems to go fast enough................

The other Plymouth you are talking about belongs to Jochen from Amsterdam. (thinkfink here on the Hamb). I found out about his car while I was building mine. We are in touch every now and then. He and I met up last year for a beer at my place. Jochen is one great guy and his project is coming along as well.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks DutchDude! Starting my own shop would be a dream come true, but don't think in these economical times it's a wise move. And having a few customers lined up would help too!!!.... Oh well, maybe in the future I'll start something......:rolleyes:

13. art.flame

art.flame

Many of us thought about that ,but i think the main reason this will fail is the lack money and the scene for hot rods is too small ,perhaps one day this will change i hope
    btw your going faaast ,will it run this year?

14. farmer12

farmer12

You're right, maybe it will remain a dream, but it's fun to think about the possibilities though....

The build is moving along, and yes, I hope to have it running this year.

15. 1959apache

1959apache

heck yes they are a huge problem areas! Ill try to scrounge some pictures up of what I had, you will laugh and what you have.

Looking good so far man, keep it up.

16. punkroder

punkroder
    from socal

nice work farmer12. Are you going to use the running boards?

17. punkroder

punkroder
    from socal

nice work farmer12. Are you going to use the running boards?

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks punkroder! The running boards will go back on the car, but I still have to do some metal work and welding on them. They are on my "to do" list for the coming weeks.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Yes! Got back to work on the car again today. Made a plan to work on the body from the rear to the front. I want to get it all done in the next two weeks so I can work on the chassis.

I started this morning drawing cut lines on the rear, the top lines are reference lines. Then got the grinder out and drilled the spot welds. It was no surprise to me what I uncovered: swiss cheese! I was going to replicate the old piece inside but decided to add a few changes for strength. This way I can weld on part of the gutter rail which is rusty as well.

Then it was time to measure, cut and weld a new piece. After slight adjustments I got it to fit perfectly. Tomorrow I'll weld a piece on the right side to act as part of the gutter rail and fabricate the outside piece. Then it's on to the other side......

Attached Files:

20. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job, Eric. Those are fun little pieces to craft. I was happy with the way both of mine turned out.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Rock. This what I really like, measuring and figuring out how to a fabricate a piece better while keeping it as "original" as possible without anyone noticing.....getting back to the garage right now! btw, how's your Plymouth coming along?

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking good Eric! It feels good to see the end in sight for the major metalwork eh!

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks koolkemp!

24. farmer12

farmer12

Welded on the remaining piece of the gutter today. Then fabricated the outer skin, welded it and ground it smooth. Came out looking good. Still need to hammer it slightly though.

Attached Files:

25. farmer12

farmer12

Now the left side is pretty much done, I've started to cut up the right side. This side is in better condition, requiring a smaller insert. Continuing with this tomorrow....

Attached Files:

26. farmer12

farmer12

Changed plans again.....I was going to leave part of the inner structure in place, but just got the grinder out this morning and cut it all out. Fabricated a new piece and welded it in place. Next was the outer skin. Got it all done in about 5 hours, a lot quicker than the other side..... The last pic is a rear shot of the car with both sides done. Another update will follow on monday, it's off to work tomorrow.

Attached Files:

27. plmczy

plmczy

Looking good eric.

28. Elwood331

Elwood331

I just spent 6 hours reading all 43 pages of this thread and I can see your car is going to be badass. As a fellow HEMI MOAPR owner (54 New Yorker) I am loving the attention to detail and time you are putting into making your plymouth amazing.

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the compliments Elwood331. I've learned that you can fabricate anything you basically want, keeping in mind to measure carefully and take your time. I'm trying to pace myself at the moment in order get the metal work done on the body within the coming weeks and round off this part of the build.

To be quite honest, I never expected it would all take this long, but I suppose this has created a renewed respect for the metal fabricators doing this for a living. The hours literally fly by.....

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

The only time I notice that I got something done faster than I thought is when I do the same job on the opposite side ...or redo something completely for the 2nd time :D After the coupe is done you can find a really rusty car to fix ;).