Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rust removal.......the miracle of molasses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Feb 5, 2011.

1. evintho

evintho

Yeah it does work!
    After a couple of weeks in a molasses bath.............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll notice rust on the lower 6" or so. That's because the first time I tried it, my pond liner had a leak and most of the molasses drained out. So, I left it in and it dissolved the rust on the first 6". Got a new liner and flipped the panels over. The rusty part was originally clean but stuck out and was exposed to air. It's only surface rust that'll come off with a light sandblasting (as will the flash rust that begins forming almost immediately).

First run with the doors (notice no harm to original paint, rubber or pot metal).............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built a 4'x4' box out of scrap 2x4's and OSB.............

[​IMG]

Installed a reclaimed pond liner from an old pond in our backyard...............

[​IMG]

Proof positive that an entire '27 Model T roadster will fit in a 4'x4' box..........

[​IMG]

20 gallons of molasses bought at a local feed store for $60 including tax, then mixed with water at a 7:1 ratio - 7 parts water to 1 part molasses............

[​IMG]

Entire car submerged in the brew (until most of it leaked out)!.............

[​IMG]

Replaced the liner, added some more molasses and after a few weeks............wah lah!

[​IMG]

2. MODELA30

MODELA30

Very cool thanks for the ratio info!!!! Knuck from indiana.

3. budd

budd

thanks, around here i see alot of free hot tubs on craigslist, heat and a circulating pump.

4. modeleh

modeleh

5. WOW! I am impressed - looks great!

6. 117harv

117harv

Yes, great idea making the box, thanks for posting. Thats much easier than digging a hole in the back yard. I have heard from severall people that heating up the solution to say 80 or 90 degrees speeds up the process 10 fold.

7. Zombie Duck

Zombie Duck

I'll have to try that on my T body, thanks for the info!

8. havi

havi

Nice! I've done vinegar for smaller stuff, and this Summer I'll be doing big stuff in molasses. (Wanted to do it this Winter, but felt the water mix would freeze) It's great to see another success story. Deer around here smell that molasses and they come double-quick. So if there's animals in the area, make sure they can't get to it.

9. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

wow thats impressive, i didnt know you could use molasses. Im going to have to give that a shot sometime, thanks for the post!

10. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Great job. I used it to clean up some bolts and tools a while back after hearing about. Reall works well.

11. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

It;s just like extra strong sugar soap.iT EATS SOME THINGS THOUGH ;I did some bike chains I probably left em in too long[months] all i found was a bunch of little figure eights in the bottom of the tub the rest was gone really stinks too .dont think you could do it in a residential area.we also used it to free a stuck flathead. taking the part out every day or two and washing the black stuff off speeds the process too.totally safe to use too GOOD SHIT

12. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

de grease first otherwise it weakens the mixture

13. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

For small parts a "crock pot" used one is fine, would not recommend using for food after using it for molasses. Small stuff is much easier to find in the crock pot that bottom of the barrel....tt

14. Remember the kids science project with the metal left in a glass of Coke, I guess it's the same principal, with a diluted mixture.

Sweet solution to a rusty problem!...oh I'm killing it here...thanks very much folks, I'll be here all week, try the prime rib and dont forget to tip you waitress...

www.highspeddmotorsports.com

15. Duce of Diamonds

Duce of Diamonds
    from NW IOWA

what is the mixture??????????

16. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

thats crazy neat! never heard of it before, i love this place!!

17. Hellbomb

Hellbomb
    from DC

How does the car taste?

18. hellsgaterods

hellsgaterods

started my own molasses experiment this past weekend, ill let you know how it turns out.

19. shainerman

shainerman

I laughed out loud about this for some reason. Thanks, haha

20. Yeah....molasses is nice...but I'd rather soak it in cider:D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  21. squirrel

squirrel

sweet!!!

22. HA I am building a 'tank' today to soak my parts in.

23. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Called my local farm supply and he has feed grade molasses in 20Ltr pails for 12.50, less when paying cash.

24. Incredible results!

25. chopped

chopped

Anyone know if you can use powered and make regular molasses from it. I know a guy with a bunch of dry.

26. I know a guy that soaks complete flatheads that are stuck. Works great. Just don't use it to make cookies later

27. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Will it break down oil and grease, or just rust?

28. 117harv

117harv

No oil, grease or paint, however some paint may come off if the bond is bad and there is rust under it.

29. Cheers for all the info,will try it soon on my RPU's bed.JW[​IMG]

30. A Boner

A Boner

Do the parts need to be rinsed to neutralize the mixture? Does it leach out from double layer panels at a later date......can it screw up a paint job?