Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headed to the San Francisco/Sacremento area next week - anything to see?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by todd_a, Feb 26, 2011.

1. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I'm going to be in Fairfield, CA for a training class for work next week which is about 30-45 minutes from San Francisco, and about the same distance the other direction to Sacremento. Arriving around noon on Sunday (2/26) into the Sacremento airport and leaving about noon on the following Saturday.

Are there any shops to see, hangouts to check out, activities to do, cool cars in the area, cruise nights to go to, etc..., that I should try to go see while I'm there?

Thanks!

Todd

2. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

bud plant in fairfield... good tour...free beer!

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sacramento Vintage Ford has a great display of old stuff. Old hot rods, a '50s diner, Von Franko's Kookie Kar Klone is usually there.

4. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

5. milo1957

milo1957
    from modesto ca

I didnt even ask the question.... but thanks...Im gonna check that out!

6. sdluck

sdluck

I have never been there, but heard it is pretty cool .Vern Tardel Parts and Repair, 464 Pleasent Ave., Santa Rosa, Ca. 95403.

7. Hit up Trader Vics in Emeryville for some killer food, Drinks and Tiki overload, Sac Vintage Ford, Sacremento Kustoms, Cruise down to San Jose and hit up Gambinos, after that cruise over the big hill to watch the sun set over Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz.
    Oh BTW do you need a tour guide?

8. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Awesome! Looks like there are a few places I can hit for sure so far. Keep 'em coming.
    Yeah, I could probably use a tour guide. lol

Thanks guys!

9. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

What kind of work do you do if you dont mind me askin?I ask because I have alot of customers through the fairfield area and maybe You work for one of them?

10. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Vintage ford is worth the visit! Our shop is just over in American Canyon (about 20 min from Fairfield).

11. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I'm in Napa, about 20 min from Fairfield, and spent the summer in Rio Vista building 350 ft tall windmills. I'm also starting some schooling in Sac on Monday, and will be coming back through Fairfield every evening through Friday, probably around 6- get out of class in Sac about 4:30, and it's out close to Vintage Ford- not sure how late they're open. If you like old, big iron, the Heidrick Ag and Hays Truck museums are just west of the Sac airport off I-5 in Woodland, and the Cal car museum is just east, under the freeway and on the same street that takes you into Old Sacramento with lots of old shops, a paddlewheeler on the river and a train museum- I was at all three last week. I was at Sac Vintage Ford a couple months ago, and the Kookie car was there then.
    Travis AFB is in Fairfield, don't know if you can get in to the air museum since they tightened up access after 9/11.
    It's about an hour into SF from Fairfield, opposite the commute most of the way in the evening, and Fisherman's Wharf/ Pier 39 area is close to the Bay Bridge when you get there. Too bad you don't have a weekend, the ferry to Alcatraz is always good

12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, Robbie has a nice shop- Robbie, I used to run around with your folks way back when they were driving the California Special every day, and I was driving my maroon '69 Mach1, mid-'70's, saw your dad a while back, and talked to Willie a few months ago. I'll be at Hwy 29 Cafe for harassment from the waitresses in about an hour- I think you know where that is LOL

Probably be in this critter

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  13. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Looks like you've already got a full dance card with all the suggestions. Here's my 2 cents: With the limited time you have, Sacramento has more easily accessible automotive activity, and is easier to get around if you're not familiar with the area.

That said, in South San Francisco, Brizio Street Rods has a great shop, and they don't mind visitors coming in to the shop area for a look around. Sanderson Headers is pretty much right next door, so if you get that close, you oughta pop in there. In Sacramento, Vintage Ford is a definite must-see, but while you're there, check out American Pastimes (hot rod hardware), Tognotti's Speed Shop, and So Cal Speed. Still got time? Check out the California State Auto museum or the Ca State Railroad Museum, both in Old Sacramento.

Vern Tardel's place is neat, for sure, but it's about a 1 1/2 hour drive in the opposite direction of Sacramento. With one week to spend and classes to take in, you're gonna be busy. Have fun!

14. The Blackhawk Museum in Danville is amazing.

Arlen Ness Custom Motorcycles is in Dublin, right next door is a Hot Rod/Muscle Car showroom

Brizio's is 3 mins from SFO, ask Dave at the counter & you can usually wander round the shop

If you go to the Bud factory in Fairfield, its closed Mondays...there's also the Jelly Belly Jelly bean factory tour across the road

15. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I do electronics systems sales and support and Photography, but I will be doing a class on Nurse Call systems for hospitals at the West-Com main location there in Fairfield. They are located ajacent to the Jelly Bally factory. Are you familiar with them?

16. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Are you ever there into the evening? I may try and swing by and say hi. If so, shoot me some directions/ phone number or something. :)

17. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Yeah, I wish I had more time. It is the first time I have been up this far in CA. It was a last minute decision for them to send me to the class right now, so planning sucked and I didn't get any say-so on the flight schedule and times, I was just handed the info and told to go.

I got your PM and I will give you a call here in a little bit when things settle down. I am still running around getting things ready and packing and I just notived that it is going to be down in the 40's every evening after 5PM so I need to throw some short sleve stuff out and find some warmer stuff to pack now. lol

18. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

I plan to get to San Francisco one evening to at least see the GG Bridge and a fwe other things. Might be able to get there on Sunday afternoon, but if there are museums open on sunday I might be better off heading toward them if the close at 5 on the weekdays. I guess I will have a few hours on the flight to try and figure out a plan.

From all there is to do there, I really do wish I had more time. If things work out, I might look at heading back for some vacation time there in the future.

19. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

My class is right next to the Jelly Belly factory.

I'l have to also look into Arlen ness and Brizio's too.

20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Todd, the truck & tractor museums in Woodland would be easiest on Sunday, they're only about 10 min from the airport, take about 2 hrs to go through and close at 4, and are on your way to Fairfield- north on I-5, get off at Road 102, straight across at the light to 1962 Hays Lane, on your left. If you go that way, there's a great old-style steak house in the first town west on I-80, Dixon, called Cattlemen's- you'll see the sign. There's also a whole nest of restaurants right by the mall in Fairfield, Chevy's, Red Lobster, etc., just a couple miles from Jelly Belly
    You'll love the Sac airport, the EASIEST to get in and out of. Cal Auto Museum is the other direction, south on I-5, right by the intersection of 5 & Hwy 50, open til 6, and good restaurants up the street in Old Sacramento

21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

+ there will be a swap meet going on there next Sunday March 6th.

22. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, gonna try and bring a truck 'n trailer load- got some toploaders, 427 FE stuff, slicks, intakes, VC's, A & B stuff...

23. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

No, but I do know where they are located,I have a few customers in that industrial area. If you come to the woodland area and hit up the ag museum its worth the look see, It is small but there is some neat stuff inside. And the cal auto museum in sac is even better.Too bad you wernt at one of my customers I could have came by (easier) and said hey and met another HAMBER. Either way My garage is always open if you head this way.

24. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

"Ditto":D on all the above

25. thanks for the useful tips ill be heading up to Sac. soon

26. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Man, small world out there! I definitely know about HWY 29 Cafe, great food and plenty of it!

Swing by the shop sometime, you're more then welcome!

27. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I'm here until at least 6 every day. If you're going to mapquest it, it's 5757 Broadway St, American Canyon, CA 94503. We're right along HWY 29 that runs parallel to HWY 80. The shop number is 707-224-4011. I can stay later on tuesdays and thursdays, just give me a call!

28. NORTH30FORD

NORTH30FORD

Hey, Robbie. I'm heading to Napa for a wedding the beginning of April. Mind if I stop in and say hi? Anything else going on that weekend?

Peter

29. NORTH30FORD

NORTH30FORD

Robbie, just blew by your place. In the corner of me eye I saw a bitch'n 60-something burb loaded on a trailer out front!
    Nice!

Peter