Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by partsman, Oct 3, 2010.

1. partsman

partsman

here are a couple of photos of my 1940 plymouth project, it hadn't ran in several years. I am thinking of doing a staight axle kit, I need to do a brake upgrade anyway. I am looking for opinions on a direction of build. Any how let me know what you think. I value the feedback from the guys on the hamb.

Attached Files:

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Several disc brake conversions are available for that car, but a straight axle conversion would be cool as well. Guess you have to decide which way to go with your car.
    Personally, I'd rather have a nice driver, slightly lowered with disc brakes. But my current build has a Dakota frame and will be a street version of a mid 60s dirt track race car (slightly lowered with disc brakes).
    Guess I drove too many old trucks with the straight axle to want to put one under a car that already has independent suspension. You know what they say about opinions? Gene

3. Here's a site for a guy who makes a disc brake conversion kit for the old dodge & plymouths.

http://www.rustyhope.com/

Rockable recently did the conversion on his old plymouth and said it was a pretty simple job.

4. pseudo121

pseudo121

what year dakota frame are you on?? does a 40 plymouth coupe fit nicely on a dokota frame??

5. farmer12

farmer12

These are great cars to work. Apart from the brakes that you want to do, it all really depends on which direction you want to go. There are lots of options including chopping, v8, etc. Usually the limiting factors are time, money and ability. Let us know what you decide and good luck!

6. sololobo

sololobo

I would think it would be how much you drive it. A lot of miles in a straight axle car is not as much pleasure as an independant system. Plus I love these little deco babies stock looking or mild custom T.D.'s. Cool coupe man! Just my 2 cents. ~sololobo~

7. pseudo121

pseudo121

Well the one I just picked up has a 70's nova clip. But I was just wondering if the 40 coupe body fit right onto a Dakota rolling frame. That was a thought in my mind. But I'll prob just stick with my nova clip

8. pseudo121

pseudo121

what Reat End fits good on the stock frame??

9. 4woody

4woody

Lots to choose from. I used a Ford 8" out of a late 80's Granada on my '38. Just move the spring perches. Right width and bolt pattern, and easy to put discs on if you swing that way.

10. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

yeah go for the gasser look

11. exterminator

exterminator

Duster rearend.

12. Make it a custom...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a 88 Dakota rear but if I was doing it again, I'd probably use a Ford Explorer rear. They are cheaper, easier to find and have disc brakes. Check out my build thread to see what you are getting into. Good luck!

14. pseudo121

pseudo121

Ok I will look. Thanks

15. pseudo121

pseudo121

Oh what year explore?

16. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

Just measure from outside drum to outside drum of your stock rearend & call a local wrecking yard with your measurements & they should be able to find you one. Thats what we did with my 40 Ply Coupe. I don't remember what they said it was out of cause that was a while ago. Anyway heres a pic.

Attached Files:

17. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. farmer12

farmer12

Just curious, any updates?

19. partsman

partsman

Update on Plymouth, I have not done much. I stopped to thrash to get dragster ready for the HAMB drags. Had a blast made the 700 mile round trip pulling with the wagon. Now that is done I have been helping a buddy with his Fairlane. He is active duty Air Force and is overseas during the holidays, that is my way of saying thank you to him. I decide to suprise him and finish the paint on his car for him. That way it will be road ready when he gets back. I have picked up and explorer rear for the car. Found front cross member is in bad shape. Does anyone have a front crossmember or know what interchanges. I thought about subframing the car but nothing seems to be the right width. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to get back on car I just dont know what to do.

20. Dickj42

Dickj42
    from East Texas

About a year ago I found a thread from somebody who adapted Ford Explorer rear discs to the front of his Mopar (1940?). I have spent the last hundred hours trying to find it again. Does anybody have the link to that conversion?
    DJ

21. desertdroog

desertdroog