Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transmission Swap For 1954 Cadillac 331

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deville1904, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Deville1904

Deville1904

So I have weighed out my options and have opted to just swap out the transmission for something else adaptable to my 1954 331. I was quoted 3200.00 for an overhaul of my orginal hydramatic. Not doing that. So I turn to you folks here for some insight on how to go about this swap. What is available as far as adapters and transmissions for the 331 engine?

2. richie rebel

richie rebel

they have adapters for a number of trannies,what kind of trans do you want to run????

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I say you put a 700r4 in it. overdrive, plenty available. I think your gunna have almost the same money in it tho, once you buy the adapter and the little shit. Then you have to buy the transmission and install. But i think it would be better then a rebuild.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

hell maybe not, theres a couple on cr@$%^ist for 200 and one for 500.

5. Deville1904

Deville1904

Are they local sellers? =)

6. Deville1904

Deville1904

Yes they are. Just searched them. One of them even has a warranty on it. 499 is not bad. Can I keep the tranny at your place James? ^_^

7. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

That price is ridiculous! You should be able to rebuild that hydro for half that and it should cost far less than adapting a 700r4, not sure where you're located but there is two shops in the Los Angeles area that can handle a hydro... but then again overdrive is nice to have.

8. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

I am in need of a 1954 cadillac bellhousing for a hydro. This bellhousing is only for the 54 cadillac and mine is broken. let me know if yours comes available? Thanks

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Wilcap has the adapter for $521 but you have to run a mopar mini starter which they sell so its About $700 for both then you have to buy the tranny.What would labor cost for the install..any ideas?

10. Abomination

Abomination

This manual might help you rebuild your own. It's easier than you think. ;)
    http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/49-50LincolnHydramatic/index.html

Besides, what are you going to do? Break it more?

Pull it open and don't lose any parts. After a while, you'll realize "Holy crap - all I have to do is put this back together with X, Y, Z parts replaced and it's DONE?". Then order the kit and you're on your way!

11. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

yah you can store it at my place

12. Deville1904

Deville1904

I really wouldnt mind just having the stock tranny rebuilt. Valley transmission in el cajon wants 3200 and I havent gone anywhere else yet for an estimate. Ultimately I am trying to save money so that I can fix other things on the car that still need attention.
    I thought about having a go at it myself with the guys in the car club. That would save me a ton on labor and it would be a great experience for myself.

13. Deville1904

Deville1904

I am taking it to aamco on monday morning. Guess they work on later model transmissions as well ^_^

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm full of doubt anyone at an AAmco station will even know what a dual range hydra- matic is, let alone be willing to bother with a source for parts!

Torus cover gaskets & 'O' rings, servos, bands & clutches...All unique to the Hydra-Matic.

Last time I asked about similar parts (PDQ, the Calif outlet for auto trans parts) the parts man wished me luck.

Valley Tranny for $3200 is probably pricing themselves above the desire to do the job; But, they MAY have a parts source available, and if you step up they may have an associate they can call in to perform the task. (many shops have retired personnel they hire for special jobs...Not an impossible job, but not as simple as 904 & 727 MoPar.
    An experienced tranny man can do it, {with a book} but there are some special tools hardly seen any more. The 'semi-retired guy' I speak of still has his tools.)
    Look around some more. You may come across an independant tranny shop that is owned by the original operator.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Deville1904

Deville1904

The parts arent hard to come by. Caddydaddy.com has a rebuild kit for it. Valley transmission is just overpriced. The guy I spoke with there said that they have done plenty of caddys in the past among other hot rods, classics, and muscle cars.

Im just going to keep looking around and getting free diagnostics around town. Somethings going to have to turn up.

16. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

You best bet is to get another transmission with an adaptor. Its way cheaper then fixing the hydromatic. Even though I really like it, I don't think its worth spending all your money to rebuild.

17. 73RR

73RR

18. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

My brothers friend had a 57 Caddy and AAMCO did a decent job. I give them a try and see. I forgot about them.

19. unrulyprocuda

unrulyprocuda

I just bought the Adapter for my 331 caddy to 700r4 swap and my transmission guy says that everything should be fine with it 1,500 dollars to supply the trans and install plus the Adapter and starter he says the only worry is the lockup in the transmission and that he can run a brake pedal switch to make it work has any others on here done this swap with success and figured out how to alleviate that issue i would love to hear how it was done and does it work great. i really would like to drive the car more and have the overdrive. Thanks

20. omarine

omarine

So did anyone do the 700r4 swap? Im thinking about it on my 52. What about the pattern at the steering column? I guess just don't think about it?

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As has been said, the old hydros were a special breed. As an old transmission rebuilder I won’t touch one. There are special tools needed that aren’t available anymore, rebuild kits can still be had, at what price I don’t know. I would buy the adapter needed and install an overdrive.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You can get a lockup kit for 700R4 that works off of line pressure. It's a whopping $70.

23. I bet AAMCO would take one look and send it out for an exchange on a rebuilt transmission. No problem.

Charlie Stephens

24. A couple of guys are suggesting an automatic with overdrive. Your rear end is probably VERY high and you would want to replace that next to use the overdrive feature. You might want to nose around a little, there was one year transmission that was a dog but I think it was '56.

Charlie Stephens

25. Early Hydro's are just not that hard to rebuild... I've done a few over the years without any issues. Parts are still available from Fatsco.

26. BigJim394

BigJim394

There are a few multi part YouTube videos on hydramatics (how to rebuild and how all internal parts work).
    Search hydramatic on YouTube.

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What would labor cost for the install..any ideas?[/QUOTE]
    Labor ... that would be free. You do things like this yourself. Now about that linkage, driveshaft, speedo connect, etc.etc.etc...

28. omarine

omarine

My axle in the 52 coupe de ville is 3.07. That makes final drive with a 700r4 2.15. Sounds tall but im no expert.
    With that set up maybe leave the torque converter out of it? (6 volt).

would that be ok?
    Leaning towards 700r4 now but still need crossmember.