Register now to get rid of these ads!

four link bagged rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bileshake, Feb 24, 2011.

1. bileshake

bileshake

I'm setting up a 31 model a with a ford 9 inch rear mounted with a four link. Is there any negative side effects to just running air bags and a panhard bar? Seems way easier than messing with coilovers.

2. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

You will need some sort of shocks, I prefer oil shocks, I like the feel that they give. Elpolacko on here recommended (at least I think he did) bilstein shocks. Coilovers are not necessary as as the air bags act as the spring.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depending on your body style, in relation to the width of the chosen axle, and whether or not you are running fenders, the panhard bar can pose an issue.

In any case you want a panhard bar that is as long as possible. One that runs from the frame rail to the pinion support, in my opinion, is not long enough. It should be at least the width of the frame, give or take.

That said, when a panhard bar equipped suspension system goes up and down, the bar causes the axle to move from side-to-side. This can cause the tires to come into contact with the body or fenders. The shorter the bar is, the more the side-to-side movement will be.

Run a long bar, and measure carefully. After that, it all will work fine.

Shocks are mandatory. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They are trying to kill you with ignorance.

4. Triangulated four link takes care of the need for a panhard bar. But then you have the upper links that can get in the way. I also agree to use shocks with airbags.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course, and a Watts-Link would too.

6. cain

cain
    from riverside

always use shoks with air ride! use a longer panhard and get less side/side travel, 1/2/"maybe. we sell a 2 link system set up for bags,shoks,coilovers and shokwaves.take a look www.jimenezbroscutoms.com call if any questions

7. A lot of guys run coil overs but they never get the spring rate correct because it is a pita for most. With bags you have an infinately adjustable spring rate.

That is the only pro I can think of. We set one up that way back in the '90s and were able to use the air pressure to make it squat exactly right at the track and still be real drivable on the street.

Even if you are using coil overs you need a pan hard bar BTW.

8. bileshake

bileshake

Thanks for the info guys, cain the link doesn't work. I'm more or less trying to avoid the PITA and $$$ over adjustable coilovers. The front is gonna be a fixed height so I'm not planning on raising or lowering the car just setting the ride height.