Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects east coast rust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommyganly, Feb 24, 2011.

1. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to fix the rusted out front door jams of my 51 merc? It is rusted out from the bottom of the box tubing to the bottom hinge. I'm not a super welder or body man. i just want it fixed not looking for a super perfect spectacular job.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

i just want it fixed not looking for a super perfect spectacular job.

I was going to come by and fix it for free, but all I do is super pefect spectacular work. I do know a guy who could do a shitty job, grossly overcharge you and probably straight up ruin your car, if not outright steal it from you... would you like his number?

3. sounds like a good project to learn on. post pictures we'll talk you through it.

4. pitman

pitman

Try a search on this, and see what is posted.

5. borntowrench

borntowrench

There is a guy on Rt.113 N, about a half mile north of the Bridgeville bypass light that does custom car stuff like this. I can't remember his name but I know his house, he does good work tho.......

6. 76cam

76cam

Let's see cut off wheel.sawsall,or something to cut metal.A mig welder oh and some sheet metal and a pice of box tubing. Cut and replace as needed.Take your time YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

7. It's not rocket surgery, if I can do it you can do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. delaware1930

delaware1930
    from Delaware

were doing on in the shop right know if you want to stop by and get a look. Were out side of Bridgeville on 404 my boss said know problem if you want to get some tips. 302 349 4200

9. delaware1930

delaware1930
    from Delaware

Heres some pics

Attached Files:

10. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

As the car above points out, if you are getting rot in the lower hinge area, you are almost guaranteed to need inner rockers etc, which is the main structure on these cars. Although I understand you are looking at some of the cars done here and do not need metal finish quality work on something you will only see when you open your door and stare at it, if the car has rot there, it is destined to have it in spots that will compromise the structure.

11. Projectile Heineken out both nostrills all over the keyboard.....................

12. tinmann

tinmann

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".

Get handy!!!!

13. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Heres the front pillar replacement I did on my truck. I am a raw amatuer at metal work, this is teh first major project I've done, but it was pretty easy. I cut out the rotten part, thought about what shape in needed to be, and used a piece of sheetmetal from the hardware store. I made a cardboard model first, then transferered that to the steel, then cut and bent it. Once I was happy with the fit, I welded it in. Done and done.

If you aren't able to weld it, you can at least form it and ask a friend to help you out or something. Or get a welder and learn to use it, its tricky but satisfying and if you are gonna finish a car with taht kind of rust tehr eis gonna be a lot of welding!

Anyway, heres the pictures.

<p>
    [​IMG]

<p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]

14. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

15. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

I'm in the same boat, I've made a ton of patch pieces for this truck now, but I'd never made anything like that before I started this project. The main thing is just getting past the fact that you are making parts...It sounds more intimidating than it is!

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

And if you're hung like a horse handy and handsome don't matter a damn.

17. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

I really appreciate the help. I was also worried about the strength with the door and all also. I will get it. When I was single I would have just taken it to the body shop and said fix it. With a family (4 kids) that is not an option. So i'm learning as I go.

18. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Yep, I hear that! If I had to send it out, theres no way I could afford to build my truck. Luckily I am satisfied with at least making it functional, I would go nuts if I was trying to get a full concourse restoration out of her! Good thing my son and I both think old cars look a little cooler when they're a little rough and you can see the guy did it himself....