Register now to get rid of these ads!

relocating to tx possibly..questions for tx hambers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Feb 24, 2011.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I know this has nothing to do with hot rods...etc....but there are a lot of HAMBERs from Texas on here. I may be taking a job with Schlumberger (pronounced Schlumber-jaay..or something like that). Here are a few questions for you texas folks

Anyone work with or know anyone that works with this company?

Hows the traditional scene in Dallas (guessing better than Fayetteville/ Fort Bragg NC)?

2. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Come on down you'll love it here. Plenty to do in the DFW with lots of great shops holed up throughout. Pistons and Paint is the second best show in Texas and a short drive down to Austin will yeld you the best car show in the world...

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man not to offend you but anywhere is better then Fayettville!!! Move and don't look back. Texas seemed like a pretty cool place with a lot to offer in terms of Hot Rods and customs.

4. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Schlumberger? Coming down to work on a rig? My brother works for them, and I've had a couple of friends work for them. I don't know enough to form a real opinion, but one of my friends had his leg broken on one of their jobsites and has been fighting for compensation for over 3 years now.
    Depends on where you're moving to really. DFW is all the way across the board really. There is alot of old tin that is daily driven around here, and the cops don't tend to mind. I'm not really a scenster, but there are a lot of good shows, and yeah P&P is awesome. Something that I think gets understated alot on these boards is that Texas is still full of vintage tin. you've just gotta look for it. Lots of potential projects, and lots of parts cars is good shape.

5. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Also.....what about titling a '29 model a. Is Texas pretty anal like NC....I have a NC VIN....wonder if that will be a issue.

6. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I'll either be working at the facility doing hydraulics work or a field supervisor.....shooting for supervisor. Depends on what they have to offer....especially in $$$ since Dallas is higher in terms of cost of living

7. RAY With

RAY With

I have never had a title problem and bought cars from all over. Getting a person at the title office thats good has a lot to do with it also. I suggest you go with Antique plates and they are cheap and you dont have to have the car state inspection sticker Over all its no problem and you will like Texas

8. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Yeah, it's not THAT hard. You can do a bonded title pretty easy in Texas, and there are a few other ways I've heard too, but never had to try. The antique plates are what I meant by the cops not hassling you. I've run antique plates on all 3 of my old rides, driven them daily and never had a problem.

Cool, but where are you planning on moving to? Dallas can be high, or cheap. Rent prices suck in DFW as a whole. I moved up here from the sticks, and damn....Deals can be found though. I live on the edge of Dallas/Grand Prarie, right down the road from the Yellow Belly Dragstrip, in a huge house with a two car garage for less than I was paying for my apartment in Lewisville.

9. dean dephillips

dean dephillips
    from Dallas, TX

I moved to Dallas exactly a year ago from Charlotte, NC. and I love it here. You are going to find there is a lot more to do....but, it is a bit more expensive. I live in downtown Dallas and I was shocked at the rent prices compared to Charlotte. You get what you pay for though...so come on down!

10. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Cool, but where are you planning on moving to? Dallas can be high, or cheap. Rent prices suck in DFW as a whole. I moved up here from the sticks, and damn....Deals can be found though. I live on the edge of Dallas/Grand Prarie, right down the road from the Yellow Belly Dragstrip, in a huge house with a two car garage for less than I was paying for my apartment in Lewisville.[/QUOTE]

Im not familiar at all with the area....but If I do this....Im gonna need a place with garage. I would rather be on the outskirts a bit.

I dont like asking people info like this....roughly what are ya paying for the house and two car garage? Im in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage right now....as long as I got a 2 car or equivalent....life is good...or im gonna have a pile of parts and tools stacked on each other

11. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Ive been sitting here and debating this....there is still a long process to go through. Google can give me generic answers.....but the real answers come from folks like you. Any info right now is good....potentially they will be flying me down in a few weeks or less for a interview, and until I arrive at there door Im crunching numbers, trying to figure out good areas to live...etc....research, research....and good intel from y'all. Keep it coming folks

12. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

Im not familiar at all with the area....but If I do this....Im gonna need a place with garage. I would rather be on the outskirts a bit.

I dont like asking people info like this....roughly what are ya paying for the house and two car garage? Im in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage right now....as long as I got a 2 car or equivalent....life is good...or im gonna have a pile of parts and tools stacked on each other[/QUOTE]

Man, I was stuck for 2 years in a damn apartment with no garage. I had tools and car parts piled up on my balcony! Ended up getting into a fight with my last apartment over my 66 not having registration and inspections stickers. I explained to the bitch that it's an antique vehicle, and the rear plate is all it needs. She went as far as calling the code inspector out! He told her the same thing I did, and she never talked to me or the wife again! lol

It depends on where about's you want to live man. Working on the rigs, you won't need to live in Dallas. Most of the rigs are in the Ft. Worth and areas south of that. You can move to one of the small towns south of of DFW depending on where you are working and make out like a bandit. Problem will be that those are the ONLY jobs down there in most cases, so if something happens, you'll be commuting a long way to find decent money.
    Ft. Worth is cheaper than Dallas I hear but has less of a job market. I would have moved there, but it's too far of a commute for both the wife and myself to our jobs.
    Most rents will run you just shy of 1k for a nice sized house with a garage, give or take a couple hundred depending on area where you want to live. I live in "the bad part" of Dallas (Oak Cliff), but it's not bad at all. Cross the highway, and I won't even drive around over there. Dallas as a whole is very hit or miss. You can go from houses that retail close to a million dollars to slummy apartments in a couple of blocks..it's a weird place.

13. Will350z

Will350z

Sent ya a PM...

14. BISHOP

BISHOP

I lived in the DFW area for 8yrs..... Get in touch with a real estate agent, tell them what you want and they will find it. Dont try to find you a place after you get here, DFW area is huge.

Your going to love Texas.

15. I have lived in the heart of the City of Dallas for 35 years. Dallas is a very diverse city and when you figure in the surrounding cities of Ft. Worth, Irving, Lewisville, etc. there are over 5 million folks living here. You can just about find any kind of living accomodations you want and can afford. Take Bishop's advise and get with a local realtor. Those guys can make your information gathering effort a lot easier and can answer just about any questions you might have on the area.

Welcome to God's country!

16. vettsplit63

vettsplit63
    from Texas

Hey- Don't rag on Fayetteville too much! I was stationed there for a couple of years- Well actually lived in Spring Lake, but there is a lot of stuff to do around the state, and the countryside is beautiful. I found the people to be very much "down home" too. I really like living in Texas, but NC ain't bad either. Just sayin.....

17. Dchaz

Dchaz

If you dont mind having a little drive there is still alot or country southwest or dallas around Mansfield- Venus area (worked in west dallas for a couple years and it was about a 45 min drive) Or a little south of Dallas in the Middleothian(sp?) area. You may end up drving further but its alot quieter and cheaper than Dallas. When you get north of Dallas its more expensive.

18. I hear rumor in September the state will not allow you to register old plates any longer. Anybody have any news on this? I registered some '28's today and did not have a problem and they said nothing nor did I ask.

I work in the oil industry and I have not heard anything bad about your company. They have a huge facility in Sugarland (S.W. Houston area).

19. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

I have friends who work for Schlumberger... I have my own oilfield company Empire Services that works with them pretty often... They are a big company and a good company..You will get plenty of hours and work...Dallas area however is somewhat dead compared to down here in south Texas when it comes to the oilfield.

As far as hot rodding goes, This is a good place to be... you will find plenty to do. Austin is a major hot rod city and not too far from Dallas...
    You better make the Lonestar Roundup.

20. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

I work for one of the major offshore drillers (note that we have pretty much left the Gulf of Mexico and moved most rigs overseas due to the idiots that run the country) Schlumberger is a great company in our part of the world and has great opportunity for growth. Well servicing is a biggie for them and hope thats the end you will be in. I have a son that lives just to the northeast of Dallas in Wylie and he loves it. You get so much more in the burbs for your money. He had a loft in downtown "D" but like you said, lots of money and NO car work space. He has a 3 car garage/shop now and just loves it. Gotta plan on your commute tho but its a great place and not too far from Austin and LSRU.

21. 36tbird

36tbird

You need to revise the title to your posting, respectfully submitted. Dallas ain't Texas. Sorry to be this way, but from my history down here in South Texas (San Antonio area), I think that it has to be said.

Wow, you will see down below that I am instructed to "suck a d...!" when I post something like this that has no profanity and I say "respectfully submitted". I think that person from DFW makes my point for me. Another example is the Mavericks' owner. These two are obviously related.:p

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  22. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

I was contracted out to them In Kuala Lumpur then down to Kerta on the south china sea They treated me O.K. But about Texas car nuts lookout you may never want to leave. We play hard !

23. 52RAM108

52RAM108
    from 76564

The Lone Star State has several distinct areas: North Texas (DFW), West Texas (Lubbock), Far West Texas (El Paso), East Texas (Tyler), Central Texas (Waco), The Hill Country (Austin), The Panhandle (Amarillo), South Texas (San Antonio), Houston & Padre Island. Far and away, South Texas has more of the state's history, and some of the best food can be had down there, from Tex-Mex to REAL barbecue that's served on butcher paper WITHOUT sauce. Anyhow, if you've got a valid title in hand, transferring to a TX title ain't no big deal. If you don't have a title, or if the title is NOT in your name, well then, good luck to ya sir, cuz TXDoT will put ya through the wringer with some of their uninspired minions.

24. Anderson

Anderson

you mean North Mexico? :D

25. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  26. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

You will be in the middle of some of the best swap meets in the country. Pate's, Decatur, Chikasha. A word of advice on the vintage plates, get an inspection anyway, even though you don't need it, because most of the cops are ignorant to those rules and you may get pulled over, a lot.
    The weather shouldn't bother you but being from up north and specifically 16 years in Alaska, I didn't do well with the humidity. I love being outdoors and it just wasn't that enjoyable there.

27. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

Was thinking about moving to Texas,but then heard it snowed there!
    might as well stay where am at

28. Larry T

Larry T

Mostly in Amarillo, I sometimes think it's a suburb of Nome. (G)
    Larry T

29. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Don't know where you will be working but if you are on the southern edge, I would look at Ellis county. Home prices are way lower than any other area that is livable. A home on one acre in Ellis county will average $125,000, more or less depending on if it is in a city or in the county. In the county, you can build any size shop you have room for. Some of the city regs can be quite expensive to build shops (brick exterior, etc. vs all metal for county).

30. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

The days of antique plates are over in Texas. The cheating bastards that wanted to get by cheap with their every day rides ruined it for all the legitimate guys. There are no attended toll booths, at least in the DFW area, so it took the computers about 2 seconds to weed out the low life dick suckers that were using their antique plates on daily drivers. I hope they're proud of themselves. If you have antique plates they are grandfathered so your set but no more new ones.