Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Chop Or Not To Chop!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie57Ranchero, Apr 13, 2010.

1. blitz

blitz

i think if you are gonna finish the car glossy, i would love to see it mildly chooped. real mild 1/2 inch maybe a full inch. the car is real low and i think a little off the top with a mile deep black paint job would look great. Even some flake up top like Lee Pratt's 58 chev. Do it after you got money for paint

2. Please don't . Chopping that top makes the proportions bad. The '57 Ranchero is rare and just look so cool without being chopped. It's your choice of course,but why screw up such a cool looking vehicle ? Also sitting flat on the floor sucks.

3. Nope nope nope....

4. twochops

twochops

Started a thread called "Chopped 1957 Ranchero"
    Here's a PS I did to start it.-------TwoChops

Attached Files:

5. blt2go

blt2go

no. if you really want to chop one, find another car that needs work on the top already. yours is killer the way it is.

6. Mo$4Ford

Mo$4Ford

A few have already said it, "NO CHOP". Spend the money or time on what it absolutely needs. Proportions are good now.

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

WOW, is Masterson really re-doin this car? any chance of having more info?

Ah ah! i know what you mean, when i 1st seen it on the GNRS coverage thats exactley the impression it gave me, but hen I got struck by it from Viva....if i had it it would lose the port holes in the hood and the scalops.
    But overall its great!

Thanx

Back on track:
    so what are your thoughts now?

8. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

If chop it don't take to much it is nice in original hight

9. brewsir

brewsir

depends....do you want a mild custom that looks like every other stock 57 ranchero that has been restored and lowered....or a real custom with a mild chop that blows people away??? I know what I would do....but it's not mine!

10. JonnyAce

JonnyAce

My vote is no. While a mild chop would certainly look good, most auto makers in '57 were already getting on the "low roof looks good" bandwagon, so a stock roof height on your Ranchero would look best, especially if you intend to put graphics of some sort on. Also, one other thing to consider about chopping is the windshield. A wraparound windshield like the one on your Ranchero is always a pain in the rear to cut down. Aside from having a one-off custom piece made, your only other option is to take the windshield to a fine-grit verticle belt sander and take it down to dimension that way. All in all, if it was up to me, I probably would not chop it.

11. There are some cars that just don't need chops and it is rare that they are done right when someone tries; Riviera, 40 Ford, Shoebox, 57-59 Ranchero! Not saying it CAN'T be done, just saying they usually end up ruined! If you insist, no more than 1"-1 1/2" on a Ranchero. Otherwise it looks all out of proportion!

12. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. I say chop it, if you want to stand out or don't if you want it to look like the other Rancheros at the show. Is a 57 Ranchero really that rare? Or is it just really desirable? It seems like I only ever see 57's at shows, not 8's or 9's.

15. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

Cut the roof plum off and build a carson top then extend the wings up 7 inches quad the headlights and french in two lakepipes......... errrrr NOT!!!!!! JOKING!!!!! JUST JOKING. Bo's looks great but yours is clean. 57 rancho's and 54 Merc hardtops are just sweet looking outta the gate. Maybe a 59 bird hood scoop to break up the flat hood. I did that on my 57 wagon just give's it that lil bit of oooh to it. Saw yours at Viva and gotta tell ya it caught my eye great looking car man. just smooth!

16. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

The chopped one in the pics is fuckin sick, DO IT!

17. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

No, once again sometimes the factory gets it right. This is one of them. The red one above looks like the garage fell on it.

18. killbilly

killbilly

No,don't chop it ......but you could section about an inch and a half..that would really drivem crazy:rolleyes:

19. roddinron

roddinron

Doesn't need it.

20. Definitely no..

21. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Thanks for all the feedback guys i appreciate it! Ya if i were to chop it i wouldnt do anything over 2 inches! Like i said i think they look stupid if its too much. After alot of thought Ive decided to hold off on the chop and focus on finishing up the body and adding a few more custom touches and a real paint job by the mooneyes xmas show in december! Thanks again guys!

22. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Mine was already chopped 2 3/8"... but we replaced the cowl and front roof section to utilize an OEM 500 series windshield (un-chopped)

Attached Files:

23. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

i have seen a late 50s ranchero chopped here in yuma and it looks pretty sick aside from the fact that it isnt finished , so the welds are still pretty noticable but i think it looks great...chop it

24. sr

sr
    from Monterey

CHOP CHOP CHOP> that is what they are made for.

25. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Really cool, do you have any full pics of the car?

26. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Didnt know this thread would be brought back to life...Ive seen a few chopped 57s that looked cool, i think anything over 2 inches would be to extreme though...I decided not to go through with a chop and focus on other things (interior, custom touches, paint) ...Maybe one day ill decide to chop it though but no time soon (i think) haha

27. anthonyg

anthonyg
    from arizona

the black looks good for it not being the paint job you are planning on....car looks sick bro

28. robleticia

robleticia

I vote NO! It looks killer the way it is. But it IS YOUR CAR so do what YOU want! Either way, very cool car!

29. koolkemp

koolkemp

That looks slikxk lets see some more pics!